PDA

View Full Version : New Guy here, looking for for tips and advice.

Mnsmallengine
12-19-2010, 01:33 AM
I never really thought to look for an actual small business forum until tonight, so here i am. My names Brett, i'm from Duluth Minnesota. My father started a small engine repair business out of our garage early this year, and we've moved up to an actual shop now. He's making ends meat, which i think in its own is an accomplishment. We really jumped into this thing with both feet, unorganized and with no experience really.

In the summer we were getting almost more business then we could handle, yet we didnt feel we were making enough to pay for an employee, as most of the profit went to stocking inventory, tools etc. We do an ok job advertising, given obvious financial reasons. We're in the phone book, and have fliers in a lot of places with business cards attached.

Since winter has hit business has slowed some, we kind of caught us both off guard seeing as snowblowers, snowmobiles etc usually need to be gone over. Im trying to figure out ways to expand into something to keep things going. Perhaps selling used small engines parts on ebay or something of the like.

Really im here to introduce myself, i plan to do alot of searched in the days ahead.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or tips seeing as mentioned we're both new to opening/running a business. please post them!

Merry christmas Everyone! :cool:

-Brett

Steve B
12-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Welcome Brett - I always like hearing of a new member that deals with hardware and with the local public. Getting by a slow period of the year has always been a challenge for me. Right now, I'm on an unscheduled and unwanted "vacation" siince the ground has frozen in KY. I started a second business last year to help compensate for my slower months. It sounds like you're on the right track.

I use a small engine repair guy. At times of the year he offers free pick up and delivery. Maybe you could do that during the slow months.

Spider
12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, Brett. Congratulations on getting started in your own business with your dad. I'd like to comment on your longer term problem - well, not really a problem yet but will be the longer you leave it -- the problem of hiring employees. As a business coach, I work with businesses at that level of development, and hiring the first employee always turns out to be difficult. Yet it doesn't need to be difficult.

The reason one-person businesses have difficulty hiring is that the business owner is not geared up to be an employer. Mostly because the owner does not see himself as an employer - the employer mindset is not there. Most single-person operations I have come across are not really businesses, they are just a place where a self-employed person works. Running a business and being self-employed are two very different things.

Now, you may want to remain as self-empoyed, there's nothing wrong with that, and many of the people you will meet on these forum are self-employed. Being a business calls for a different way of thinking. If you want to grow your business, want to move to a larger workshop, employ many people, expand to other locations, grow into a multi-million dollar business - then you have to think differently. Making the mental shift to business-thinking is a lot easier at your present stage of development than trying to do it when you are entrenched in your self-employment thinking a couple of years from now.

Think about it. Decide now how you want your business to grow. Then you can chart your course. I have heard many people say, "I want to start a little business of my own," and that is all they ever have - a little business. Others say, "I am starting a big business and what you see might be small now, but it is the start of my big business." They are the ones that grow and become wealthy.

It's a choice -- a life choice. But it is a choice you would be wise to make at the beginning.

Mnsmallengine
12-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Also if anyone has a used OPEN sign that lights up and a cash register that they could sell really cheap it would be appreciated

Dan Furman
12-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Welcome Brett,

Indeed, what you guys have already done is an accomplishment. And good call in looking for "something" to fill the slower times. You are spot on about snowblowers/etc. The issue is getting one to you - unless one has a pickup truck, it's impossible. So as someone else mentioned, pickup / dropoff is a big deal with this. Can you do that?

Also, are you online? If someone typed in "snow blower repair <your town>", are you in the conversation? You definitely should be. With a real website (not just an online yellow pages listing.) If you aren't, this slow time is the perfect time to get rolling on that.

Merry Christmas to you too.

jamesray50
12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi Brett - welcome to our forum. Good luck with your business.

cbscreative
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Welcome, Brett, and I'm glad you found the best small biz forum. You'll integrate well here whether you enjoy just being self employed or have the goal to be a business owner as Spider pointed out. We have a good balance of both here, and that means a lot of experience to make this forum a valuable resource and great place to both learn and get support.

I'll also second what Dan said about being found online. I know in your biz, referrals are very important, but even referrals may very well look you up online before reaching for a phone book. I doubt you need an extensive web site for your business model, but you do need to be found. Being able to schedule an appt online would be great as a customer convenience, especially if you offer the pickup and delivery mentioned above. If your competition doesn't offer that, it's all the more reason for you to do so.

Patrysha
12-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Brett - welcome to the forum :-) I really can't add too much to the info provided above. Pick up and delivery and a customer geared website will go a long way to perking up business. Also, I think combining a website with social media and a bit of print and a ton of customer direct marketing that you can accomplish quite a bit on a local level.

J from Michigan
12-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Nice to meet you, Brett.

I might suggest finding an Adwords coupon... I've seen $75 and $100 ones selling for $15 bucks.

It might keep the phones ringing during the slow months.
(I have the same problem... winter=slow.) :(

vangogh
12-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum Brett. Definitely an accomplishment to get a business started at any time and perhaps even more now when the economy is what it is. I would think it makes sense to see more business over the summer as more people are driving in the nice weather. Maybe some specific offers geared toward winter, like a winter tuneup, or a check of tires could help bring people in.

I'm sure you'll figure something out and we'll be happy to help if we can. Thanks for joining the community.