PDA

View Full Version : Hate your job? or anything else?

Spider
03-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I read something today on Sara Blumenfeld (http://sarablumenfeld.com/)'s blog that I thought would serve some people here.

If you don't like something (your job, a relationship, whatever), then rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, and then, if it’s not a 10, list why it’s not a 10 and what would make it so. This focuses your attention onto all the reasons you are unhappy with a situation, what you want to change and how to change it.

Now your mind has been corraled from running loose and wallowing in the unhappiness of it, to being contained and confronted with the solution. There's really not much you can do except get on with solving the problem.

But here's a next step that is very important. When you have the first step going, look at the other side of the corral - why did you give the situation the rating you did? If you gave it a 4, why? Why wasn't it a 2, or a 1? There must have been some good in it.

Make another list of all the things that are good about the situation and start looking for those things to happen - start expecting them and note them when they do.

This way, you switch that unruly brain of yours from focusing on the problem to focusing on the solution. And that is where your happiness and success is waiting to be discovered.

greenoak
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
thats a neat exercise .thanks... kind of like the 80/20 thing which is a good one too....

Harold Mansfield
03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
If I hate something I usually change it quickly. Sometimes on the spot.
My problem is that I get bored easily. What ever it is, is never exiting enough.

Spider
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I have the answer for you, Harold, but it's not so easy to spill out as a quick tip. The idea and explanation AND the process is detailed in my book, Keep Your Eyes On The Prize. (Which you can find on Amazon.com, if you feel inclined.)