PDA

View Full Version : 2 aDDRESSES

greenoak
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
my web person is back today...and we are going to be looking at how good our profiles are...as suggested on here...and also to put our address on each page of our website...as suggwested on here...
.. we have 2 addresses, mailing and shipping....
will it dilute our google to have both on? or should i just choose one to put on ?
any info appreciated...thanks ann

Duston McGroarty
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Ann,

By profiles, do you mean Google Places profiles?

The purpose of adding your address to your site is so it can
get indexed in the search engines as a local business.

So if someone is looking for a service you offer in your
local area, they'll find you.

So that's the address you will want to put on there...
whichever address that will allow you to get found
the easiest.

vangogh
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Ann I would mainly use the address that leads customers to your physical store. I assume that's the mailing address. I'm guessing that the shipping address is used less by customers and more by suppliers in which case I would build a specific page or section for suppliers and give them that address.

In general just make sure you use the appropriate address in the appropriate place and make sure to let people know what the address is for. In some places (for example your page titles) you don't even need the entire address. In that case you probably just want to show town and state.

greenoak
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
thanks....our 2 addresses are about a block apart...the storeis at the shipping address.. the gps one is the shipping address....i just wondered if having them both on would dilute googles evaluation of our site......

Harold Mansfield
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
thanks....our 2 addresses are about a block apart...the storeis at the shipping address.. the gps one is the shipping address....i just wondered if having them both on would dilute googles evaluation of our site......

Don't use them both. Only use the one that will bring people to the front door. Location searches and geotargeting is used by consumers.

vangogh
04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Don't use them both

I would only suggest that if one of the two addresses doesn't serve a purpose. If the shipping address is the physical store then you naturally want it on the site. But if people might look to your site to know where to mail something and you want that to go to the other address then you should list that address too. Just make it clear what each address is for.

I don't think Google or Bing is going to care that you have 2 addresses a block apart otherwise all businesses that have multiple stores are in trouble. Where ranking is concerned they're more interested in your town than street address. You'd want to be consistent when it comes to promoting the store on Google place and anywhere else that asks for an address. I'd pick one address and always use it in those place On your site though list as many addresses as you want as long as you make it clear what each is for. Whichever address you use on other sites is the one I would make most prominent on your site.

greenoak
04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
both addresses serve a purpose.... and we have both on everything....
my question was does having both on the site confuse or dilute google...

vangogh
04-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's going to dilute anything with Google as long as your consistent with how you use the addresses. I think you'd want to pick one address as the main address to use (probably the one for the physical store). Use that address whenever you add a listing to something like Google Places. If you're going to show an address on every page of your site I'd use that same address. Then on a contact page or wherever appropriate you can use the other address as long as it's different purpose is made clear.

If you're thinking of adding the address to page titles I would just use your city and state.

Harold Mansfield
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
both addresses serve a purpose.... and we have both on everything....
my question was does having both on the site confuse or dilute google...

This isn't about Google. You should use this as a way to communicate with your potential customers. What do you want them to see. Google will reflect what ever information you put into it, but placing your shipping address (if it is different from your physical store address) is a waste of resources. Google places is not (necessarily) a B2B phonebook. It's a tool to help people find you.

greenoak
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
thanks....i just didnt want to dilute my google....the mailing address is for bills and just mail really....and the shipping and store address is the other....
we are putting the real physical address on everything and the mailing address on fewer things..just about exactly the way vg said.... ..
i guess you are both saying not to worry about having 2 adresses messing up our google rating....that was my concern....
this is such a pain....and because of the grid system[911 addresses] that changed the store address,,,, the store sits on one side of a 90 degree turn which makes it have a different road number....total hassle to dh when they did that a few years ago....the post office made us change ...