PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Dementia

Patrysha
04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Been seriously blessing my mom's memory over the last week or so, since my mother in law was released from the hospital into our care...more specifically my care since hubby left for training for a new job on Sunday night...so I'm left here to balance my job, my business, three boys and his medically and mentally fragile mom thinking "seriously schizophrenia was easier than this!"

I don't know if the difference is that mom was mostly a nice person and I'm quite certain the in law was the inspiration behind "Heaven won't take me and Hell is afraid I'll take over" or it's just that so much time has passed since my mom had an episode that I was witness to...but this has been much harder to deal with.

I don't think I've ever reminded myself that "this too shall pass" so often in such a short amount of time...

Spider
04-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Hang in, there, Patrysha.

greenoak
04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
good luck...

vangogh
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Hang in there Patrysha. My grandmother had Alzheimer's so I'm familiar with what it does. It's not an easy thing to deal with. My grandmother went from forgetful in a sometimes humorous sometimes scary sort of way. I can't tell you it's going to get easier, but I'm sure you'll manage. Good luck.

Paper Shredder Clay
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
You have my prayers and thoughts. My grandmother had Alzheimer's. She was a great lady, one of the most intelligent persons, I've met. Caretaking is emotionally draining, but it's worth it. Stay strong.

KristineS
04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
My thoughts are with you Patrysha. Dementia is very hard to deal with, and even tougher when you're caretaking alone.

Hang tough and remember to take care of yourself.

Patrysha
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
She passed away yesterday afternoon in her sleep in the hospital. Her condition was deteriorating rapidly at home over the past week and I finally called the ambulance last Thursday as she had weakened so much...

vangogh
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I assume this wasn't unexpected given what was going on, but it's always sad nonetheless. Hope you and your family are doing as well as can be expected.

Dan Furman
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Thoughts and prayers, Patrysha

Patrysha
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Did ya have to send snow with those thoughts and prayers? Really? We're good...I'm sure there'll be some messy emotional stuff bubbling up over the next while...especially when we head out to clear out her apartment...but for the most part it's a long awaited closure...

vangogh
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Clearing out the apartment will be tough. I'm sure it'll bring lots of memories to the surface. Probably good for closure though.

KristineS
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, but you're right, sometime there is some relief mixed in with the other feelings. When you know it's never going to get better, sometimes you just wish for things to be done.

Patrysha
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
nah, I'm not worried about memories so much as the fact that she has too much stuff and most of it is junk she picked up at thrift stores and yard sales.Having moved her seven or eight times over the past 21 years, we know it's going to be a killer job...one we've been dreading for a long time.

Blessed
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds almost as bad as cleaning out my Grandmother's house was - it took them 3 months to go through it, of course it was a 5 bedroom, 2 story house with an office and a full basement that they'd lived in since 1957 but yeah... I hear you on the brutal part. We found hundreds of little margarine containers with buttons, screws, nails, and all sorts of other stuff mixed in with priceless family heirlooms that were stashed amidst the junk. Junk mail, in the same stack as letters from "the homeland", old photographs, and etc...

But, it's done now - the things are sorted, distributed and the house is sold.

Good luck with your project!

Patrysha
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Good luck with your project!

Uh yeah...about that...I'm going to take the cowards way out and duck out of the bulk of the work...the boys are doing it this weekend and I have clients booked most of the day Friday and have a shift at the restaurant Saturday...

Blessed
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I'd call you "chicken" but I think you're just being smart about it ;)

Patrysha
04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Well it is THEIR mother...and I did ALL the diaper duty...so...they're gonna have a hard time guilting me into helping at all...