PDA

View Full Version : You caught another one!

lovemyphoto
04-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey,

My name is Laura, and although I don't currently have my own business, I am looking into getting my own name in the photography world. I thought this forum might help me learn the ins and outs of the small business world and learn what all is entailed. Besides, the business and economical lingo just spins me in circles, so hopefully I'll get straightened out in that department, too!

Any (nice) suggestions for a confused newbie?

Dan Furman
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Welcome, Laura.

I guess the first thing I would suggest is having a nice display of your pictures - a photoblog or flikr account/etc. Do you have anything like that setup?

Spider
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Laura. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Patrysha
04-17-2011, 12:04 AM
In addition to information you gather from this forum, I would also suggest ILP forum which is specific to photographers...especially the higher end black and white, glamour, maternity/newborn/family type stuff, though they did have a wedding section that was quite active when I was there a few years ago. I lurked there on behalf of one of my very first marketing clients (a photographer just making the transition from hobbyist to pro) back in 2003.

Harold Mansfield
04-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Laura,
Getting started is actually easier than you think.

vangogh
04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the forum Laura. Lots of ways you can make a name for yourself in the Photography world. We'll do our best to help you find some of those ways and if we ever speak too much lingo, just ask what something means and someone will give you an answer.

Nice to have you here and thanks for joining the community.

lovemyphoto
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I don't have a website at the moment. I need to get a portfolio put together and get that going. The biggest thing keeping me from making a website is I don't know what to "call myself." I don't know the requirements for creating a business name, and internet sources just spin me in circles instead of giving me clear information. I've heard using my name doesn't require a business license. But if I wanted to create a business name without using my name, do I need a business license or not? What do I need?

lovemyphoto
04-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I really wish there was just a step by step list on how to start a small business lol. Wait.... is there one?

Harold Mansfield
04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
You can call yourself anything that you want. Just make sure that it isn't an existing company the does the same thing. A trademark or copyright infringement, but most importantly...see if the domain is available as a .com.
Just start posting questions in the forum. You will get plenty of help.

Spider
04-17-2011, 11:38 PM
In Houston, we have a government office called "Houston One-Stop" that provides a package of documents for any particular business of all the local city, state and national government requirements. Check and see if there is a "One-Stop" office in your city.

Best place to start inquiring would be the Clerk (County Clerk, City Clerk) at your local courthouse.

Another good place for all sorts of questions of this nature is your local librarian at your public library. Those folk are a fountain of information. And it is all accurate, official and local to your jurisdiction.

Public Librarians are a "best kept secret" of the business world.

lovemyphoto
04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow, thanks, Spider, for the info! I'll check it out!!!

cbscreative
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Laura, welcome. I would add one thing to eborg's suggestion about seeking an available domain name. Create a list of domain names you want to check before searching. When you search and find them available, register IMMEDIATELY. They can disappear withing a few hours after you search. At $10 a year, get all the ones you might want to have...it's cheap insurance to secure your name.

Another rule to keep in mind with domain names is the shorter the better. Try to get something easy to remember. If there is a common misspelling, or a plural, register that too. Let me give you an example. The SBF is singlular, but because the potential exists for someone to put an s on forum, www.small-business-forums.net (www.small-business-forums.net) still directs to us without an error. You can have as many variations as you think you need and point them all to one location. We have people here who can help you do that, or your web designer will know how to do that too.

Speaking of web designers, if you use a local designer, there is a good possibility they could use your services. Speaking as a web guy, we get clients giving us some really sad images. You may be able to get commercial work through them if you are interested in doing commercial work.

KristineS
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Laura, welcome to the forum.

Most states will have info for small business owners on the state government website. Another option would be your local chamber of commerce, or Small Business Administration office.

Blessed
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the forum Laura!

Everyone else has given you some great "get started" ideas! So I'll just say welcome :)