PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Amish country

sb55
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
My name is Steve and I live in southern Wayne County, Ohio. I own a small (my wife & I) B2B that offers hand soldering. We rework and modify printed circuited boards, offer post wave assembly and soldering, and assemble wire harnesses. An opportunity has presented itself that involves our local Amish community. I would like to bounce this idea off the forum in a future post. Thank you.

Spider
04-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome aboard, Steve.

Oh boy! Another Steve - sure you're not a George or a Cuthbert or something, I don't think we have any of those, but we do have about 300 Steves! Still, one more won't hurt, I suppose. Welcome! :-)

cbscreative
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the Den of Steves from another Steve northwest of you in Grand Rapids, MI. It might be fun to see how many other Steves chime in here.

Patrysha
04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi from a not-a-Steve. I do wonder how many there are now exactly...

Blessed
04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
<groan> another Steve... :) Oh well... I've known some very nice Steve's in my life and I like all the Steve's I've met here so one more should be all right!

Looking forward to hearing about your opportunity within the Amish community!

vangogh
04-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the forum Steve. Great name by the way :) Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Looking forward to hearing what it is.

Thanks for joining the community.

sb55
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Maybe all the Steves should relocate to one area and create the "State of Steve". LOL

vangogh
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
We all live in Stevesylvania at the moment, but some of us are thinking of moving to New Stevestown. :)

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
You guys are punny.:)
Welcome to the forum Steve.

KristineS
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve. The more Steves the merrier.

cbscreative
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
In case you haven't already guessed, vangogh's real name is Steve. Some people mistakingly call him Vincent, but he can't hear that unless you speak into the ear he still has.

vangogh
04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
What? Huh? What? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you. Could you repeat what you said?

greenoak
04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
welcome....
do you mean an opportunity for the amish to build for you? in that case i would look at piece work....thats how we do our cupboards..we agreed on a price and they do the work at their shop and bring them back to us each week..... i like it a lot..i dont have to worry if they are wasting time or getting hurt on my saw..... if you can agree on the quality and the price its really nice.... you just make orders and get them back on the agreed upon day....
one question will be are they independant contractors? thats pretty important and also complicated....

sb55
04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like you have a good set up Greenoak. I'm guessing you provide the build specifications and they supply the material. I would be providing both the spec. and the materials. And I believe that would make them employees.

greenoak
04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
thats an important legal question...
... but my understanding is that if they do that kind of work for other people then they can be considered independant contractors.... and our crew does that work for others...not on our scale tho.....we dont consider them employees..... and for sure dont want to ...our guys do supply most of the material....
i love piece work....and i dont care how much they make.... one of my guys can come up with a 1500$$$ pile a week if i need it...

sb55
04-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Piecework would definitely be a plus for me and would probably work well for them too.