PDA

View Full Version : 800 #s

Attendant
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the planning/startup phase of my small business, and I was wondering if I could get some input on 800 numbers. I will be running the business from my home, but don't currently have a home phone line. I was looking at getting an 800#, but it seems like most places I look at only provide the number and some assortment of minutes to go with it--and not a phone line (phone service). Does anyone know of a company that provides both for a reasonable monthly rate. If you do not, then how does your business handle 800 #s (or phone service in general)?

I know about Google voice, but it works like most of the 800 # providers. I am looking for more of a wholistic system. I've been searching around the internet for a couple weeks and really haven't made to much headway, so any input would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike

Russ in Vancouver
05-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Hello and welcome,

I think what you would need is a VOIP phone like Vonage, this way you can get a call anywhere in N.A. or the world plan and save a ton on long distance if your prospects are calling from all over the country and you need to call them back. I am not sure if they can bundle an 800 number with it but usually an 800 service provider will have a bunch of add on services you can order individually. The call forwarding is the way that it will connect to you and your voip phone. The 800 service can be as low as zero per month but most seem to be around 4-10 dollras a month, then they will charge you for the minutes used when people call your 800 and are forwarded to you.

What business are you starting up? Online or brick and mortar?

billbenson
05-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm on the phone all day long with customers around the country and occasionally around the world. I only remember one customer asking for an 800 number. I think most people today have cell phones or phones with national calling included. I don't think an 800 number is necessary anymore.

I think you can go through any telephone service including Vonage or your local wireline company and get 800 service, but I'm not sure.

Attendant
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I agree with you, it's very uncommon for a person to have a phone plan that doesn't include nationwide calling these days. It's more of a branding/vanity thing. Vonage does provide 800#s, but it's an extra $5/mo for the # and 100 minutes, you can't have a vanity number like 1-800-FLOWERS, and it is like 5 cents a minute after the 100.

My business provides remote tech support, so having an 800# would help provide a sense of credibility/big business. That's at least how I view it, the customer may actually see it differently. If the latter is the case then I won't even bother with the 800#.

Again, thank you for your replies.

Attendant
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry, a bit more information. I've looked at companies like RingCentral, GrassHopper, PhonePeople, OneBox, VOIP.com, Phone.com, PhoneBooth, Lingo... but they all seem to lack either the 800# (or it's priced similar to Vonage's), or the phone service. The most promising one so far is Toktumi, but I need to check into them a little more.

billbenson
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I thought about it from the credibility aspect as well, but I really don't think I've ever lost an order because of it. My site does a lot of branding in other ways though.

FYI, I use Vonage for my business line. While its not perfect, its a good service and I recommend it. I've had poor quality connections at times in the past, but in thinking about it, its been at least 6 months since I've had a bad connection. I'd probably attribute that to improving VoIP infrastructure though. Its still kind of coming out of its infancy as a technology.

Attendant
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I think I might start out with a regular number for now and then upgrade to an 800 number later if I can find conclusive proof that it will help. I wasn't trying to knock Vonage, their rates are right on par with most mainstream 800# providers, the only thing I could say con I could mention is the inability to get a vanity #.

Again, thanks for your input :).

MyITGuy
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
I think I might start out with a regular number for now and then upgrade to an 800 number later if I can find conclusive proof that it will help. I wasn't trying to knock Vonage, their rates are right on par with most mainstream 800# providers, the only thing I could say con I could mention is the inability to get a vanity #.

Again, thanks for your input :).

Seems that my original post is still pending moderation =(

In regards to vanity 800 #'s, check out tollfreenumbers dot com. You can order a vanity number through them and port it to your provider

If you want to provide some additional feedback, I may be able to provide some creative solutions for you:
Do you have your own PBX? If so what make/model?
What types of customers do you service (I.E. Residential or businesses)?
How many geographical areas do you service?

MyITGuy
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Sorry, a bit more information. I've looked at companies like RingCentral, GrassHopper, PhonePeople, OneBox, VOIP.com, Phone.com, PhoneBooth, Lingo... but they all seem to lack either the 800# (or it's priced similar to Vonage's), or the phone service. The most promising one so far is Toktumi, but I need to check into them a little more.

Check out voip dot ms, or vitelity dot com. They offer Toll Free #'s for less than $2 a month, then you pay per minute after that. Definetly cheaper than vonage and their "free" 100 minutes =D

Attendant
05-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks MyITGuy. I've decided to go ahead with the toll free number, for credibility/big business feel, and because it's pretty much expected in the industry I am entering into.

What I did is register my vanity # with TollFreeNumbers dot com, and ported it to Toktumi(pronounced talk to me). Toktumi provides unlimited minutes, doesn't charge a transfer fee (I think this only applies during the 7 day trial period), and is only $14.95/mo.

It has an auto-attendant which is something I wanted, but it is only single level (eg you can't have cx's "press 1 to speak with billing/customer support" and then "press 2 to speak with billing"), but that doesn't bother me since I'm a one-man-show. It does show you which option they pressed when the call comes through.

They have a softphone which was a must have for me, I didn't want to deal with setting up a PBX, forwarding the number to my cell/other phone, setting up SIP or anything like that.

The other thing it lacks is a "queue", but I believe I've found a way around that. I will post back if I've figured it out.

So far I'm happy with the service provided by them, and they check out in terms of reviews/BBB.

Attendant
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
If you want to provide some additional feedback, I may be able to provide some creative solutions for you:
Do you have your own PBX? If so what make/model?
What types of customers do you service (I.E. Residential or businesses)?
How many geographical areas do you service?

In regards to these questions:
1) Nope no PBX.
2) I service residential customers now, and later I will start support small business.
3) I would like to be able to field remote support requests from anywhere in the US, but will only be providing in-home services to Northwestern Oregon

billbenson
05-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Attendant, can you go into some of the services you are talking about such as auto attendent, press 0 for operator, 1 for customer service etc? Also can you tell us how you are using it as a one man show.

The reason I ask is I'm a one man show that tries to appear like a large company. It works for me and I don't have the 800 number. I've always thought about doing things like a press 1 for customer service etc., but it seems superficial since no matter what they press they will get me.

I did get a pissed off customer a while back who demanded my name and wanted to speak to my boss. I told him he doesnt' take customer calls and gave him a dummy email I use for those things. Customer never emailed anyway.

MyITGuy
05-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks MyITGuy. I've decided to go ahead with the toll free number, for credibility/big business feel, and because it's pretty much expected in the industry I am entering into.

What I did is register my vanity # with TollFreeNumbers dot com, and ported it to Toktumi(pronounced talk to me). Toktumi provides unlimited minutes, doesn't charge a transfer fee (I think this only applies during the 7 day trial period), and is only $14.95/mo.

It has an auto-attendant which is something I wanted, but it is only single level (eg you can't have cx's "press 1 to speak with billing/customer support" and then "press 2 to speak with billing"), but that doesn't bother me since I'm a one-man-show. It does show you which option they pressed when the call comes through.

They have a softphone which was a must have for me, I didn't want to deal with setting up a PBX, forwarding the number to my cell/other phone, setting up SIP or anything like that.

The other thing it lacks is a "queue", but I believe I've found a way around that. I will post back if I've figured it out.

So far I'm happy with the service provided by them, and they check out in terms of reviews/BBB.

Not a problem! In regards to some of the functionality you mentioned, there are some services out there that provide the functionality your looking for. Just do a search on hosted auto attendant (I.E. 8x8, Innoport and etc)

If you have the ability to host your own PBX I definitely recommend it. You can get the hardware for less than $400 and provides all of the functionality and more that your looking for. Otherwise feel free to PM me and I can host a PBX for you, or you can use the services of other providers such as rentpbx.com

Attendant
05-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Not a problem! In regards to some of the functionality you mentioned, there are some services out there that provide the functionality your looking for. Just do a search on hosted auto attendant (I.E. 8x8, Innoport and etc)

If you have the ability to host your own PBX I definitely recommend it. You can get the hardware for less than $400 and provides all of the functionality and more that your looking for. Otherwise feel free to PM me and I can host a PBX for you, or you can use the services of other providers such as rentpbx.com

I may look into this stuff more seriously a little bit later, for right now I have other more pressing needs since what I've setup works for right now.

Thank you again for your assistance, I'll check back in again soon.

Attendant
05-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Attendant, can you go into some of the services you are talking about such as auto attendent, press 0 for operator, 1 for customer service etc? Also can you tell us how you are using it as a one man show.

I am not exactly sure whether you want to know about the services Toktumi provides, or the services I provide. Here's a link (https://www.toktumi.com/Features.aspx) to the services Toktumi provides. As for me, my main gig is providing remote technical support services to consumers/end users. Most, if not all, of my competitors have 800#s, and offer 24x7 support.

The reason I ask is I'm a one man show that tries to appear like a large company. It works for me and I don't have the 800 number. I've always thought about doing things like a press 1 for customer service etc., but it seems superficial since no matter what they press they will get me.

:D It is a little superficial, but I still get a kick out of it when I tell my friends/family.

I did get a pissed off customer a while back who demanded my name and wanted to speak to my boss. I told him he doesnt' take customer calls and gave him a dummy email I use for those things. Customer never emailed anyway.

That is a good response, I would've just called up my wife and had her take the call :D :P.

tylerhutchinson
05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I think 800 numbers are really not needed anymore. As stated before, most people have national coverage and many big companies use local numbers now. I have never lost business with my local line and I think the extra cost for a 800 number does not pay for the extra "professional" look.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Russ in Vancouver
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi attendant,

How are things working out for you at toktumi?

I have checked out the voip.ms and toktumi and would be interested to hear your feedback after you had some time to fiddle around during your 1 week trial.

After setup for the 1800 vanity number, are there any recurring charges for monthly fees or minutes?

Thanks

Russ in Vancouver
06-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I couldnt wait, I signed up with toktumi's 7 day free trial, its pretty cool stuff. The auto attendant has 11 options to press on the telephone keypad, one can have a different message for every extension. unlimited calls in USA Canada, the smart phone app is really cool and the big bonus for me compared to skype phone on my iphone......the bluetooth headset works with toktumi.

I am digging it.

Customer service is lacking though, supposedly until you become apaying subscriber.

Another great aspect is, there is no contract commitment.

If anyone wants to check out what I did in a few hours and how it can change the consumers impression of your business, PM me and I will give you my 1-800 number to try.