PDA

View Full Version : Smart Jobs in Growing Industries

vangogh
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Last month Wired Magazine ran a special report, which listed some industries that are growing and expected to continue to grow.

The article begins with a bar chart showing percentage gains in job categories 2006-2010. The put the chart together by asking 7 million LinkedIn members that have switched jobs what they switched to. Probably not the most scientific method for acquiring the data, but interesting nonetheless.

The top 3 probably won't be a huge surprise

1. Renewables and the environment (56.8%)
2. Internet (29.8%)
3. Online Publishing (29.1%)

Here's the online version of the article (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/05/ff_jobsessay/) with 13 more industries. The magazine version of the article adds more details. I just noticed those details are only a click away. Look toward the bottom of the article, above the comments, on the right side of the Smart Jobs graphic.

One of the interesting things the article discusses is where the middle class fits in the economy as far as jobs are concerned. We're used to white collar and blue collar jobs, but they're seeing a new category emerge called Smart Jobs.

Smart Jobs tend toward the innovative and high tech, but while they're specialized they don't require advanced degrees. They typically require some kind of training though.

Smart jobs seem to fall somewhere in between blue and white collar jobs. Examples are working for a company that manufactures RFID technology in Dayton, OH or producing new batteries for hybrid-electric cars in Reading PA. These jobs aren't necessarily everywhere, but they are spread out across the country and give a peak into where our economy is probably heading.

TotalPC
06-28-2011, 08:13 PM
thanks for that, a very interesting article. I am actually suprised at the growth in the renewables industry. It is a good thing though, because that sector is extremely important.

vangogh
06-29-2011, 12:21 AM
I found it in the magazine and thought it was good and would probably be of interest to people here so I searched their site online figuring I could find the article there too.

The renewables didn't surprise me all that much. I think we're finally reaching a point where renewables are on par as far as cost and price as non-renewables. Assuming both are priced similarly most people would likely go for the environmentally option. I'm not sure, but I'm also thinking they included things like wind and solar in this category as opposed to the oil and energy category. If that's true the huge growth makes a lot of sense as those are industries growing fast and also a good example of the whole smart job category.

A year ago (maybe 2) I think I was reading about some of the jobs the wind industry would be creating. They required training, though not necessarily an advanced degree. They were more tech oriented and they also paid rather well. The kind of person who might have chosen a factory job in years past could be a good fit as long as they were willing to put in the time to be trained.

A lot of blue collar jobs are leaving the US and probably not ever coming back. Smart jobs come across as a step up the chain and so make sense for us to focus on economically and they make sense as a good replacement for those workers who's jobs are moving overseas.

tylerhutchinson
06-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.