PDA

View Full Version : Question for Entrepreneurs and/or Current Business Owners!

BusinessKickoff
09-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I have a few questions for those that have started their own business, or are even in the process! Thanks so much for your input! It would be great to get a good discussion going!

At any time during your planning or start up process did you utilize outside services to help start your business? If yes, did you pay for these services?

Who did you receive the outside help from and how did you find them?

How did this assistance effect your start up process? Could you have started without utilizing outside help?

Thank you all so much! This will be so helpful to me!

Spider
09-14-2011, 11:05 PM
It would help if you explained the sort of outside help you are considering. I started my business with a lawyer to incorporate us and get the registration and legal framework up and running, and an accountant to set up the books and accounting procedures. The accountant remained as our independent auditor. The rest I did myself, but I was particularly knowledgeable about the business I was creating - which, I think, is a necessity for anyone starting a business - that they are knowledgeable about the business they are creating.

Did I pay for the services I hired - of course!

KingTomato
09-15-2011, 04:30 AM
You might look into Small Business Development Centers. Below is the link from sba.gov, I used my local one which is about 60 miles from me at a college. They provide market research, business plan advice and lots more for free.
Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/content/small-business-development-centers-sbdcs)

RMMarketing
09-17-2011, 06:42 AM
If you know any small business owners, hit them up. Take them to lunch and pick their brains. While most owners are very busy, they usually love talking about how they started, what they would do differently, etc. It doesnt matter what the business type is, just pick their brains.

phanio
09-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I am a hands on person - thus, did everything myself. If I didn't know it - I learned it. It made my start up process slower but really helps me today. I think it depends on your business as well as how much time you have. If your business is open and you are busy then by all means outsource what you can and focus on your customers. Plus, some people just don't have the ability to take on new concepts and tasks easily - so, if you want to focus on what you already do best - then do that.
The thing about any outsourcing or all business decisions is to focus on return. What will it cost (both time and money) and what do you get in return. If the return is large enough then by all means - outsource everything.

Reflo Ltd
09-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Similar to Phanio, I am also very much hands-on. I am an inventor with a new product. I designed the product, made my own prototypes and tested various configurations, made CAD drawings, built my own website and handle my own marketing. I even registered myself with the Ohio Secretary of Sate's office as a business, set up sales tax account with the state, etc.

Services I hired out were limited to that of a patent attorney.

I located and negotiated with suppliers that make my product and packaging... I even designed the packaging myself.

Another hire out and money very well spent was to the services of a professional photographer to take pics of our product for our website. I huge difference between his work and taking pics yourself. Presentation is a huge part of sales.

I also put together and distribute my own press releases which have generated a LOT of sales and are getting us exposure across the nation. I even wrote the script for our commercial that is running locally at the moment... but it was filmed by the TV station that is running the ads. They produce the commercial at no extra charge in return for buying the ad spots.

I agree that being so hands-on is great for building an intimate understanding of your business from top to bottom but the day will come where I will likely hire out more stuff.

huggytree
09-18-2011, 10:06 AM
i found a mentor...probably the best way to get a start in business....he taught me how to bid and run a plumbing business...even gave me some good pointers on how to handle customers....it was a 4 hour class that he gave me 1 on 1....even gave me some paper work on bidding and a CD with every city's permit

my accountant taught me how to do quick books and how to handle the money end of the business....most accountants i interviewed didnt want to bother........i ended up going with a old friend of mine because he was willing to spend 1-2 hours schooling me....

i read some basic business books which were specific to my business, but always found them sooo vague that they didnt help at all....the books had pricing advice which is extremely unrealistic (basically to charge double what i now charge)

once my business was started this forum is what i used to help me change and grow....the first 6 months my business changed a lot and became successful at around the 8 month point

thegoodsoldiers
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
The good thing about the company we got started with sets you up with all that, well we technically had to invest $300 into it so you can say we paid to get started but it's well worth it. We have access to tons of marketing tools, training and resources to assist us in building out little company. If they didn't give us the help in the beginning, I think you can definitely do it with the help of some outside resources on how to start up and promote a new business.