PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find clients?

bxlnt
11-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I started up my own graphic and web design business a while back, but have had a hard time finding clients? My clients can really be from anywhere in the world since it is a design business.

KristineS
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I guess the first question is what are you already doing to find clients? Do you have a Twitter feed? A Facebook page? Have you advertised anywhere? It's hard to make recommendations if we don't know what you're already doing.

Reflo Ltd
11-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I would have to think that your line of business is very tough with competition because there are so many others offering the same services and they can commonly do so as a side business and they can do it from home. There is very little cost for anyone to start a graphic and web design business.

I would also think that they best advertisement for you would be a showcase of your work. Doing work for recognizable clients is also a big component of building notoriety and credibility. You may find that you'll do some work for an exceptionally good price in order to build a portfolio.

I know a guy locally that owns : Boom Creative : Graphic Design, Advertising and Marketing Firm in Cleveland, Ohio : web design, website design, graphic design, Ohio graphic designers, Canton Ohio, Akron Ohio, Cleveland Ohio web design companies, Cleveland Ohio website design comp (http://www.boom-creative.com) and I think his site is a great example of what I am talking about.

nealrm
11-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes - technically your clients can be anywhere in the world. But, when starting a business 95% of your work will come from people you already know or their contacts. I would spend 50% of your time on people you know and any contacts you can get from them. Spend 25% of you time promoting yourself in your region, 15% for the rest of your country, 8% for other counties that share a language and the remaining 2% on the rest of the world.

JacobBergeron
11-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I completely agree with nealrm, his percentages are quite accurate in how you should spend your time, energy, and money. I have learned this lesson firsthand, it is smarter to build off what is tangible and "real world" contacts before having high hopes for the "whole world" market potential. I can not speak to your specific field or line of work however as a general rule of thumb focus on "your world" before you have any hopes of working for "the world". Best of luck! :)

Dan Furman
11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
I disagree with the above, because I've lived it (and still do). When I started my copywriting business, it never even occured to me to go local. Why would I want to limit myself to my little city? Assuming I'm looking for business to come via my website, what advantage is there to go local? I can't think of one.

To the OP - you can advertise to the world via Google.

DeniseTaylor
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi

Have you thought of/tried creating an information site that provides useful information for members of your would-be targeted audience? My husband has an offline business, but provides online tips and advice about what he does. He answers questions and has a small community growing. He is listed on Google Places with a link to this site. His online interaction brings in offline customers because they see his work in action right there, online. It is much more effective than an ad in a phone book.

Before you sell, many times you need to "presell" and get people interested.

RMMarketing
11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
To the OP - you can advertise to the world via Google.

I agree with what Dan said. Give Google Adwords a shot. You can usually find a $100 coupon online for new accounts. Thats a great way to test you coampaign without costing you anything.

billbenson
11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I think its industry dependent, but I agree with Dan here. It's usually best to start in a small niche, but in this case I don't think that niche should be geographical. I'd look to specialize in a particular industry, type of code, type of graphics etc.

I also agree with the adwords suggestion - after you find your niche. Web designer or web graphics is to broad for an adwords campaign. Adwords results can also be useful in selecting a niche!

JacobBergeron
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Bill brings up a good point, I agree that it is industry dependent. If you can provide your service or product to individuals who are not in your geographical area than yes spending time establishing an online presence can be lucrative. The adwords suggestion is a good one. With that being said I think it is still is important to focus on your geographical area to drum up business especially when you are just starting out. Without any previous clients and lacking a portfolio, it is at least in my opinion easier to gain the trust of individuals that you see in person than it is to land new clients from the web without having any established credibility.

Brad Miller
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I have a graphic design company myself so I know what has worked for me. You really suggest that you become more of a marketing expert...It's troubling to me that you have a hard time finding clients and expect clients to hire you to help them with their marketing. So 1st, get a marketing book and really start concentrating on this topic you are asking about. If you learn how to get clients for yourself, you can help your clients do the same!

Anyway...Here is how you get client:
Step 1
Specialize. (Really just pretend that you specialize) Let's say you've done a website for a bakery...market yourself to every bakery in the country as the expert in bakery websites! Make marketing that positions you for that market and hit it hard. Email, direct marketing, have a separate website (or just a page), ads, and whatever you can afford.

Step 2
Don't be passive and wait for the bakeries to call you. Some may call don't just sit and wait. Call them. Call them all. You are offering exactly what they need. If they are not interested, call the next one. After a day of cold calling, you will have a few real leads.

Here's the trick. Repeat step one with another market. Maybe you did a flyer for a band. Sell yourself as the band flyer guy.

Here is some random advise.
Bill by the hour, not a flat rate.

Start at a rate you can live with, but plan on raising it as you gain more clients.

Don't give your work away.

Good luck!

pandacover
11-29-2011, 02:54 AM
I agree with Reflo Ltd.As the development of sociaty,graphic and web design business can be widely seen.But they are very similar to each other. And they almostly have no their own style. If you want do some sepcial, you must have you own characters.

greenoak
11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
panda ...love that reference about each business needs its own characters...you probably meant character of the page but it works in face to face businesses too...we sure cant afford to seem generic ...

jwmann2
01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
It's a saturated business. You need a few clients that you can obtain from social media websites like facebook or twitter. After that, it becomes word of mouth. Also post on Craigslist that you are offering a service; list your phone number. As long as you get the ball rolling, you will be just fine.
Best of luck to you.