PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Web Design small business

IacosaR
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
hello, i have a question that has stopped me to start a new business in Canada.

Basically, How do I know if I have enough knowledge to start a business as a web designer.

I have experience in sales, management and customer service. Also, I have knowledge of html, css, photoshop and Flash.

I'm in the first year of a computer Science program, and 5 years ago I studied engineer in computer in Mexico.

I'm looking to have a small business that I can run in my free time (mornings and evenings)but i don't want to screw up losing customers.

so i'm looking for some advice.

tks

SteveM
01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
That's a tough question to answer for anyone but yourself. Once you go into business for yourself, most people find themselves in a situation of "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know!"

If I were you, I'd start with the basics:

1. What's your business plan and marketing plan?
- How do you intend to convince a business owner or anyone to use your services?
- How do you intend to compete with DreamTemplate, Yahoo Business, GoDaddy, 1&1, and the other 1,000's of website development/template companies out there?
- What is your pricing structure going to look like?
- What sort of add-on services will you or can you offer - email marketing? SEO? Website Hosting?
- What does your portfolio look like and how large is it?
- Has anyone you know asked you for your services previously?
- How much time and money do you have available to throw at this project?
- Do you really need the money, or would it start as more of a hobby business?

The list could go on and on, but ultimately you are the only person who really knows the answer.

When it comes to business in general, everything is tougher than it looks, but anything is achieveable with enough effort.

vangogh
01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Like Steve said that's a question you really have to answer for yourself. However, do know that most web designers have different strengths and weaknesses. Odds are you do some things better than others and there are probably some things you know little about.

Don't let a little doubt stop you. If you aren't sure about your skills, build a site or two for yourself. When they're done ask yourself again if you're ready. Look over your work and see what you did well and what you had trouble with. Use the aspects of web design you do well as a selling point for your business and set a course for yourself to learn the aspects you don't do too well better.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes along the way. None of us is perfect. You're going to lose a client here or there and that's ok. What you want to do is identify why you lost a client so you can fix any mistake before the next client.

In the end only you can answer your question, but instead of answering it based on how much you know right now, base it on your own passion for this. How much do you want to be a web designer? Is this something you really want to do or is it just a way to pick up some extra cash while in school? Regardless of your answer there are probably people out there who will hire you.