PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wisconsin

Haup9
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Hello All,

I just found this forum and I wanted to introduce myself and our company (soon to be two). My wife and I own a yard card company. We put up large signs for special occasions (Birthdays, birth announcements, welcome home, get well, etc) in peoples yards. Most of our signs are 5 ft tall but we have a few smaller marquee type signs that we can change the lettering on to anything they want. We have owned the business for 5 years this May 1st. We bought it from the original owners who had it for 3 years. At first, wifey worked part time and ran the business as a side job. In 2008 she quit her job and has been running the business full time. Our main problem with this business is that it can be seasonal, we have fewer calls in the winter months but that could just be that people are not thinking of this type of thing when there is snow on the ground.

The other business is a gourmet flavored pretzel business that we are currently starting from scratch. Basically what we will do is buy premade pretzels & add some flavoring (barbecue, cheese, cajun, etc). I'm looking for advice on a few things, 1. It is a brand new business (not up and running like the 1st one) so we are trying to figure out ALOT of stuff. 2. Markets - we have some ideas but are looking for ideas on more.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!!!

vangogh
01-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Haup9. I think you have 2 business that no one here has, and both sound like interesting jobs. My mouth is already watering for a pretzel right now. I'm usually fine with a big soft pretzel with mustard on it, but the flavors you mention sound even better. Mmm.

Is the pretzel business starting because of the seasonal yard signs? When I was reading your first paragraph I was wondering if the solution to the seasonal issues was another business to fill the gaps. I suppose you could sell pretzels at some of the parties too or maybe add some other gourmet snacks that would work.

Ask away with all your questions. We've all been there with trying to start a new business and can hopefully offer some tips, advice, and ideas.

Looking forward to chatting more and thanks for joining the community.

KristineS
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. Now I want a pretzel too! :D

Business Attorney
01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. I don't have anything to suggest on marketing pretzels but (1) I like them and (2) lots of other people seem to like them. There is an Auntie Annes Pretzels at the train station here in Chicago and it is usually pretty busy. Pretzels also seem to sell well at the professional sports teams (Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks).

Where are you planning to sell them? Will you have a fixed location?

dynocat
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Welcome to SBF!

The sign business is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of it. How do you advertise that?

As far as the pretzel business, every farmers' market, art or craft show we've ever done, hands down the top selling vendors are those who offer food. We've done shows since the mid 1990's and foods are a hands down winner. Everyone likes to eat, especially easy to hold munchies they can eat while walking around. I'm betting you'll do well. What's funny is that I don't think I've ever seen pretzels (outside of malls). It's everything else from cookies, brownies and breads to nuts and popcorn. You'll do well.

PS What part of WI are you? It's a great state.

Good luck

Haup9
01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Vangogh - We are actually starting the pretzel business in hopes of replacing my full time job. We came to a realization this year that we don't want to rely on anyone else for anything ever again. We had some challenges this year that really drove home that point for Wifey & I. As far as why chose the pretzel business, we started making them because a family friend shared a recipe she had with us. We took them to all our kids activities (we have 7 kids) and we would share them with our friends that were there. We kept hearing that we should sell them. Our 3 older kids were taking them to school and kids were saying the same thing there. All of this with just the one recipe. So we started coming up with more flavors and have heard the same thing for each flavor we have come up with. It seemed like a great idea to try so we are.

We can't sell the pretzles at the parties like you suggest though because we don't actually do parties. We set up a a sign in someone's yard and generally don't ever meet the person that it is for. I can include a link to our sign website if that is allowed. It makes it easier to understand when you see what it is we do.

Business Attorney - At this point we will not have a fixed location. Our plan is to go to fairs, festivals & farmers markets as well as selling them via the internet.

dynocat - We are close to Milwaukee. I travel the state for my full time job though so I have gotten to see alot of Wisconsin.

huggytree
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Hello Haup9 im near Waukesha, so were neighbors

when you talk about your pretzel business i instantly think FOOD COURT...maybe Mayfair mall or Southridge........you'd do well, but rent would be astronomical

in the summer fairs and festivals are probably something you could do every weekend, but the winter there's nothing around here....

you own 2 businesses that do nothing in the winter (the way you have them designed thus far)

are you doing both businesses all by yourselves or do you hire people?

my gut says to hire people for the whole thing and focus on a 3rd thing...let them run themselves....hire college kids in the summer...make $10k-$30k as an extra income thing............i dont see either being a full time job as you have it designed.....i dont see either making you a millionaire either unless you think real big with it.........its just supplemental income.........

Steve the fence guy has multiple businesses going....he'd be a good one to hear from on this topic

vangogh
01-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the extra info. Yes you can add a link to the sign site. The best way to do that is to set up a forum signature. In the upper right look for the Settings link. That takes you to your control panel. Once there look to the left for the Edit Signature link. If you need any help seeing up the actual signature let me know. I can help you or set it up for you if you want.

I can see the pretzel business going year round. I know I've bought pretzels in winter before. For me that's usually buying them from a street vendor in Manhattan, but they do sell year round.

Is there a way you can hook up with someone who does work parties? Might be one way to sell the pretzels. I think huggy's idea of a food court seems like a good fit. Same for the fairs and festivals. I suppose if you made enough during the months when the weather is warm you could spend the winter working other aspects of the business. There's a town not far from me called Estes Park. It's just outside the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park and it's a huge tourist destination. Most of the town closes during the winter. Everyone can make enough money the rest of the year. They're in a very nice position given the location.

People do party in the winter. I'm sure most of Wisconsin is going to be partying all day tomorrow for the game. The college football season is over, but I would imagine there are lots of parties going on near the university year round. Is it possible to hook up with the university and sell pretzels on campus?

Steve B
01-15-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm from the Philly area - so I have seen pretzels sold just about everywhere. The best ones are bought from a guy on the side of the road at the busier intersections - they come with just the right amount of car exhaust flavoring! I know when I go home to visit - I now buy them at a convenience store. I'm sure a truck brings them by every morning. You could just set up a route with 15 or 20 retail places that will sell them for you. You could do all your marketing for this in the winter when you are slower with your sign business. The only thing I'm thinking is that since you buy them pre-made, you might not have enough profit built in to split with the retailer.

I'm curious how you market your sign business. I look forward to seeing your link and reading more about it.

Haup9
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Huggy - We are closer than you think, I am actually in Muskego. As you know, Milwaukee, Madison & Green Bay are generally the only cities in Wisconsin people not from here know of. LOL. So I tell people I am near Milwaukee. They get the idea then.

I got an interesting call from my cousin the other day, he is really good friends with a restaurant/bar owner in Kenosha. My cousin had given him two flavors of our pretzels and the owner wanted to know what we charge. Since we aren't to that point yet, I had to tell him that we are still in the start up phase. The owner wants to sample some more flavors in the near future. We are hopeful that this will lead to more business and it will be all year long. As far as winter, there are some winter farmers markets that we are looking at doing. I had never heard of them before we started looking into this but they are out there. Plus I think restaurants/bars may be a way to go as well.

We are planning on working both of our businesses ourselves, now when I say that understand that we have 7 kids that help us out a ton!

Vangogh - I will have to look into companies that do work parties, maybe a local caterer would be a good start.

Steve B - The link should be in my signature now. As far as marketing - most people in the industry use word of mouth and their websites. We have done that as well as doing different baby expo's (we have storks to announce births and really want that to grow). I have written a few press releases in the past but have never really gotten much response from those.

BTW - I don't think I mentioned that our pretzels are the mini-twists. They will be sold as snack food in resealable bags.

Huh - the link didn't work so I will include it here. www.Special-Delivery4U.com

huggytree
01-15-2012, 08:59 PM
and im actually in Mukwonago

i dont think the pretzel idea is a full time job the way you have it designed....what can you do to make it a large business? flea markets isnt going to work for anything but a small minor thing....you need to be geared up to handle large orders....its an issue i have in my business too.....you have to risk $$ to expand w/o customers to expand....otherwise when the customers eventually DO call you wont be able to handle the increased demand........

this website is one of the reasons for my success and ive been around here for 5 years now.............stick around and ask advice

Haup9
01-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I plan to stick around Huggy! I used to visit a forum for the Lawn Greeting business for years but that had some problems and kinda fell apart. I love to talk to other business owners and exchange ideas and hopefully help out in some way.

BTW - we are looking into doing the Maxwell Street Fair in Mukwonago. Need to determine if it is cost effective or not as I know the Lions club runs the concessions for it. They may not allow us in if all we are offering is pretzels.

The food court idea is a thought. At this point though we are going to rent a shared use kitchen hourly in Watertown to make the pretzels. Per state law we have to have a commercial kitchen and inspections to make them. The shared use kitchens are designed for start ups like ours. Anything like that at the food courts would be crazy expensive. That might be something we can look into for the future though.

vangogh
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I saw you had problems with your signature, but it looks like you figured our whatever it was since I see it now. By the way I bet more of us here than usual know some of the cities in Wisconsin, but it's probably because we've heard huggy mention them at one time or another.

Haup9
01-16-2012, 01:19 PM
LOL, Vangogh that may be true. Now that I am here we can teach all more of our great towns & cities.

Yep sig seems to be working now.

vangogh
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Bet you didn't realize there would be geography lessons as part of your forum membership. :)

Haup9
01-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Bet you didn't realize there would be geography lessons as part of your forum membership. :)

Or that I might be one of the people giving the lessons. LOL ;)

AllCeasonsDesign
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome Haup9,
I am originally from La Crosse Wi myself. And I have seen these type of signs in yards in that area. Would they be part of your business or a competitor?

This forum has been a great help to me in my small business. Hope its as helpful to you!

vangogh
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Or that I might be one of the people giving the lessons.

So the student has become the master.

christinagilman
01-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Welcome Haup9 to the forum. Mmmm pretzels. This might be totally out of your business scope - but have you ever thought about going gluten free for pretzels, for people with Celiac Disease? I can't have gluten, (but I love pretzels!). Gluten-free is a huge market right now as awareness is (finally!) starting to grow.

Haup9
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
AllCeasonsDesign - No they are not ours. I wouldn't consider them competition though as that is way to far to drive to do a delivery for us. We have been as far north as Oshkosh but that was a one off thing. The guy that ordered it REALLY wanted to get back at his brother and was willing to pay the extra for the mileage. The brother had done the sign thing to him a few years ago in Chicago.

Vangogh - Not likely!!!!

Christinagilman - Actually that is a GREAT idea! Time to do some research and see if I can find them.