PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about setting up a new business

recasares
03-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I am going to be starting a new in home business. I just had a few questions on what I would exactly need to do. I'm located in El Paso, Texas. I do have a ein number and doing business as name with the irs. I am going to be doing computer repair. I have done lots of searches and couldn't really find much info. What else do I need? Such as permits or any other tax forms and things like that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dan Furman
03-08-2012, 12:41 AM
You likely don't "need" anything else (in terms of what you are asking). Just keep good records of income and expenses, and you're good to go.

Now go fix a computer.

philwebster95
03-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I agree with Dan,

Lots of start-ups get hung up with all sorts of un-necessary things like 'I must get some business cards' or 'I need a logo'

What you need is sales!! You can worry about the other stuff later

Good luck!

Phil

recasares
03-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Oh I'm not worried about all that. Just looking into the whole legality part of it all. Like if my city and state will let me do business out of my house or if i need a certain permit.

SteveM
03-08-2012, 07:45 AM
A lot of cities restrict commercial activity out of residential dwellings. That being said, if you don't put a parking lot in your front yard or try to turn your house into a store-front, you should be fine. I would hang a sign on your house or under your mailbox or something, nothing obnoxious, and I'm sure the city wouldn't bother you. In cases like this, my motto is "If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question." Even if they did catch you, they're not going to drag you out into the street and beat you or anything--they'd just make you get a permit or whatever.

Make sure your insurances are up-to-date in case of electrical fire, and hit the road running!

Paul Elliott
03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Here are some State of TX resources:

Texas Business Advisor (http://www.cpa.state.tx.us/tba/)
Topics (http://www.texas.gov/en/Discover/Pages/topic.aspx?topicid=/business/start&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1)
Guides and Resources (http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/related.shtml)

A search may show city and county sites that may be useful to you.

I do know you will need a TX Sales Tax ID in order to purchase parts at wholesale from a TX-based vendor without paying sales tax on the materials you will be installing in customers' installations. You must collect and remit sales tax on the parts/equipment you sell to customers. I do not know whether TX levies taxes your repair/installation services as a business--they didn't do so in the recent past. An accountant can answer this, if the sites above don't help.

El Paso city and county probably have certain business permits that are required for such a service business. You can call city and county offices and ask anonymously.

Since the state and federal funds for local municipalities have diminished, these agencies are starting to levy rather high penalites for operating businesses without the reguired licences when they find you are not in compliance.

Paul

SmartMascots
03-12-2012, 12:59 AM
I think that what you need is to tell your friends what you do and go out to fix a computer.
And join in some local business alliances is also necessary,you can learn all things there,specially something about your local regulations which are accurater than you get on the internet.

huggytree
03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
find an accountant that can walk you through things.....you need to know how to tax people...you may need a TX business license....i think i have a WI state tax id #

some accountants just want to do your taxes.....find one that wants to help you get started and work hard for your business....mine even came over and setup my quickbooks for me and taught me how to use it...

if you can find a mentor that would help too....someone else who does what you do thats willing to help you get started...they are hard to find, but i found one ..

good luck

does anyone fix their computer? for $450 you can get a new laptop....if the computer is 2 years old or older is it worth fixing??? id just throw mine out

(just thought id grow this thread)