PDA

View Full Version : New Google Search

billbenson
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Google revamps search, tries to think more like a person - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/16/tech/web/google-search-knowledge-graph/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Google's going to be testing a search that gives you different possibilities for your search.

So, let's say you're doing a Google search for "Kings." Did you mean the L.A. hockey team or the Sacramento basketball team? Maybe the TV show? Or maybe you actually wanted to know something about monarchs.

It could be interesting. I don't see it affecting SEO. It may actually make good SEO (telling G what your page or site is about) more important.

vangogh
05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen this in action yet. It looks interesting, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it working. I agree with you about it's lack of effect on seo and it probably being a good idea to find out what Google things your pages are related to. That info can be found in Webmaster Tools and I think even The AdWords Keyword Tool.

Here's Google's official blog post on Knowledge Graph (http://googleblog.blogspot.in/2012/05/introducing-knowledge-graph-things-not.html?m=1), the new search.

AlexMc
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow! I've heard a little bit about this before, but thanks for sharing these articles. A colleague of mine has always complained about Google needing "added intelligence" as far as search results go. It's just so interesting to see how something so successful, such as Google, can still make room for improvements.

vangogh
06-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Knowledge graph is kind of interesting. I hardly ever see it, though. It's not there for every query. It's there if you search for celebrities or the name of a movie. I just found it searching for the andromeda galaxy. Maybe I just don't notice it. Google's done too good a job training me to pay no attention to that part of the page since it's usually filled with ads.

I suppose any query where Google can provide some simple and basic information you might find knowledge graph. It seems to be grabbing all the info from Wikipedia and the rest of the links all seem to point to more Google results related to the initial one. I assume you'll only see these on results pages where there aren't any ads to show

AccountantSalary
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
As a consumer, I'm looking forward to this but have yet to see it. As a site developer, I'm a little nervous because there's no telling how it will view my site. But based on the article you offered, if your site contains useful content, you should be okay. Thanks for the headsup.

vangogh
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Leo you can see it now depending on what you search for. Search for any famous person. You should see their picture on the right along with some basic biographical information and links to more. The info will probably come from Wikipedia and the links will be to other Google searches.