PDA

View Full Version : Hello from The Woodlands TX!

Nic83
05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Nic Kearley and I joined this forum to learn more about starting a small business. I have a furniture idea that I think has a lot of potential, but no patent yet. I don't even know if I need a patent? I also make video games with a couple programmer friends. I'm a little hesitant to talk about the furniture idea because I have what I call "Inventor's Paranoia". In that I think people will steal my idea and make money off it. That shouldn't stop me from creating a small business around it though, right?
Right!

Nice to meet you all.

I would also like to talk to some investors or people who know about that kind of thing.

vangogh
05-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Nic. I can understand how you feel about the furniture idea and not wanting to talk about it. If it's something patentable then file for a patent and get the business started. If it isn't something patentable then don't worry too much about talking about it. An idea itself isn't so valuable. It's the implementation of the idea that brings the value and if talking things over helps you implement your idea better then it's worthwhile to talk about. Remember sooner or later you have to let people know about your idea if you want to build a business around it.

Nothing should stop you from creating a business around your idea if you think the idea a good one.

Thanks for join gin the community.

Nic83
05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks vangogh! I feel quite welcome here and hope to learn a lot.

cbscreative
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Welcome, Nic. We have some members here (especially Business Attorney) who are familiar with the patent and invention process, so you never know how much help you might actually get here. We certainly have the support system to help you with the small biz side of it. I have limited knowledge since I have helped with the graphics on occasion over the years, but I've never dealt with the business side of it.

One thing I do know from working with inventors, you'll need a lawyer to write up a non-disclosure agreement so as you line up people to get your product to market, they will have to sign the agreement before helping you with the project.

Nic83
05-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info cbs! I'll look into a lawyer for sure once I start getting some revenue.

Steve B
05-30-2012, 06:08 AM
I think you have that backwords. How can you start getting some revenue until you have some sales (or investors)? Either way, you will need the legal advice prior to getting those things.

MostHeather
05-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, Nic!