PDA

View Full Version : should you share what other customers you work for with a customer?

huggytree
06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Ive been trying like hell to get in the high end plumbing remodeling market....ive been pretty successful, but recently i have gotten 2 new customers in that market and it brings my total up to 4 out of the top 10 in my local market......to get the 2 new customers i used the 2 existing customer names as examples of how i am able to handle their 'type' of work......ive also talked to 1 of the existing high end customers about my excitement in getting the 2 new clients.....

just wondering if this info should be more secret? they all know each other and at some point they'd know im doing their competitors work anyways.....by having the same plumber all im doing is leveling the playing field as far as plumbing...im eliminating the possibility of an advantage which is probably a bad thing (depending on the way you look at it)..

should i shut my pie hole or is it an ok topic to discuss in the future....atleast 3 of the 4 are direct competitors in the same market in the same area of town...i will be bidding on the same project at some point for all of them...i always make it known in these situations that they all get the exact same bid...

tmerrill
06-18-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't see why you shouldn't share who you've done business with. If it is something you really feel worried about, why not ask the people you have already worked with if you can use them as references? The worse that could happen is they say no.

Harold Mansfield
06-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I obviously show my previous work when trying to land a new client. But I don't discuss one client with another. Especially not by name.

air52
06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
We keep all the customers a secret

OBGregg
06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
In your specific case, I don't see the harm in discussing who you do business with. You're the best plumber in town - and it makes sense that the customers that need the best will be fighting over the same guy.

In other industries, there's an expectation of non-disclosure even if you haven't signed an NDA and prospective customers will get turned off if you name names.

DeniseTaylor
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I think it depends on your industry. Some industries are so competitive that such things can backfire. All I can add is to try to think one step ahead and look at your actions from all sides. If it can backfire, rethink your strategy, etc. If you can promote yourself without creating an unwanted exposure, that would be your best course of action.

air52
06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
yea in serves of overhead cranes if the competition finds out one of are customers they send a sales men right away and we do the same.

KristineS
06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't think you could keep it a secret, really. Don't these people ever talk to each other at some level?

I agree that asking the existing customers if you can use them as references is a good idea. I also don't think there was anything wrong with saying I worked with Company A and Company B when trying to get a job with company C. You're not giving away state secrets, you're stating a fact.

KHooten
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree with some of the above posters, it really depends on the industry you're in. In your case I really don't see why it would hurt to share that information.

huggytree
06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
as far as one customer finding out pricing from another im safe...everyone gets the same pricing

all these builders are in the same Builder Association, so they all see each other a few times a year (if not monthly)

im a member of the remodeler council in the Builder Association along with the (3) builders im talking about...thats where i met all of them

CallboxInc
07-31-2012, 04:39 AM
It is best not to drop names. Unless you ask permission first then that is okay.

huggytree
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
i dont think which builders i work for is a secret....i find they all talk about their subs....sounds like i often come up in conversations (in a good way)

i would not drop individual homeowner names, but business names==no problem

Elabusiness
08-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, I dont see any reason not share little details like this but sometimes these details that we think they are little can cause big issues in business life. So , I say the most important thing is to stay as professional as you can and keep these things which are related to your businees and customers secret as it is the business policy.