PDA

View Full Version : Together Buy Bay - a good idea?

asd345
08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
A webiste like ebay, where you can buy stuff together. The first gets it first, then the second and so on.

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on the idea, or for ideas how to make it better. Or, worst case, if it already exists somewhere.

Its an online shopping portal where people buy stuff together. As many as there are interested, and for as much as they agree on for a time they agree on. I want consumers to decide as much as possible. To make an example:

Book X is offered for 20$. A just wants to read it, B wants to own it. So A pays 5$ and B 15$. But in the beginning A pays the whole 20$ and later gets 15$ back. When A has finished reading after a maximum time they agree on he sends it on to B. B's 15$ are kept by the site until the book arrived, and then sent on to A. There might well be a C who reads it as well an is in the middle paying a price. They agree on time and how the book can maximally look when used. E.g. spots possible, but no torn out pages. If this happens, A will not get the full refund. Post costs are paid by the buyers.

Like ebay the site gets a small provision.

That's it.

Of course I can see some problems with items like cars etc, but I think the idea might have potential as it correlates with the trend of collaborative consumption and simply saves you the hassle of selling stuff afterwards separately, or lets you get stuff a lot cheaper. It might work best with books, seasonal sport gear, suits and the like.
Furthermore it reduces the amount of stuff being produced, so saving resources. I'd like it to also involve a share of the earnings to go to environmental projects, as this could go well with the concept.

Thanks for all help!

KristineS
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Not sure what I think about this. I could see it for more expensive items, I suppose, but you'd have to know the people you're buying it with pretty well. I think a main worry would be going in with someone and having them abuse or wreck the equipment, so that would need to be taken into account. There would have to be a lot of logistical maneuvering and a lot of rules about how it all works.

GreaterVisibility
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a disaster looking for a place to happen to me. On low priced items, it is far too much hassle to fool with, in my opinion. On high priced items, it is too much risk to go in on something large with people that you don't know. There would be lots of risks like breakage, or people that find ways to scam the system, or items that supposedly "never got delivered", which happens on ebay all the time. Too risky for my money.

asd345
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
ok, thats pretty clear.

Thanks!