PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a difficult sub-contractor

jbechtold
09-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I wanted to get opinions about how to deal with a sub-contractor I have an agreement with. They agreed to complete six one hour medical training sessions for a customer of mine. This is the first time I am working with this sub-contractor.

Specifically I sent the following e-mail:

Hi XYZ,

We're within a couple of weeks of our first training session and I was wondering if you've had the chance to complete the course outline for it yet (what items you'll cover and what exercises you'll conduct). I just wanted to share it with the client in case there would be any tweaks they see necessary.

Also just to inform you I will be at the first training session but will be out of town for the second. I will make sure you have everything you need for the second training session at the first.

Thanks!

This was the response I received:

Joe,

If you're talking about an individual one, no. All classes will be the same 1st half hour PowerPoint 2nd hands on. I wasn't expecting something that detailed. I need you to communicate exactly what your wanting right NOW because I'm barely getting 4 hours of sleep already because of homework and this wasn't exactly in my plan. A minute by minute breakdown is quite obnoxious and over the top, I think, but you already have an outline specifying what classes on what day. I'm a little bit frustrated that this is being 'thrown into my lap' last minute because I could have gotten this done if I knew this were expected beforehand. O have drill next weekend and 40 hours of homework a week.

Respectfully,
XYZ

What I have received up to this point was a list of six training topics (which is what she says is an outline specifying what classes on what day). For example the first session was on "Introduction and Triage" and the second was on "cold weather injuries". While I realize that in my first e-mail I mistook "course outline" for "agenda" the contract none the less calls for an agenda for each session:

An agenda will be developed and provided to the Client at each session.

I'm wondering how others would address this situation?

jamesray50
09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I would fire them and hire a new sub-contractor, even if it meant postponing the training for a little while. There is no way I would put up with that kind of attitude. They are working for you, not the other way around.

Good luck!

Wozcreative
09-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I think you need to re-evaluate how you hire your contractors. This person clearly does not do this on a professional basis. They simply do not know how to handle a mis-communication error. This is something that happens when you are doing business. How she handles issues like this is a window to future problems.

This person is just clearly not serious... they should be ashamed to complain about things and show frustration in such a un controlled manner. They are acting as if you were a complete inconvenience to them. If infact there was a miscommunication and she quoted you for less work, then should could charge to more to fix the problem.

I would fire this individual and invest in a bit more time finding the right person. Often times with contractors you have to S P E L L things out a lot and that is normal in a contract. Describe what "agenda" would mean to you for example. It may be partly your fault for this miscommunication if you were not exactly clear on things.

Hopefully you figure it out!

huggytree
09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
sounds very unprofessional...id fire him immediately and find a replacement

his letter sounds more like he's a side jobber than a professional

he doesnt know how to conduct business or handle customers (you)....he's letting you know too much....which is a good thing because its all right in front of you to see....he's not hiding anything from you

sometimes i have issues, but i hide them and work through them....the customer never knows and it always is seemless...just be glad this guy didnt hide it from you....it could be a disaster for you

i AM the subcontractor most of the time and i try to be 2 steps ahead of my prime contractors....not 3 steps behind like your guy

i use companies to show my customers products......they are sort of a subcontractor to me....and i consider them a 'piece' of my company...i consider them to almost be a employee of mine....i expect perfection....and i question my customers to make sure their showroom experience was positive and complete...

i wouldnt send a customer to this guy.........he will make you look bad and could lose you this customer

every subcontractor reflects directly on you...you chose him....you need to trust him....he needs to be a part of your company

this guy isnt

jbechtold
09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I did end up canceling the contract and am looking for someone else. The lack of professionalism and respect was just too much.

Thanks for validating my decision!

huggytree
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I did end up canceling the contract and am looking for someone else. The lack of professionalism and respect was just too much.

Thanks for validating my decision!\

that was a pretty easy one

smart decision!....a lot of small business guys dont make smart decisions...they look for EASY decisions instead....

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that looked easy. When people you are doing business with start going off on thier personal problems, it's time to go.

BNB
09-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Glad you cancelled this contract. That contractor was completely out of line and unprofessional. You should read my "Employee Guide" for my staff! Any sign of disrespect or attitude towards a customer is the single fastest way to job termination, period.

Business Attorney
09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I agree with the decision. Even if you tolerate the attitude towards you, I would be very fearful about letting this person anywhere near your client. Her attitude toward her work product shows that she doesn't have the maturity to take on this type of project, even if she otherwise has the knowledge and skills to do the training session. I am guessing her response is more a sign of inexperience more than indifference but either way the result could be a damaged client relationship for you.