PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Patrice from New Jersey!

clericalwizards
09-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm new to this forum and was hoping that I could learn a few things about starting a small business. I currently started Clerical Wizards which is a virtual administrative service for business people that either aren't that computer savvy or just don't have the time for clerical work.

Check out my website at clericalwizard.webs.com and let me know what you think.

I'm excited because I think there is a real demand for this type of service.

Well, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am married and a mother of 3 with a bachelor's in Accounting and minor in Finance. I've worked in the Accounting and Finance field for over 15+ years with companies in the insurance, retail, distribution, manufacturing and banking industries. I am well organized, detail oriented, professional and reliable. I am highly proficient in software applications such as Excel and Word as well as many other products. I can create a website or blog completely free and I am good with social media.

I'm hoping to meet some great people and learn from this forum.

Thanks,
Patrice

vangogh
09-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Patrice. It sounds like you're setting up a virtual assistant business. We have a few other virtual assistants as members here so you're in good company. I agree there's a market and demand for your business and it's a good field to enter. Sounds like you have a lot of great accounting and finance experience, which is a great selling point.

Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.

KristineS
09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Patrice.

Pack-Secure
09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Hello and welcome.

A few things I just wanted to point out. I would change your web address to a more direct name.

I would be a little more specific on your home page about some of your services. After I read your home page I was still in the dark as to what it is that you offer.

On your services page you have a typo, not the kind of thing a prospective client would want to see:

" We require a $100 retaimner before any work is performed. "

I would highly recommend a toll free number (they are not terribly expensive) and PLEASE put an address on your contact us page.

Unless you own "Make a free website at Webs.com" I would not recommend leaving that at the bottom of your website.

Anyways, hello again and wishing you good luck.

Harold Mansfield
09-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Patrice. Sounds like you know a few things that we may learn from you as well.

Wozcreative
09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see what how we can all help!

Elabusiness
09-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Hi Patrice! you are welcome. Its great to know about you have started a Clerical Wizards fro business people. Good luck and have great sharing of thoughts and idea here.

clericalwizards
09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello and welcome.

A few things I just wanted to point out. I would change your web address to a more direct name.

I would be a little more specific on your home page about some of your services. After I read your home page I was still in the dark as to what it is that you offer.

On your services page you have a typo, not the kind of thing a prospective client would want to see:

" We require a $100 retaimner before any work is performed. "

I would highly recommend a toll free number (they are not terribly expensive) and PLEASE put an address on your contact us page.

Unless you own "Make a free website at Webs.com" I would not recommend leaving that at the bottom of your website.

Anyways, hello again and wishing you good luck.

Thanks Pack-Secure for the advise. I am trying to keep my costs down by using the free website. It does have it's draw backs like the web address and that it says "Make a free website at Webs.com". After I make a little money, I'll probably upgrade to a shorter web address, toll free number, etc. I will correct the spelling error, thank you. As far as the details on the first page....hmmmm... if it got you to look at my other web pages then I think that's a good thing. I'm sure by the last page you had a much clearer understanding of what we do.

I have gotten quite a few inquiries since I put up my website this week. If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase traffic - without cost, please let me know!!!

Thanks!
Patrice

clericalwizards
09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Patrice. It sounds like you're setting up a virtual assistant business. We have a few other virtual assistants as members here so you're in good company. I agree there's a market and demand for your business and it's a good field to enter. Sounds like you have a lot of great accounting and finance experience, which is a great selling point.

Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.

Thanks vangogh! Nice to meet you.

clericalwizards
09-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Patrice! you are welcome. Its great to know about you have started a Clerical Wizards fro business people. Good luck and have great sharing of thoughts and idea here.

Thank you and nice to meet you!

Pack-Secure
09-07-2012, 05:06 PM
As far as the details on the first page....hmmmm... if it got you to look at my other web pages then I think that's a good thing. I'm sure by the last page you had a much clearer understanding of what we do.
Patrice

Well actually it did not get me to look at the other pages, I did that as a courtesy to another board member to check out your website and offer any advice I could. I would not take the approach that if Mary took the time to look further into my website to see what I am all about others will. If you do not hook a person in the first 20 seconds visiting your site, they will probably leave. If you last page is the clearer page, you should make that your first page IMO.

Business Attorney
09-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, Patrice. Following up on what Pack-Secure said, even if you still use webs.com spend $10 and buy the domain name you want before it is gone. Surely you can afford $10.

Once you have that, there are free web hosts that will let you direct your own URL to their web pages.

Better yet, there are some shared hosts that cost as little as $5 a month and there may be some even cheaper. That's about the price of a latte grande at Starbucks. For the added professionalism it conveys, I would spend the $5. Just my opinion.

vangogh
09-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I am trying to keep my costs down by using the free website.

Just keep in mind that sends a signal to potential clients. A domain and hosting don't cost a lot. If you're going the free route it could suggest you aren't getting business for some reason. The free site does promote a less professional image so be careful. Of course I do understand cost is an important consideration.

One suggestion is to give something like WordPress a try. You can download it for free and install it on low cost hosting. You can usually do both with a couple of clicks with most web hosts. However I'm thinking you might want to try WordPress.com (http://wordpress.com/). It's also free. Nothing to download or install. You just sign up for an account. The difference with what you're using now is you can set it up to show as your own domain and there will probably be a wider variety of themes to choose from. You should be able to present a more professional image and also prepare yourself for the day you're ready to host your own site.

Just something to consider.

Harold Mansfield
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Quick web bootstrapping start up tips:

1. Domain registration: $12.99 at Bluehost
2. Delux Linux Hosting: $7.49 mo. at Bluehost.
3. Vanity Number: Get a Google Voice #. Free. They allow you to search for letter combinations. Pickins are slim, but if you get creative you can find something. And forward that number to whatever phone you wish. It keeps things consistent no matter what your phone situation is.
4. Website publishing Software: Free. WordPress one click install on Go Daddy. More about WordPress: WordPress › About (http://wordpress.org/about/)
5. Learn the basics of WordPress : How to use WordPress - Start up guide for WordPress (http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/wordpress_start.htm). There's also videos instructional at WordPress.tv
6. Website Design: Buy a professional template: Woo Themes (http://www.woothemes.com/themes/) ($70) or Themeforest. (http://themeforest.net) ($25 and up) . Woo themes are probably going to have easier settings to access and understand. And they have a help forum.
7. Learn some HTML basics: Free: HTML Basic (http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_basic.asp)

You could do the whole thing for under $100 out the gate. But what you save in $, you will spend in time learning.

You don't need an 800#. Actual 800 numbers are expensive as hell. A lot of people have no problem using their cells because there are no long distance charges. And Skype is free. Many people already have it installed. You can also video conference and to a screen to screen collab. I use it all of the time. I even do hands on consulting and training with Skype. Free. Free Skype internet calls and cheap calls to phones online - Skype (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home).

If that doesn't work for you, there's Magic Jack, but it runs on your computer. Not good if you don't have a lot of RAM. magicJack PLUS - FREE Local and Long Distance (http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/)

You won't be able to get too fancy, but you can put up a professional presence, especially if you have any graphic skills at all to help enhance your presentation.

DONT use free web hosts. They are limited. And many put their tag in the footer of your website that screams to the world, "She's using a free web host". And many don't have email support, and YOU WANT TO use your vanity URL for your email.

If the WordPress option is too much to handle right now, Go Daddy does offer a site builder, but it's not free, you don't have much control over it and it sucks. But it's something and it's easy to use. I'd rather see you save that money and have full control and begin the process of learning how to manage your own site.

There are enough people around here to help you with questions. A few people here started with nothing.

As you start doing better and making money, you can afford more, but WordPress is scalable to keep for the life of your business and you can redesign it or get a new template anytime. Forever. And you'll be able to blog. Many of us use it, as well as a good portion of corporate America: http://en.wordpress.com/notable-users/

Pack-Secure
09-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Actually depending on the number of minutes you use toll free numbers can be quite reasonable. One for example: Hosted Virtual Phone Service Plans for Small Business by RingCentral Virtual Phone System (http://www.ringcentral.com/plansandpricing.html)

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not keen on paying for anything by the minute anymore. But you are saying Toll Free numbers in general. I was thinking specifically "800" numbers.

But it brings up a good point. How effective or neccessary are toll free numbers for a small business today? I should start a new thread on that. I'm curious.

I started thread about the viability of Toll Free numbers today, if anyone wants to chime in:
http://www.small-business-forum.net/managing-your-business/7172-toll-free-numbers-still-neccessary-today.html#post65616