PDA

View Full Version : Are Toll Free Numbers still Neccessary Today?

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Toll Free numbers were brought up on another thread, and my first reaction was that they were pretty unneccessary today. But I'm merely speaking of my situation.

With all of the communication options that people use now, where long distance charges aren't a factor anymore, what exactly is the benefit to a business, of paying for a toll free number?

If it's a nice vanity number, I could see keeping it.
If you do business internationally, maybe. Although all of my out of country contacts use Skype.

When I deal with tech support from a larger company, I guess I expect to see a toll free number, but I'm usually calling from my cell, so I wouldn't get charged for long distance anyway. So it really doesn't matter.

So, for a small business, is it worth the expense? Personally, I'm just not into paying for anything that charges by the minute anymore.

Are that many people still paying for interstate long distance that this would be that big of a convenience?

billbenson
09-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty much on the phone all day every week day. I've only had one person ask me if we have a toll free number. It might make you look bigger or more professional in some peoples minds or like you said if you get a memorable number. Outside that, I can't think of any benefit.

MyITGuy
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
As far as Toll-Free #'s, I'm with you on its only worth it if its a vanity/memorable #.

However, just because you may not have the "per-minute" fees doesn't mean everyone else is able to fit into this usage pattern. Most business level services still charge for communication costs, and with most businesses you cant do away with the telephone.

If you have a need for multiple lines, or have a considerable amount of incoming calls then your likely going to end up paying for telephone service by the minute.

huggytree
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
a 1800 # makes you look big and professional

all the products i install have 1800 #'s....the few that dont always make me think they are small time....and from my experience that is absolutely true..many times when ive had stupid design issues with a product i find they dont have 1800 #'s....and i know its some idiot making faucets in his basement that has no idea of code issues..

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2012, 01:35 PM
a 1800 # makes you look big and professional

all the products i install have 1800 #'s....the few that dont always make me think they are small time....and from my experience that is absolutely true..many times when ive had stupid design issues with a product i find they dont have 1800 #'s....and i know its some idiot making faucets in his basement that has no idea of code issues..
Do you have an 800#?

Pack-Secure
09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
We have had customers comment on how they appreciate us having our toll free number, so we will keep ours. We do have a vanity toll free number and love it. We pay more for our call routing system than we do for the toll free number every month, so for us it is money well spent.

AccountantSalary
09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Another advantage of a toll-free number is that it does not associate a particular location with your business. I would think this would be an advantage if your business has a national or international scope.

huggytree
09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Do you have an 800#?

i dont think you need a 1800 # if your a local 'service' type business....unless you sell a product nation wide a 1800 # has no advantages....no customer would expect a plumber to have a 1800 #....it may actually be a negative to me

if i sold a product that is shipped all over the country i would.....but since im just a small time guy who only drives a 50 mile radius there's no purpose for it...

i will never have a 1800 # unless i invent a product and sell it nationwide

there may be some local drain cleaners who have 1800 #'s, but they would be a franchise type business and use a national calling service...im sure there are a few of those....rotor rooter comes to mind

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Interesting comments and perceptions.

So some of you consider a business "less than professional" if they do business nationwide of internationally, and don't have a toll free number? Even though long distance charges aren't the real reason to have one anymore?

Or does it depend on the business? Or should every business have one just in case for those who are still paying for long distance?

As I mentioned, when I'm calling Motorola, or Pay Pal, I kind of expect to see it. But I've called large businesses like that before that didn't have toll free numbers, and it didn't really bother me. I was happy to see a direct line. I was more concerned about speaking to a live person.

I would agree that a Customer Service line, or sales line should be toll free. But does every small business on the internet need one? Absolutely not. As far as I'm concered, you just need to keep the same phone number, have regular office hours (and actually keep them) and answer the phone when I call, or at least return my message. That's really all I expect from a business these days.

I'm not going to expect my graphic designer in Texas (for instance) to have an 800#.

And I'm certainly not getting one. I'm not against it. I just see no need to pay for it for a one man shop who doesn't take product phone orders or field customer service calls.

Pack-Secure
09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
We sell nationwide and to Canada. We have a staff of 3 customer service reps, plus tech support, so yeah we have received very good feedback on our customer support and the availability of our toll free number.

billbenson
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Another advantage of a toll-free number is that it does not associate a particular location with your business. I would think this would be an advantage if your business has a national or international scope.

I think that is a good point.

It was also said somewhere above that when you hit a certain traffic volume you are going to have to pay for it. Your customers aren't going to want to pay. I don't know any details on that but it sounds like it makes sense to me. Free long distance is really just an individual thing, not a corporate thing.

When you think about the professionalism thing or trying to make your company appear larger than it is, thing about this: Many big companies are hiding phone numbers and trying to get you to use the site to get the information you want. There are web sites out there that tell you what you should hit on your phone to get a real person.

It might be industry and age dependent, but I really don't think it matters from a size perception aspect or it's going down in importance as fast as printed newspapers and yellow pages are.

MyITGuy
09-08-2012, 07:57 PM
It was also said somewhere above that when you hit a certain traffic volume you are going to have to pay for it.
That would be me.
If you look at the Terms of Service for your telephony services, you will see that there are limits that are imposed.
I.E. You may get free long distance with your Cell Phone, but in reality your paying for those 'minutes' anyways.
If you happen to have an unlimited plan, then your likely going to be limited to "Fair/Average" usage in the terms of service.

I can subscribe to several 'unlimited' VoIP providers for business phone service, but can point out in the terms of service that these unlimited plans are really only good for 3,000 minutes/mo or so, and you can only have 2 concurrent calls at any given time.

On the note of toll-free numbers and something I see almost all of the time (Huggy I'm looking at you here lol) is service companies that cover several different areas within a reasonable distance and will list 2-3+ local numbers on their vehicle or marketing material that are specific to certain areas. Why don't they go with a toll-free number and and route the calls to a central location, or use their area code on caller ID to route it to the correct office?

huggytree
09-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Interesting comments and perceptions.

So some of you consider a business "less than professional" if they do business nationwide of internationally, and don't have a toll free number? Even though long distance charges aren't the real reason to have one anymore?

And I'm certainly not getting one. I'm not against it. I just see no need to pay for it for a one man shop who doesn't take product phone orders or field customer service calls.

it makes you look SMALL....but in your case may be what you want....you dont sell a physical product, so you dont have a 'help' line or need one

if you sold a physical product and didnt have one i think it would make you look unprofessional, but in your case i dont think it says anything...everyone knows your probably a small company....i dont assume there are many large web design companies...if your intent is to look like a massive/large company then id say to get the 1800 #

it all depends on how you want to look to your customers...

Harold Mansfield
09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I've dealt with marketing and advertising agencies, real estate agents, resturant owners (in tourist areas), and Attorneys that serve multiple states, and so on and none had toll free numbers. Although the attorneys had a number for each area code.

I think the "selling a physical product" thing is the key to that perception. I agree that customer service lines should be toll free.

Outside of that, I don't see them as much as I used to like say, when I was growing up. Back then every company had a toll free number. ( damn technology makes you old fast) if you wanted to get in touch with someone, phone M-F 9-5 p.m (4:30 p.m. on Friday, remember that? ) or snail mail was ALL THERE WAS, short of physically going there.

Nothing sucked more than needing to get in touch with a company on Friday, and knowing you had to get someone on the phone before 4:30, or you'd have to wait until Monday morning.

There also weren't as many, if any, home based offices. No internet. No computer and one phone line. What could you have possibly done from home? It was a different world.

billbenson
09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
That would be me.
If you look at the Terms of Service for your telephony services, you will see that there are limits that are imposed.
I.E. You may get free long distance with your Cell Phone, but in reality your paying for those 'minutes' anyways.
If you happen to have an unlimited plan, then your likely going to be limited to "Fair/Average" usage in the terms of service.

I can subscribe to several 'unlimited' VoIP providers for business phone service, but can point out in the terms of service that these unlimited plans are really only good for 3,000 minutes/mo or so, and you can only have 2 concurrent calls at any given time.

On the note of toll-free numbers and something I see almost all of the time (Huggy I'm looking at you here lol) is service companies that cover several different areas within a reasonable distance and will list 2-3+ local numbers on their vehicle or marketing material that are specific to certain areas. Why don't they go with a toll-free number and and route the calls to a central location, or use their area code on caller ID to route it to the correct office?

I think I'm right around that 3k minute figure with Vonage. I've never had any additional charges. They have given me good service BTW. I'd recommend them.

MyITGuy
09-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I think I'm right around that 3k minute figure with Vonage. I've never had any additional charges.

Taken from their website, although it should be noted that there doesn't appear to be a different "Reasonable Use Policy" for business accounts:
Unlimited calling and other services are subject to normal use. See Section 5.4 and the Reasonable Use Policy.
Vonage - Reasonable Use Policy (http://www.vonage.com/reasonable_use_policy/)

Impermissible Use(s)

Vonage evaluates customer usage in comparison to similarly situated customers (residential use under residential service plans or small business use under small business service plans). Each of the following is considered outside of normal residential or personal, non-commercial use, and is an impermissible use of our residential or mobile service:

use by or for others who do not live with you, or, with respect to Vonage Extensions™ plans, others who are not registered Vonage Extensions™ users
operating a business, even if operating from the residence
operating any other enterprise, including not-for-profit
operating a call center
resale to others
auto-dialing or fax/voice blasts
telemarketing
use without live dialog, including use as a monitor, intercom or for transcription purposes
Because over 95% of Vonage's residential unlimited calling plan customers use less than 3000 minutes per month and do not have any unusual usage patterns, a customer's aggregate usage may be considered outside of normal use if it exceeds 3000 minutes per month IN COMBINATION with one or more of the following, including, but not limited to, excessive:

unique numbers called
call lengths
call forwarding/transferring
conference calling
short duration calls
Based on such a combination, Vonage may determine that abnormal, unreasonable or impermissible usage is occurring, and may take appropriate steps described below to enforce this Policy and the Terms of Service ("Vonage's Rights").

billbenson
09-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Funny Jeff. Because of your post I might start using the 800 number for the manufacturer I represent as I call them multiple times a day. But then that might not matter whether its the same 800 number or the same toll call number. The call lengths might be an interesting figure as a telemarketer would have a ton of 20 second calls. When I'm on the phone my calls tend to be long as its a consultative sell of an expensive product.

The other analogy is my wife probably has the same call trends and she doesn't work. She gets up, parks her butt on the sofa with a cell phone, TV control, and laptop. I never look at the cell phone bill, I just pay it. And I will also deny every making this post if asked :)

Business Attorney
09-10-2012, 01:57 AM

I was going to make the same point. I see a businesses that don't want to be considered an out-of-state business. For example, someone is running a referral service for what is considered by most people to be a local service, such as a doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant or handyman. If you are in Chicago, you may think twice about calling a number in South Dakota or Florida for a doctor referral, but an 800 number removes that as an issue.

I agree, though, that unless you have a specific reason such as some of those listed in this thread, for most small businesses having an 800 number today makes no sense. My firm doesn't have an 800 number and even most large national or international law firms don't have (or at least don't publicize) an 800 number.

For some small businesses, a non-800 number may even make them seem more real. If you list your address as Las Vegas, Harold, having a Las Vegas telephone number may make your business seem more legit to a potential client calling from North Carolina because you are not "hiding" behind a more anonymous 800 number.

Pack-Secure
09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
because you are not "hiding" behind a more anonymous 800 number.

I don't see having an 800 number as hiding, we clearly state in numerous places on our website what our physical location is.

Harold Mansfield
09-10-2012, 08:36 AM
For some small businesses, a non-800 number may even make them seem more real. If you list your address as Las Vegas, Harold, having a Las Vegas telephone number may make your business seem more legit to a potential client calling from North Carolina because you are not "hiding" behind a more anonymous 800 number.

Funny. To that point, both of the numbers I use on the web, have what are usually known as San Francisco and New Orleans area codes. And it's always one of the first things people say, "So you're in N. California?" or "The Big Easy!". But when I tell them "Vegas" they are even more exited, and everyone has a story. Everyone. So I make sure that all of my stuff say's my location now, where as before I didn't.

I keep the 2 numbers because one is multiple "7's" and the last letters spell "MEDIA" and the other spells "NHABIT". And I kind of like the way they look on stuff. If I couldn't get a vanity toll free number that made any sense, it would be kind of a let down at this point.

KristineS
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
We have toll free numbers for both companies, but they're primarily for customer service. Plus, the industry for our parent company has a technology lag that has to be seen to be believed. There are people who still fax in orders. Since we know the technology lag is there, and since servicing our customers in the manner that works best for them is important, toll free numbers are a must for us. I think it's about knowing who your customers are and how they communicate too. For some businesses, if most of their customers communicate via e-mail or text or cell phone, it may not matter. If, however, as we do, you work in an industry that hasn't absorbed new technology as quickly as might have been hoped, keeping methods of contact like a toll free number is vital.

BNB
09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
In the world of free long distance, toll free numbers are an expensive waste.... yet a necessary waste. We rack up quite a huge bill for our 888 number and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

As huggytree said earlier, it's necessary to maintain the "legit" business look. For now we'll need to deal with it. However, I'd bet that in the next 5 years they will slowly disappear.

Pack-Secure
09-17-2012, 12:01 AM
@ BNB: How much money per month do you consider expensive??

canvard
09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, if not costly, you can use one , so that customers may think you are a big company.