PDA

View Full Version : pricing

ddesigns
09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I've been asked to bid an illustration project. It's for a fairly large company and it will be very high visibility. The will be pastel illustrations that will go on a variety of packaging of multiple styles. I bid the project, but I have a feeling that I sold myself way short.

total of 9 illustrations, about 32/26'.

Wozcreative
09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
How long does it usually take you to do the illustrations that is requested? What is your hourly rate? This should give you a good idea if you are being compensated enough of not. I'm guessing an illustration can take anywhere from 3+ hours if using pastels (is it intricate?)

I am also not sure what you mean by "about 32/26' "

Pack-Secure
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Basically if you figured out how many hours it would take you to do the job, plus a few for variances you did not expect; then you multiply that times the rate you feel you are worth per hour, plus factoring in the costs for supplies = What should be a good starting point on your quote.

ddesigns
09-23-2012, 09:44 AM
32/26 is the size. It is realism and the pose and sense of it has to be correct, so there is no faking it.

Wozcreative
09-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't the size be irrelevant if it is going on packaging, as long as you have the ratio? You should then be able to digitize it and make it the appropriate size.
This would cut down on the time spent coloring it, and thus easier to make it more realistic.

ddesigns
09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
one package is a 30lb bag, so that is fairly large. I prefer to do them bigger because when scaling down, alot of the small errors are hard to see.