PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any Physiological traits that help you in your business?

Wozcreative
09-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Before you answer, or get confused, let me start from the beginning.

As a creative person, I'm always searching for the answers to why I am programmed/wired the way that I am. As I child I remember thinking I am a poor excuse for a being as I was never able to memorize things in science classes, yet I understood how they worked, I was never able to tell people how to get to a location verbally, but was able to draw it out and most of all I could never seem to "get" mathematics from the get go (Probably because a lot of the way we were taught was through memorizing times-tables, for example). So I fell back on a lot of these. However I always excelled at anything that was visually shown or involved me doing things or seeing how it worked.

Now, recently I took a course in Archery this weekend and the course hit me like an epiphany. The coach tested everyone's dominance side. Most of you may know that your right brain controls body parts of your left side, and your left brain controls your right. So it's either your right eye, hand, foot and ear are dominant.. or the opposite. Both of these types of dominance are considered favourable, because your brained processes things much quicker and is called to be "organized". The more "organized" your brain is the quicker you process information.

However to my surprise (where I was confident that I was all right sided), I learned that I was the only one in the course with cross dominance. My LEFT eye happens to be the dominant one, and my right leg, arm and ear are the other dominant ones (for various reasons you need to know this when your using shotguns or arrows). This basically says my brain is "mixed up" and processes things differently, and not as efficient in most cases. Wanting to learn more, I did a bit more research and this lead me to understanding why I make decisions easier when I see things visually, why my directions are always off (when you tell me right, i go left, when you say left, i go right) and most of all why I went into an artistic career and have been doing that all my life. This is kind of known as a "learning disability", but with what I do, I consider it an advantage—knowing the above now, may help me to learn how to "cope" with the short falls that I have. There are ways to "fix" this at an early age but I won't go into that.

So.. now with that said, I know everyone who has been in business uses some physiological strength as a benefit that other's may not have, what is yours and how did you discover it? How did you cope with it?

Freelancier
09-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I figured out in college that I was "visually dominant" in the way I learned and processed information. If I'm looking at something -- like a book or computer monitor -- I can tune out anything going on around me. I just see the monitor and retain what I'm seeing 100% while being able to completely ignore all other sounds around me. I didn't learn well at all in classes in college -- I just don't retain verbal input well -- but got high grades just from reading the course materials.

Works really well when you're trying to study in a noisy dorm... but has the downside that when I was on a date with a really pretty woman, it took all my energy to hear anything she was saying. :p

billbenson
09-22-2012, 11:39 PM
This isn't exactly the same thing, but its the personality types that you look for in customers and learn to analyze the customer and manipulate them per their personality type. They include:

Analytical - Analytical people are known for being systematic, well organized and deliberate. These individuals appreciate facts and information presented in a logical manner as documentation of truth. They enjoy organization and completion of detailed tasks. Others may see him at times as being too cautious, overly structured, someone who does things too much 'by the book'.

Driver - They thrive on the thrill of the challenge and the internal motivation to succeed. Drivers are practical folks who focus on getting results. They can do a lot in a very short time. They usually talk fast, direct and to the point. Often viewed as decisive, direct and pragmatic.

Amiable - They are dependable, loyal and easygoing. They like things that are non-threatening and friendly. They hate dealing with impersonal details and cold hard facts. They are usually quick to reach a decision. Often described as a warm person and sensitive to the feelings of others but at the same time wishy-washy.

Expressive - Very outgoing and enthusiastic, with a high energy level. They are also great idea generators, but usually do not have the ability to see the idea through to completion. They enjoy helping others and are particularly fond of socializing. They are usually slow to reach a decision. Often thought of as a talker, overly dramatic, impulsive, and manipulative.

Customer Personality Styles - Analytical, Driver, Amiable, Expressive (http://www.ahfx.net/weblog/37)

huggytree
09-23-2012, 09:47 AM
i am also cross-eye dominant...left eye, right handed

i dont have a clue if that means anything....im sure you could write a book on it

business people dont seem to be smarter than average(i actually think many are below average from all the idiots i deal with)

i do think business people are more aggressive than average and also dont like to take orders

the way they organize things in there head may make them more successful...and im sure it is something your born with

something i always wondered about is because were a nation of immigrants are we better/stronger (mentally) because were a nation of risk takers....i guess that all depends on if you consider leaving your homeland to start over being a risk taker...is there something inside all of us thats different than the people who stayed in europe or mexico or cuba?? my son showed some of my anal tendencies at 1 year old....it was obvious to me that many of my traits were passed on and something he had no choice on....much of his personality is not up to him....its in his DNA......do we all have above average risk taking DNA from 100 years ago from our immigrant relatives?

Wozcreative
09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
something i always wondered about is because were a nation of immigrants are we better/stronger (mentally) because were a nation of risk takers....i guess that all depends on if you consider leaving your homeland to start over being a risk taker...is there something inside all of us thats different than the people who stayed in europe or mexico or cuba?? my son showed some of my anal tendencies at 1 year old....it was obvious to me that many of my traits were passed on and something he had no choice on....much of his personality is not up to him....its in his DNA......do we all have above average risk taking DNA from 100 years ago from our immigrant relatives?

I believe that immigrants have a more of a sink or swim mentality. The ones that persevere are the ones that told themselves they deserve better (which is why they immigrated), the ones that didn't make it got sick, mentally, physically and are now struggling.. two extreme cases. The second or third generation have that security blanket, their moms and dads to rely on. Their parents have already laid out the ground work for them and they just need to have that feeling of a push.. but few do.

I am a first generation immigrant (came to canada at 4 years old). Once I was able to work, I had no choice but to go full steam into what was my interest and persevere in it because my family life was falling appart. My single mother could no longer work due to physical and mental illnesses, and if it that wasn't enough my brother fell into addiction, so I was left to pick up the pieces for both of them. I had to make choices fast, I had to decide what i was to do, how I was to get more money to support them. So long story short.. it is in your DNA to react to a situation that is terrifying, wether you go it positive or negative. I went the positive and decided to save the family. Will my children have that same effect? I'm not sure, I will surely try to make them as independent as possible, but having to take care of people that are ill, doing everything for them.. I don't know if I know how to do that.

Harold Mansfield
09-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I think we all have experiences that affect us in different ways and cause us to be risk takers. I know people that went into business purely because they want to be the boss, which is derived from some father issues.

I know people that do it because money=chicks. So failure is not an option because "chicks" is the most important goal after less than stunning dating opportunities in high school and college.

I know people who went into business just to piss someone else off or because they wanted to stick it to an industry that they previously worked in. Could they have been a victim of a bully in the past? Tired of getting pushed around?

My point is, not everyone goes into business just because they have a great idea. Just like many comedians come from backgrounds of difficulty, I think a lot of entrepreneurs can also come from a "I'll show you" position in life. And actually, from what I've seen, tend to be pretty successful when they are driven by that kind of personal motivation.

Wozcreative
09-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I think we all have experiences that affect us in different ways and cause us to be risk takers. I know people that went into business purely because they want to be the boss, which is derived from some father issues.

I know people that do it because money=chicks. So failure is not an option because "chicks" is the most important goal after less than stunning dating opportunities in high school and college.

I know people who went into business just to piss someone else off or because they wanted to stick it to an industry that they previously worked in. Could they have been a victim of a bully in the past? Tired of getting pushed around?

My point is, not everyone goes into business just because they have a great idea. Just like many comedians come from backgrounds of difficulty, I think a lot of entrepreneurs can also come from a "I'll show you" position in life. And actually, from what I've seen, tend to be pretty successful when they are driven by that kind of personal motivation.

Some really great examples and a few of those is true for myself as well. (not so much getting chicks though ;) LOL.

billbenson
09-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a friend who's in laws were quite wealthy. They were also a very dysfunctional southern redneck sort of family. My friend once said he was married to the richest stupid family in the world.

The reason they were wealthy is the father in law lived and breathed making money. When he was at work he was trying to make money. When he was at home he was thinking about new ways to make money. He wasn't smart. He wasn't a workaholic. His pastime was making money. He had no family life although he had a wife.

If you do something enough, you usually get good at it.