PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Lost the waiting list!?

Tulip
09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I own a budgie (parakeet) breeding business, and I finally have some babies, after waiting for over a year! Over that time I have accumulated at least 25 people on the waiting list, and now I've lost it! I had it stored on my flashdrive and computer and both only have the first person (which is of course the only one I remembered). I really, really need at least the first 2 people as that is how many babies I can sell from this clutch. What should I do? Please help! I only know number 1 and number 6!

Wozcreative
09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Take it to a trusted computer store near you and get them to recover the data.

vangogh
10-01-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm a little bit confused. It doesn't sound like there's a problem with your computer since the file you want is on both your computer and a flash drive. It sounds like either it was never saved with all 25 people or at some point 24 got deleted and that file ended up overwriting the other one.

Is it possible the file you found with the one person isn't the correct one? Maybe there's another one somewhere still with all 25 names? I suppose it's also possible the full file was deleted with a chance it's still somewhere on the computer. You could try some file recovery software. Here's a program I found for Windows called Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva). I have no idea how good it is or how to use it, but it is free if you want to give it a try. If it doesn't work you can try bringing it in someplace, but that could get expensive.

Before even trying the recovery software you could try searching your computer to see if the file you found isn't the correct one. Try searching for the name you do have and maybe your computer will return another file. I know it's unlikely, but it's worth a shot.

Tulip
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I already tried searching my comp and flashdrive for it- found two (one on each) and both looked exactly the same. Just the first person. I'm pretty sure I was editing the list at some point and accidentally deleted 24 of the names and then saved.

billbenson
10-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Geeks at Best Buy will send it out for you or at least they do data recovery for trashed hard drives. Expensive though.

nealrm
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Since this does not appear to be a crash hard drive, sending it out will be a waist on money. But not everything is lost. Open the folder containing the file. Right click on the file and select "Properties". Select the versions tab. If there is a prior version on the compute it will be here.

The other option is your backup program. If you are using something like Carbinate, it will have saved versions of all the files. Simply restore one of the prior versions.

Last, I would search for all excel files, it possible that you renamed the file and forgot. Also Exec may have made a copy.

If all these fail, then the data is gone. It would have been overwritten during the writing of the new data. Short of having the CIA scan the area between tracks for residual information, it not coming back.

billbenson
10-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Since this does not appear to be a crash hard drive, sending it out will be a waist on money. But not everything is lost. Open the folder containing the file. Right click on the file and select "Properties". Select the versions tab. If there is a prior version on the compute it will be here.

The other option is your backup program. If you are using something like Carbinate, it will have saved versions of all the files. Simply restore one of the prior versions.

Last, I would search for all excel files, it possible that you renamed the file and forgot. Also Exec may have made a copy.

If all these fail, then the data is gone. It would have been overwritten during the writing of the new data. Short of having the CIA scan the area between tracks for residual information, it not coming back.

I'm not sure it will be overwritten Neal. I think that only happens when you optimize drives. When you delete a file it is marked as unused space but that isn't a guarentee of that space being overwritten. Like I said, I'm not sure on this though.

nealrm
10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
When a file is deleted, the filename is marked. The clusters it used are marked free, but the information about what clusters were used is still there.

When a file is rewriten over, the same clusters are used. A short file can easily use only a single cluster. All the prior data in the overwritten cluster is gone. It is possible that if the files using several clusters that some of the clusters would not be overwritten. However, they would no longer be link to the original file. It would be data floating alone on the hard drive. It would look very similar to
xR˜”dŽšŠNҨ9ɨAw(7ey/O‚h˜“m|}Dg"$4ˆFY.2#›59”Y]bd @‘%’

To recover that data you would need to search all the unused areas of the disk. If you knew something about the data, it would make the search easier. Otherwise, that search would need to be done manually.

If you do decide to take the disk to someone for data recovery, remember 3 things. 1) Tell them that you resaved the files over the original, 2) don't take it to Best Buy, 3) don't take it to Best Buy.

PS: Go out about buy a good backup program, I strongly recommend Carbonite. It makes issues like this a non-issue. With a few clicks of the mouse, you could have the file back.

MyITGuy
10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
If you do decide to take the disk to someone for data recovery, remember 3 things. 1) Tell them that you resaved the files over the original, 2) don't take it to Best Buy, 3) don't take it to Best Buy.

I had to lol at #2 and #3 =D

As far as Data Recovery, give "GetDataBack" a try. If the drive is fully functional, I've been able to recover the same, if not more from drives using that program than the pro recovery companies could.

And yes, definitely backup! iDrive, Carbonite or whatever you choose...just do something!

huggytree
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM
i have no idea about the recovery thing...im sure you can get it done though

what i have to say is about having a proper backup system...and by system i dont mean a computer.....you should always have a hard copy of ANY important thing like that list....for my bids i have a physical folder and a computer file....id never consider just having 1 or the other...ive lost files on my computer and ive lost folders in my rack....i have at least 2 copies of everything in case i lose them....having 2 copies on a computer is worthless in my opinion....a physical copy is what you need next time...your not going to have happy/return customers if you screw them and sell their bid to someone else

good luck!

billbenson
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
i have no idea about the recovery thing...im sure you can get it done though

what i have to say is about having a proper backup system...and by system i dont mean a computer.....you should always have a hard copy of ANY important thing like that list....for my bids i have a physical folder and a computer file....id never consider just having 1 or the other...ive lost files on my computer and ive lost folders in my rack....i have at least 2 copies of everything in case i lose them....having 2 copies on a computer is worthless in my opinion....a physical copy is what you need next time...your not going to have happy/return customers if you screw them and sell their bid to someone else

good luck!

You need a backup but it doesn't need to be paper. And if it is in the same location it doesn't help you in the event of a fire. What you need is a system like Neal suggested "Carbinate" which takes you back in time and an off prem backup such as Dan suggested in a thread in a thread a while back.In that way you have three points of failure. The OP's data would be in the Carbinate backup and in the off prem backup. In the case of fire the backup would be in the Carbinate backup.

In the case of your paper backup system, unless you are keeping your copies of your paper copies in a different location, you are screwed in a fire or natural disaster. That is the other thing. If you just stick your backup locally, say a storage facility down the street it could be destroyed it could be destroyed by natural disaster.

The Carbinate should also be on a separate physical drive in the event of a drive failure.

@ David if you see this. What is the general practice of legal firms with lots of legal paper data these days?

@Neal, will Carbinate allow you to just go back and grab a particular file, or will it require a complete restore to a particular date?

nealrm
10-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Carbinate can restore just a single file. You open a virtual drive. It looks very much like a windows folder. Select the file you want, right click to select the version and the hit restore.

Also, the Carbinate backup is completely online. Files are continuously backed up in the background. I have never noticed a slow down in either may connection or computer due to Carbinate. It does have an option has to restrict processing and internet usage, but I have never had to use it. The only 2 draw backs are that the initial backup took about 2 weeks to get up-to-date (about 100GB of data) and a complete restore can take some time. However you can prioritize files so that the important thing get backup up and restored first.

MyITGuy
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
@ David if you see this. What is the general practice of legal firms with lots of legal paper data these days?

Most firms (I don't support any legal companies yet) scan all physical documents into electronic form where they can be backed up and archived electronically. If the physical medium is required then it is stored off-site at a secure location.

MyITGuy
10-02-2012, 12:12 PM

good luck!

You need a more reliable backup IMO.

What happens if your house catches fire, a water main breaks causing a flood, a hurricane or tornado rip through your house, a burglar steals your computer and file cabinet, think you no longer need those files and accidently delete/destroy them?

If your data is stored on your computer, then you can use a third party program (Carbonite, iDrive or etc...) to store this data in a secure off-site facility. This mitigates any of the issues above and is the only secure/responsible backup method you can have in your company.

jbechtold
10-02-2012, 10:27 PM
What all these guys are saying is that every business really needs a business continuity plan.

Essentially you're determining what to do when something bad happens to you, your equipment/supplies, facilities, or even community. I believe the statistic is something like 80% of small businesses don't survive a disaster because they didn't take precautionary steps to ensure they were ready.

This is along the lines of what my business does (disaster planning). To simplify the process you're going to want to start out by determining what hazards or risks you and your business face. Then determine a delegation of authority (who makes decisions when you're gone), what your businesses essential functions are (not everything you do is important, but things like collecting payments and paying your bills should be at the top of your list along with continuing to produce your bread and butter product), what your key resources are to complete those functions (computer files, the computer itself, specialty tools etc.), and then mitigation efforts to reduce the impact caused by the disaster or alternatives so you can continue operations (different facilities, equipment, etc.).

You can find more information here:
http://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/continuity (http://http://www.ready.gov/business/implementation/continuity)
Disaster Planning | SBA.gov (http://www.sba.gov/content/disaster-planning)

If I can be of anymore assistance to anyone that wants to get a business continuity plan going let me know.

vangogh
10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I already tried searching my comp and flashdrive for it- found two (one on each) and both looked exactly the same. Just the first person. I'm pretty sure I was editing the list at some point and accidentally deleted 24 of the names and then saved.

I know it's only been a couple of days, but have you had any luck with some of the suggestions. I thought there were definitely a few worthwhile things to try and I'm hoping at least one of them works for you. Keep us updated and share any more details you have. Maybe some of us can still come up with more things to try.

Tulip
10-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for so many replies and advice!

I tried going to Properties->Previous versions and looked through each of them and they all looked the same. Then on the other one (the one stored to my computer), it said I had to restore it so I clicked restore but it said "The drive containing the backup is not accessible. Please make sure it is turned on and connected to the computer." Also, money is a big issue; I canNOT go somewhere to get it fixed or restored or whatever. This is not some full-fledged business, more of just a hobby. Since it seems unlikely that I'll ever get the files back, anyone have any ideas of what I should do about who to sell the birds to? Thanks so much in advance! Oh, I also tried the Excel thing and that came up with nothing.

billbenson
10-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Here's another option for you. Do a complete backup of your system so you don't risk loosing anything else. Then, you may be able to restore your computer back to a prior date System Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore)

Pick a date if one exists prior to the date you think you overwrote the data.

I'm not sure if this will work for you as I'm not that familiar with Windows, but maybe someone else will come along and confirm that this is an option.

nealrm
10-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Don't follow Bill advise (Sorry Bill). The system restore will only work for programs, drivers and the registry It does nothing for stored data files. So all it will do is removed access to some of the more recently installed programs.

As for the birds - I suggest sell the first to the only person on the list. Then advertise the second. Sell the bird to the first person that pays. If someone calls stating they were on the list apologize.

Option 2 - Prepare a mix of breadcrumbs and select spices. Heat a skillet with 1 tbs of oil ........

billbenson
10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
No problem Neal. I wasn't sure. Actually I was pretty sure it didn't restore files. It was just a thought.

vangogh
10-05-2012, 03:13 PM
A couple more thoughts.

You mentioned when trying to restore the version on your computer you received a message about the backup drive not being available. Does that mean you've used a drive in the past to back up? If so do you know where it might be. I'm guessing there is none, but the message seemed to indicate there had been one.

How did you originally build the list? Maybe you can rebuild some of it. I know it took awhile to get all the names, but I would think some of those names came from other names on the list. Did the one name you do have direct you to others? Could you follow that trail? Even if that's not how you initially built the list you might still ask the one person if they know others who'd be interested. There's probably a chance one person wanting a parakeet will know other people wanting a parakeet. At the very least you can put out the word that there are more.