PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Gabe
10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey everyone.

Here's a little about me: I was born and raised in CA, currently live in San Diego and I'm happily married. I have a web design/hosting business that focuses on small businesses. I provide fully-managed, hassle-free hosting services with template based website designs--giving customers the option to use a custom designer if they choose. For the last couple of years I ran the business as a side business and did a lot of investing while maintaining a separate full-time career and going to school. I realized that I was spending all of my free time on the business (and not with my wife) because I absolutely loved doing it. So I finally decided to switch careers and do website services for small business full-time and spend my free time with my wife (and maybe have some kids...). I plan to ramp up my business slowly so I can get to know my customers and their businesses.

I'm excited to get to know all of you and learn from you. After poking around the website related parts for the forums I've already seen that I can learn a lot from guys like vangogh, Harold and others. I hope to share a lot of what I know also.

As for my background, in addition to website development and programming I have degrees in Psychology and Finance. I have decent investment experience, am an avid real estate investor and currently own five homes. I have a lot of experience with buying homes, renting them out and other landlord type stuff (particularly in southern California) if you have any questions. On the business side I've formed LLCs, filed trademarks and have some decent tax experience. I love personal finance and believe anyone can succeed if they make the right choices with their money. In fact, while I was in grad school I made a website dedicated to personal finance at www.maysfinancial.com (http://www.maysfinancial.com). Don't worry, there aren't any ads on it and it doesn't sell anything...I just built it to help people. I also love running, rowing, lifting weights and reading--mostly about business and marketing. I spent seven years as an officer in the Marine Corps, spent a year in Iraq and another in Afghanistan, primarily on small advisor teams. I've learned a lot, learned to appreciate what I have and am just happy to be alive and be able to share with you guys.

My website business is called Just Add Content. Here's the web address: justaddcontent.com (http://justaddcontent.com). I'm still playing with pricing and features, so if you're a small business owner let me know what you think, what's missing that you'd want and what I can improve. I'm totally open to suggestions, especially from industry veterans. I only have one design up right now, but I'm working on building more along with writing more posts for the blog. I like giving back so I plan on giving 10% of my profits to charity and want to eventually move up to 25% and higher. Ambitious maybe, but I grew up poor and have been really lucky and fortunate to end up where I am today.

I hope this wasn't too long, but that's me in a very large nutshell. If you're still reading, I appreciate your time and look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks.

-Gabe

billbenson
10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Wow! That's a great background, welcome

Pack-Secure
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Hello and welcome :)

vangogh
10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Gabe. Definitely some great experience on your end. I know how you feel about web design. I used to come home after work and couldn't wait to get to the web stuff. When the company I worked for was bought and we it was back to looking for work, I decided instead to work for myself.

Don't worry about a long introduction. It's nice to be able to get to know a little about your background.

Looking forward to getting to know you better and thanks for joining the community.

KristineS
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Gabe. Sounds like you've had a wide variety of experiences. We're glad you're here.