PDA

View Full Version : hello to everyone

leszek
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I am at the begining of my way to run own business.

At the moment I am regular worker in huge corporation but I want to finish with that and to develop my business even if it is simlpe business

I am already able to make nice and functional websites and I will o my best to be better and better, hopefully some day it will be sufficient to switch from corporate into my own small business.

if you have any advice or tips on how to run small business
it will be always welcome

thanks
leszek

vangogh
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the forum leszek. What kind of business are you thinking of starting? Are you thinking of becoming a web designer or did you mention it more so you could build a site for a different business? There lots of different things we can share with you, but it's hard to know where to begin. Do you have any specific questions? A lot of running a business is learning as you go. If you want to switch why not try to start something part time after work. You could set aside any revenue your business brings as security for the day you leave the job and make the business full time. You'll have a good idea when to do that based on how much you save and how much money the business brings in each month.

Feel free to ask any questions you have and thanks for joining the community.

Pack-Secure
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Hello and Welcome.

leszek
10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I have studied a little html/css/JS to be able to build websites, but I do not have graphic skills so I rather use designs provided by someone else than the one made by myself. As soon as I have design ready I am able to build quite nice and functional website. I know that my level is beginner but I have to start with sth so I am happy with what I have as of today and ready for self-development.
Websites already build by me or the one which are made with my contribution you can find at my portfolio.
websites for small business (http://websitesforsmallbusiness.eu)
If you are aware of good/valuable sources helping to study html/css/js/php etc. please let me know.

thank you

Gabe
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey leszek, welcome to the forums. Best of luck!

vangogh
11-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Sorry your last post didn't go through right away leszek. The link held it in moderation and I just noticed it now. Sorry about that.

It sounds like you're entering the world of web design in much the same way I did. There's a lot to learn, but with all of your skills just keep looking to improve them all the time. With the business side of things think about what it is you do well and use your strength as a selling point. If you don't think your graphic skills are there yet, then focus on something like how usable your sites are or how well they do in search engines or whatever it is you consider a strength.

Play to your strength and spend time improving all your weaknesses. Oddly enough I wrote a post about the very topic of strengths and weaknesses (http://www.vanseodesign.com/online-business/strengths-weaknesses/) a few weeks ago.