PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Tulsa OK

machine
11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I am 48, in school going after a mechanical engineering degree, high school dropout. Right now I am in the planning stages of starting an engineering design service, prototype widgets and whatnot. I have around 20 years experience being self employed, it is time to do something completely audacious. I do have a prototyped poduct, a guitar tremolo that I have spent a year developing, hopefully that is my successful launch, maybe next summer.

With that I will now go look around, seems like this might be an interesting place.

Gabe
11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Hey Machine, welcome to the forums. It'd be a good idea to get a quick placeholder up for your new product. 1) to reserve your domain name, 2) to build interest and collect leads and 3) to age the domain. It's also a good place to send people to if you're talking to them and they want more information.

machine
11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Good advice Gabe, I am working on incorporating now to make sure I get name I want, then onto domain. Age has taught me to slow down a little and pay attention to all the details. Thanks for the welcome!

Pack-Secure
11-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Hello and Welcome.

machine
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks ----

MostHeather
11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi there and welcome to the forum, Machine! I visited Oklahoma a long time ago - saw a car on fire while driving the thousand miles on a rural highway :) Lots of cows and flat land..

It's great to have you here!

Brian Altenhofel
11-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Welcome from the other side of the state!

ozetel
11-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Hi Machine

Welcome to the forum :)

vangogh
11-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Welcome to the forum Machine. Sorry I didn't notice your introduction until now. You and I are about the same age and I also have an engineering degree. Civil engineering in my case. Not that I currently do anything with the degree, but I did learn a lot.

Looking forward to finding out what else we have in common, beside the above and the entrepreneurial thing. Thanks for joining the community.

machine
11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Machine. Sorry I didn't notice your introduction until now. You and I are about the same age and I also have an engineering degree. Civil engineering in my case. Not that I currently do anything with the degree, but I did learn a lot.

Looking forward to finding out what else we have in common, beside the above and the entrepreneurial thing. Thanks for joining the community.
Thanks!

The way and classes that I am going to school it'll be another 4 1/2 years before I graduate. To simplify, I spent 10 years as a mechanic and 20 years in construction, I will never reach a level of engineering experience such as you have. What I am attempting to do is build on the foundation of experience I have, I see myself in designing and prototyping smaller mechanical things, probably splitting my time between desk and shop. At our age it is time to think about spending our last years working at something enjoyable and fulfilling.

machine
11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Welcome from the other side of the state!
Thanks, yes that is the other side of the state, never have been out that way in the 3 & 1/2 years I've lived here. Must have been brutal hot and dry out your way this last summer.

machine
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum, Machine! I visited Oklahoma a long time ago - saw a car on fire while driving the thousand miles on a rural highway :) Lots of cows and flat land..

It's great to have you here!
Thanks, well I am not too familiar with the state as a whole, mostly Tulsa area. Green country is what they call it and one of the reasons it seems to be a fine place live. How is Ohio? Recovering from the great recession much?

machine
11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Machine

Welcome to the forum :)
Hi, welcome to you too, you have a few weeks on me though.

vangogh
11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I will never reach a level of engineering experience such as you have.

Don't sell yourself short. I bet you have more experience than I ever had. I read about how to be an engineer in some books, sat listening to teachers for a few years, and did a lot, and I mean a lot of homework. When that was all done I worked as an engineer for about 2 years, before deciding I wanted to do something else. I bet you have more practical experience right now than I ever had or ever will.