PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I am new here

JessicaLee
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
My name is Jessica. I am new to this forum so I wanted to introduce myself.
I really do not know what to say about myself except that if my posts sound jumbled or not well thought out, I apologize. I type faster than I think, and rarely re-read something unless it is work related.
I joined this forum because I currently work as a bookkeeper to a man who owns a few businesses and well, his business was in such disarray when I got here that I realized that it would be very nice to hear from other people who have the same responsibilities as I do, and how they get those things done.
I am very open minded and am always looking for new, faster more efficient ways to get things done. So I will bet a majority of my questions will be about: am I doing this right, or how can I do this faster and better.
Even though my thinking is very jumbled right now (giving me the appearance of being practically illiterate), I am actually educated in business. I have taken additional accounting classes, but accounting itself alludes me for some reason. Taxes in particular are absolutely NOT my strong suit. I hate taxes. I enjoy keeping things in order, and knowing something is better because I made it that way (meaning I walked into a business that was all paper and put the whole place on computer and gave the owner tips on spending less in certain areas and so on) but taxes are absolutely not my forte! I wish every business I worked for had a personal accountant for taxes, but small businesses generally do not have people like that on payroll. So anyway, if anyone has any tips on taxes or payroll, those tips would be welcome, as would any others relating to small business ownership and bookkeeping. Thank you :)
Jessica

KristineS
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Jessica. There are some accountants and bookkeepers on the site, so you should find some people who can answer your questions. We're glad you're here.

vangogh
11-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Jessica. Like Kristine said we have a few accountants and bookkeepers here so I'm sure you'll be able to ask and answer questions and share experiences. No need to worry about jumbled thoughts. As long as we can figure it out or at least ask you for clarification when needed we'll be ok. I would suggest a line break between paragraphs though, since it makes things much easier to read. But in the end no worries. I'm sure we'll be able to chat.

Looking forward to it and thanks for joining the forum.

Pack-Secure
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Hello and Welcome. Please feel free to share some of those tips you shared with your employer with us. :)

ozetel
11-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Jessica

I wont be able to contribute alot regards the tax system in the USA obviously being an Australian...

But was interested to see. if like Australia, do businesses in the US generally have a tax agent for lodgement of reports and returns and use bookkeeping role for the work in between the business and that tax agent?

You would hope then that the tax agent would have advice for you and thus it works for them because they get the books as they need for their part of the process.

Good luck.

Gabe
11-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Hey Jessica, welcome to the forums. As James mentioned, we do have some folks that are experienced accountants and bookkeepers.