PDA

View Full Version : Business Idea

Twin1
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this,I would like to place beauty vending Machine in malls or outside
Do ya'll think a good idea

billbenson
12-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Well there are bubble gum vending machines all over the place so somebody is making money off of those. I think they have to have a lot of machines to make money though. And I imagine your machines would be more expensive.

Freelancier
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
What's a beauty vending machine include?

Pack-Secure
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I was wondering that also.

Twin1
12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
It would included eg: lip stick /gloss hair externsion, lashes, combs,
pantyhose touch up kit basically etc... 24hr conveince in a machine
for the last min. party goers.

Steve B
12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't use any of those things, but I can't imagine the people that do would want to buy them from a vending machine. Most vending machines are for impulse items. I'm guessing you would lose a lot of money with this idea.

billbenson
12-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't use any of those things, but I can't imagine the people that do would want to buy them from a vending machine. Most vending machines are for impulse items. I'm guessing you would lose a lot of money with this idea.

I'm not sure Steve. My wife is someone who spends 45 minutes putting on makeup before making a phone call with video on Skype. She is also an extreme budget shopper. She will find a makeup item at a thrift store for $3 that sells for $50 at Macy's. And she's not the only one out there like her. I think it's crazy but that's a different issue.

I think with the proper business model there may be a living there. Not a fortune, but a living...

krymson
12-05-2012, 09:33 PM
The problem is where are you going to put them? In a mall? Maybe it would work. Air Ports? Maybe that would work. But what is the realist revenue for you? You have to pay for the machine, the real estate the machine takes up, and the product. The only real way to make up for the investment is to charge outrageous amounts for the product. $10.00+ for a pair of $1.50 panty hose, $20.00 for a $3.00 stick of lip stick? I can see it more for that price in air ports, but most people will say screw it i'll wait till I get to a store instead of paying almost ten times what someone would pay at the store.

This is my opinion, others may differ but these were my thoughts.

Steve B
12-06-2012, 05:39 AM
billbenson - You definitely won't be able to make any money if you sell non-impluse items at bargain prices. The way I'm looking at it is that it will be a very low volume product - so selling it at bargain prices equals failure. Notice the price on sodas in vending machines are always more expensive (often double or triple) than if you walk into a store and buy one - they're making extra margin because they are there when the impulse strikes someone OR they are available at the right time (when the stores are closed).

billbenson
12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
billbenson - You definitely won't be able to make any money if you sell non-impluse items at bargain prices. The way I'm looking at it is that it will be a very low volume product - so selling it at bargain prices equals failure. Notice the price on sodas in vending machines are always more expensive (often double or triple) than if you walk into a store and buy one - they're making extra margin because they are there when the impulse strikes someone OR they are available at the right time (when the stores are closed).

Interesting perspective Steve. Makes sense.

Wozcreative
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The problem with buying cheap beauty products in vending machines is that most people are allergic to cheap products. I personally cannot use foundation that is not for sensitive acne prone skin, nor can I use eyeliner that isn't non-allergenic. Mascara? I wear contacts, so I need to wear mascara that is approved for contacts and won't ruin them. I had a bad batch of mascara when I went clubbing once and I had to throw out the contacts and I was b lind the whole night! I did not have a good time to say the least.

How will you insure yourself so that anyone that gets any rashes, illnesses or crud on their skin from the cheap products that you sell in the vending machine?

If you are a women, (for guys this may sound silly), but getting ready to go to a party is like a ritual.. you have to have the "right" products at hand and not rush. If you have your good clothes, your makeup done well with your products (sorry but they ARE safety blankets for most women), then you will not have a good time! Theres something really "yucky" about buying products that have been in a vending machine.. outside in the sun, rain, cold etc.. for a long time.... you want those expired things to go on your face? :s

Steve B
12-06-2012, 01:33 PM
FWIW - to the original poster. All of my opinions should be considered as suspect. I have to admit I thought bottled water was the dumbest idea I ever heard of and was SURE it was going to be a big failure.

Twin1
12-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I will like to thank everyone for their feeback. I think I steer away from this idea
and look into open a beauty supply store.

billbenson
12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I will like to thank everyone for their feeback. I think I steer away from this idea
and look into open a beauty supply store.

It's pretty easy to test. Buy a machine. I'm guessing $1k to $2k. Get a location and try it.

As far as businesses go, it's not that expensive of a test and you will probably get your money back over time.

nealrm
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Instead of trying to sell a full range of products, how about trying a more limited approach. Single use lipstick, and fingernail polish. The goal would not be to try to sell a full makeup set, but an emergency patch kit. Place the machines in clubs and other social locations.

billbenson
12-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Instead of trying to sell a full range of products, how about trying a more limited approach. Single use lipstick, and fingernail polish. The goal would not be to try to sell a full makeup set, but an emergency patch kit. Place the machines in clubs and other social locations.

Or the same stuff that is in the clearance section at Walgreens. My wife finds great deals there and it's top shelf stuff that hasn't expired!

shaunbaird
12-07-2012, 02:29 AM
You will always get the occasional passing trade, but if you ever want to compete and be branded it is going to take a lot of viral activity to generate this.

To be a large established brand within the cosmetics industry will take a considerable amount of money and time, and you'll probably be squeezed out due to lack of funds.

Anyway :-) back to the question you posted, like any good idea it will require some testing and funds...

Unless you've got very deep pockets you need to think creatively and start by getting people to sample "your brand" of products - create a fan or group page on Facebook and when you've got a good following on there (months or longer) then get them in locations people will need them.

Remember most businesses fail within the first couple of years so think and think how it can be done for next to nothing "first"... maybe pick your best location (high passing traffic that is targeted) and ensure the vending machine is very attractive...

I would go for toilets/bathrooms in high-traffic areas like nightclubs, train stations, hotels.

Good luck!

Shaun

dave@businessecon.org
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Steve has it right; I don't see it at all. I had to evaluate an ATM busines once, here they disburse cash for a fee. It was all about location location location. He had a lot of transaction activity at the the strip clubs but that was about it overall. So you would have to find the perfect spot. To be honest with you, women don't step out the front door unless they are perfect to begin with.

Good luck.

Dave

kristenjames
12-13-2012, 07:22 AM
see why beauty vending machine??being a girl i can tell you that we ignore buying such things from vending machines. Or if you going to put such business then choose correct place as it matters alot. In a mall or some crowded place...so in business all things matter either its place or interest