PDA

View Full Version : Asked some local businesses advice, got the cold shoulder

Broman
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Hello forum

I'm new here, though I've read through a few articles, one that I followed recently but hasn't turned out like I expected. I am currently making a cellphone/smartphone gadget, it's a 6 in 1 universal device designed to enhance the usability of smartphones and build on their features. I have gotten a bit of advice that sounds great, the advice is that I should contact local stores in my area that sell products like the one I'm trying to sell and ask them about their business and any relevant questions to help me sell to stores like them, what to expect etc. So I decided to send them an email (there's only 3 local companies in my area) I sen't them the letter below...

Hello Ms ______,

This is ______ _________, I'm the CEO of ______ Products in Santa Rosa. We're in development of a new smartphone gadget and would like to share some of our new prototypes with you. The product is a 6-1 universal smartphone gadget that enhances the usability and features of smartphones and similar devices. The device combines a ______, _____, ______, ______, _____, and ________ into a device that's just a _______ and sticks to the back of most smartphones/cases via a new __________.

We value your years of experience and insight into the minds of consumers who purchase smartphones and accessories. We'd like it if you could share some of your knowledge so we can further refine our product if necessary and to improve our chances for success once we've released this product in 2013.

So please let me know if you'd like to take a look and when your available.

Happy Holidays,

I blocked out sensitive information but you get the picture. It seems that I am horrible at talking to people, I am great at inventing stuff, but I cannot grasp how to word things, what to say, or sometimes even grasping others tone or body language. Considering that humans are perhaps the most social animals that ever existed it's extremely frustrating. To me the email above looks good, but for some reason I get no replies.

What am I doing wrong?

nealrm
12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
sending out emails for this will be a wast of time. Instead I would invite them to lunch, you pay. Let them know before hand that the you wish to discuss idea about a new product you are developing.

MyITGuy
12-13-2012, 02:50 PM
sending out emails for this will be a wast of time. Instead I would invite them to lunch, you pay. Let them know before hand that the you wish to discuss idea about a new product you are developing.

Agreed!

The reasoning behind reaching out to local businesses is to get that personal contact (I.E. Avoiding paper/emails and etc).

Broman
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I tried a new letter today, shorter less about the product more on the goal, and it worked. However, the store said they're too busy to see me this month. Bad timing I guess.

Here's that letter...
Hello _____,

My name is ____ I own a start-up in _________ called _____ Products that focuses on smartphone accessories. We've made a very radical and new 6 in 1 universal smartphone accessory that uses _______ and we'd like to show our prototype to your manager at your _______ location. We're not trying to sell anything, we are simply young product designers who want to better understand the needs and wants of your business type. We have questions like how do you find new products, who do you buy from, how do return/refund policies work for our end, etc. We'd also like to lend you a prototype so you can test it on various phones and phone cases to see how easy it is for people to understand and to help us write the instruction card.

We'd prefer to do this on an off/slow day so that it doesn't affect your productivity. We'd appreciate any advice you could give us, we'd certainly make it worth your while once we've released a product, we'd credit your help on our website among other perks.

Hope to hear from you soon

-_______

Broman
12-13-2012, 02:59 PM

I tried that once, a cellphone kiosk had an ad to sell their store, I emailed (it was the only contact info) and told them that they'd accidently put the wrong city in the post and told them I was seeking advice from a store owner, that I'd love to meet and pay for lunch. The ad was corrected and I never got a reply, lol.

I re sent a followup email that stated clearly that I wasn't selling anything, that I am a young guy looking for some knowledge, and 2 of three replied so far. Both said after the holidays, I am going to buy them lunch in January. I'll admit I'm a bit of a cheapskate but your right I should give them something for their time and knowledge.

The lunch thing didn't go over to well, they said "lets just talk in January"

So now lets not screw this up, Ill make a follow up post on what to say, do during this meeting...

Pack-Secure
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Good luck and keep at it.

Wozcreative
12-13-2012, 08:06 PM
People are usually very busy this time of year. Most people don't want to freely share knowledge like that though if they don't already know you on a personal level.. there's nothing in it for them.

Offering to "lend" something to the business just sounds like you are gearing them to be your guinea pig for testing your own product out.

Regarding setting up time to meet.. businesses don't "really" have a slow day.. when they aren't making money, they are working on how to make money, dealing with errands, collecting money, or using that time to work on less important things. Anytime a client asks me to meet up with them.. there needs to be a good reason to do so. I don't charge for meetings, but it better be productive and a big enough project needs to be confirmed to discuss at the meeting before I take the time out.

Some notes on your letter. It's not personal enough, and isn't going to hit a string with him on an emotional level. Likewise the email is ALL about you you you you. The guy doesn't care about you. He wants to know will this meeting be valuable to his own business.

Testing a product and working on it (writing instruction card as you had requested).. is work. It means money. Is that something this business does? Write? They would need to use their resources for your project you had better be more clear that you are willing to pay for this. It helps to state a budget to entice the person to want to work with you.

I can't count how many times I received emails by other designers who want to know how I manage to get clients because it seems slow for them. Seriously?! What is in it for ME. I find it extremely rude! My instinct is always why doesnt this guy just do his own homework? This is exactly why his business is flunking. So really you may be seeming like a dummy.. someone who wants answers fed to him as well.. this is why no one is replying.

You'd have to try another solution other than emailing these people.. try networking in your area instead. Make sure to create an emotional bond with the person first.

successcoach
12-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Broman -

Welcome to the forum!

Your business and your ability to influence others, will grow in proportion to your own growth - as a person and business owner. Consider immersing yourself in some self-improvement material. If companies and the general public don't 'buy' you, why should they buy anything else you have to offer them? I speak from personal experience - as personal growth is an ongoing process. It becomes a function of confidence and competence.

Everyday I engage in activity that grows me as person, coach, and business. Why? So I can in turn deliver more value to my audience and clients.

A hearty "Amen!" to what Wozcreative shared with you. People are tuned into one of the most popular radio stations: WIIFM - What's In It For Me.

Work on 'selling' benefits not just features. What are the benefits to the company and ultimately the end-user? For example a cell phone comes with the feature - caller ID. The benefit to the person receiving the call can decide whether or not to take an incoming call or send the caller to voicemail.

I trust this has served you.

Apply knowledge,

David

huggytree
12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
why would you think sending out e-mails asking for advice would work?

they dont know you....why do they give a sh*t about you or your product....thats not how the game works

you have to meet them somewhere and talk to them..become friends....join the chamber of commerce or someother organization....you need to 'know' them

a cold e-mail will just get deleted....

i wouldnt even read it....but if a competitor just starting out showed up at one of my association meetings i may help him out a bit if he had a specific question...

you need the human touch....not a computer

Ted
01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
What am I doing wrong?

Hey Broman,

Neal, It, Woz and Huggy have given you some really good advice in my opinion.

Here is how I would approach things in your situation.

Focus on just one person first (one of those store managers or business owners or whatever). Try to establish rapport with that one person first instead of trying to use a boiler plate template to contact everyone. Do one specific target at a time.

Contact them directly. Don't send an email to the store. Send an email to the person. If they don't respond to your email, then call the store and ask for them. If they don't take your phone call then send the person a personal snail mail letter through the USPS. You might even try just visiting the store and asking for the person.

Tell this person you are willing to do whatever it takes to get a private audience with them for twenty minutes or a half an hour. Remind him that you are not selling him anything and that you are just a young inexperienced dude looking for some honest advice and that you would really really value his opinion. Let him know what kinds of questions you would be asking him.

Let him set the terms of the meeting. Offer to meet in private, at his store or out to lunch on your tab or a coffee shop or even just a telephone conversation at some pre-determined time according to whatever fits his schedule. And make sure you thank him again and again every time you communicate with him.

Most people are more than willing to help someone who asks for it. The problem is that they imagine it being an inconvenient pain in the a** to help you from which they derrive no benefit. Therefore, they will drag their feet and beat around the bush and put it off if possible.

So try to take away their objections to help you by reiterating that
1) you are not selling
2) You will do whatever it takes to get an audience
3) You are completely open to their schedule
4) You will take whatever they are willing to give whether it is face to face or telephone
5) You are willing to take whatever amount of time they will offer even if it is only 10 minutes

And sell the idea by reiterating
1) How very thankful you would be
2) How strongly you value his specific opinion and advice
3) How you would be happy to do anything in your power to compensate for this favor you are asking

Also tell them that you would really appreciate it if you could do it some time this month or even later this week if possible. Ask to please get a tentative date and time.

Each time you contact this person, tell them that you are not trying to be a pest and that if they request that you stop trying to contact them about this that you will gladly stop.

If you try your hardest and still can't get an audience with that person, then offer the same deal to someone else who works there. Approach enough people one on one and someone will agree to help you.

Avah
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I believe that it's effective when you try to mix the traditional type of marketing and the modern type which we all know as internet marketing. There are lots of articles, blogs, and video tutorial even ebooks on how to How internet marketing tools can be used to build a small business marketing plan. They don't cost much but is very helpful they will even teach you how to construct an email that can intrigue your potential client without scaring them away because they'd always say "Oh another email marketer". It's really pretty easy. Just give it a quick try, you have nothing to loose but more to gain. :)

Avah
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Another thing, instead of sending emails to people for advice if they're still a prospect client, why not show them what you can provide them that way it's more straightforward.:)