PDA

View Full Version : Will Print Media End in 2030

angelajason06
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Some one told me that print Media will end by 2030?? It is Correct??

KristineS
01-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't think it will end, I think it will adapt. There will always be things that need printing, if you look beyond brochures and catalogs, there are things like banners and signs that will always need to be printed. I also think there will still be room for print media as well. Magazines aren't going to disappear. Catalogs won't either. There's always going to be a certain segment of the population that will want those things.

Wozcreative
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
There's just something so satisfying about a printed piece fresh off the press and in your hands.

Harold Mansfield
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Some one told me that print Media will end by 2030?? It is Correct??
I wouldn't be surprised if by 2030 "print media" comes on cheap disposable tablets that cost less to make than amount of paper it takes to physically print the same amount of information.

huggytree
01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
it will never end until my generation is buried....so maybe 2050

i want my customers to have my company info on file....i want it to land on their desk

when i buy a car i want a large sales brochure to look over again and again

i bought a Dodge in 2011 that didnt come with a manual....just a CD.....WTF.....i called to complain and get a full users manual....i want to sit in a chair and read it....i dont want a laptop on my lap...i dont want to squint at a computer screen........reality is they did it to save themselves a buck.....sure they can say 'we did it to be green'....i dont believe being green had anything to do with it......everyone wants a users manual in their glovebox

computers crash......i have physical copies of everything

Harold Mansfield
01-05-2013, 12:37 PM
it will never end until my generation is buried....so maybe 2050

i want my customers to have my company info on file....i want it to land on their desk

when i buy a car i want a large sales brochure to look over again and again

i bought a Dodge in 2011 that didnt come with a manual....just a CD.....WTF.....i called to complain and get a full users manual....i want to sit in a chair and read it....i dont want a laptop on my lap...i dont want to squint at a computer screen........reality is they did it to save themselves a buck.....sure they can say 'we did it to be green'....i dont believe being green had anything to do with it......everyone wants a users manual in their glovebox

computers crash......i have physical copies of everything

I can understand that. We are used to having that mannual in the glove box. It just seems like something that should be with the car.

But for the most part I do like having everything digital rather than having a ton of mannuals and instruction booklets to keep up with. Mainly because I've never had a computer crash where I lost everything, and usually, once I install something or get it set up I hardly ever need the mannual again....that's if I've ever read it in the first place.

I have a stack of phone mannuals from cell phones over the years that I have NEVER cracked the plastic on.
When it comes to things like electronics, if I have to read the mannual I get a little annoyed.

billbenson
01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Looking that far out Huggy, I don't think you will have much choice. Printed manuals are expensive. Even today, many products have a pdf manual you can download and print if you like. I think I'm about 15 years older than you and the less paper on my desk or in my office the better. And if you do decent backups, your data will be safe. In fact much safer than paper copy. With paper copy, you aren't protected from fire. With off prem data backup you are.

I think that by 2030 people like you will be in such a minority that companies won't cater to those customers.

Harold Mansfield
01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Change is inevitable.
I didn't have a choice when music went from cassette to CD, and I hated CDs. You could throw a cassette across the room, pop it in and it still played. If you looked at a CD wrong it would skip and your money completely wasted. They take up more room to store and there was NEVER an easy way to keep them in the car...let alone easy access to change an individual CD while driving.

Did you ever have a CD Walkman? And you had to carry around a bunch of bulky, plastic packaged CDs with you? That was the epitome of inneficiency.
I really hated CDs.

Then when I finally got used to CD's, the iPod came out (Praise the Lord!) and everything started going digital and smaller. I'm still not 100% comfortable with not having any hard copies of most my music, but on the other hand, how much longer would I be able to buy something to play them on?

Digital is more convenient in so many ways...allows better and easier access and you can store an almost unlimited amount without taking up any physical space anywhere. Not to mention the fact that you can find literally anything without shopping a million record stores.

Remember the days of driving around town from store to store looking for a product, or a part for something? Over.

Best thing about digital? You can't destroy, or lose your only copy. You can always back up, or re-download from where ever you purchased it. If I had a nickel for every album I had to repurchase because of damage, theft, loss, girlfriends, or just having someone borrow it and never return it, I'd be a thousandaire. I must have purchased "Upstairs at Eric's" alone, at least 5 times.

You ever find a cassette (or a mannual) under the floor mat and it was all dirty and wet? Ruined. Those days are over.

Remember traveling with books?

Change happens. Not much we can do to stop it. Faster, cheaper and more efficient has always ruled the market.

nealrm
01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I strongly suspect that print media outside of special use will be dead long before then. Most printed materials are dead now, it is only habit that makes people still print them. Flyer, banners and some other items may still be printed but most will go digital. It already cost more to print a color magazine than the ads inside are worth. Newspapers are basically local news with reprint of yesterdays internet articles. The real estate sections are a joke. For most of the year by the time they are printed 5% of the listings are off market. (When the market gets back to full swing it will be 15%). Road Maps are dead. Reference books are dead. Leisure books may be able to hang on the longest. Only because publishers control many of the means to market. Once writer find a good and consistent way to the people, they will find it to their financial advantage to go electronic.

I suspect that flyers will be replaced by NFC, blue tooth or bar code scanning. You can even get an app that replaces the maps and event postings at Six flags.

nealrm
01-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Also, the printed owners manual aren't work the paper they are printed on. I don't need a 1" thick book taking up my glove-box that tells me how to bucket my seat belt or that my doors lock when I hit the lock button.

billbenson
01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Also, the printed owners manual aren't work the paper they are printed on. I don't need a 1" thick book taking up my glove-box that tells me how to bucket my seat belt or that my doors lock when I hit the lock button.

Ya, it's really only a handful of pages you need from the owners manual. Changing the clock for example is not intuitive in my wifes car. Some of the warning messages aren't either. But that's about it.

Laura Chittenden
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Print, like verbal or electronic or etched stone, is just a channel for communication. It is used by those who want to use it. Everyone uses something because they consider it either useful, the only method, because it is convenient and economical, or just out of habit. Print is certainly not the only method, neither is it very economical or convenient for the one who prints it. Many use it out of habit, as the others have posted. But where habits must change, the alternative must be useful. Is print useful? I'd say wherever print is useful, it will be used. Some examples might be:

a manual about how to work through an extended power outage

a theatrical brochure allows its readers to browse during a play versus distracting the other viewers with a cell phone using the electronic version of the brochure

any text that would be useful to have when your phone does not have access to the internet (maybe an in-flight menu?)

I think these examples show the heart of the matter. Still, I think many things will remain for habit's sake and convenience sake. For example, I, too, prefer a physical copy of my car manual to a digital copy on my cell phone. For me, I would have to have it on my phone's hard drive because I don't have 3g or 4g, just wifi access. Plus, I personally think it's easier to crack open the manual than to take the time to open it on my phone and stare at it's little screen.

hanabeecreative
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't think print will be completely dead. Radio is still around even though it's been said that "video killed the radio star". I still listen to some talk radio now and then.. :cool:

nealrm
01-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Radio is only around because you can't watch video and drive a car. (For those that THINK they can, please tell the rest of us when and where you will be on the road)\

Harold Mansfield
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Radio is a good example. I think commercial radio sucks and haven't listened to it in years. But I also understand that a lot of people, especially in small towns and rural areas do listen to it. So do commuters and younger people...kids actually. Radio is still the #1 way to market top 40 crap to kids.

nealrm
01-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Radio is still the #1 way to market top 40 crap to kids.
Sorry old man, they get the top 40 from internet downloads. Not only do neither of my kids listen to the radio, none of their friends do either.

Harold Mansfield
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Sorry old man, they get the top 40 from internet downloads. Not only do neither of my kids listen to the radio, none of their friends do either.
Yes, but how are they initially aware that the music even exists? You can't tell me that constant , repetitive playlists of commercial radio has nothing to do with it.

But I will accept the old man crack. Popular music today is so horrible to me that I can't even deal anymore. Very few artists actually impress me anymore.

Ted
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I think that all you people who think that print media is dead or dying are all nuts.

Just because digital media is gaining in popularity, it does not mean that print media is dying.

Actually it is quite the contrary. Only certain individual niches are regressing, like yellow pages for instance.

I have family members who work in the paper industry. According to the rate at which the paper industry is growing, I have no doubt that not only will print media still be around, it will be bigger than it is now. It might be tiny compared to digital media, but the print industry is still thriving in most areas.

If you don't believe me, look at the sales of paper products for large companies like International Paper. They are booming big time.

nealrm
01-08-2013, 11:40 PM
But I will accept the old man crack. Popular music today is so horrible to me that I can't even deal anymore. Very few artists actually impress me anymore. Tell us the truth - you have Justin Bieber and Hannah Montana poster hanging on your walls.:D It seams that many of the kids agree. Many of them are listening to the same bands we did. Rolling stones, Beatles, Billy Idol, etc.

Yes, but how are they initially aware that the music even exists? You can't tell me that constant , repetitive playlists of commercial radio has nothing to do with it. They find the music through TV shows, Youtube and sharing MP3. I honestly can remember seeing any of the kids with a radio. Maybe the crowd is still too young.

nealrm
01-09-2013, 12:03 AM
I think that all you people who think that print media is dead or dying are all nuts.

Just because digital media is gaining in popularity, it does not mean that print media is dying.

Actually it is quite the contrary. Only certain individual niches are regressing, like yellow pages for instance.

I have family members who work in the paper industry. According to the rate at which the paper industry is growing, I have no doubt that not only will print media still be around, it will be bigger than it is now. It might be tiny compared to digital media, but the print industry is still thriving in most areas.

If you don't believe me, look at the sales of paper products for large companies like International Paper. They are booming big time.

The paper industry in larger than just printing. The growth areas for paper have been packaging and tissue. I suspect that copy and printer paper may also be holding its own. But none of that is what you would call print media. Print media is newspaper, magazine, bulk printed flyers, brochures, etc. Those items are going away. People will still print of small batch on small printer, but the bulk stuff is dying.

billbenson
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
The thing about radio, I drive an old beat up truck without even a cd player. No biggie, I drive a couple of miles a day on average. There is a local radio station that plays softer stuff ie not much AC/DC, but everything from current pop to old Beatles tunes. Frequently they will play a song I hadn't thought about in years, but I like. I go home and download it. Sure there are other sources for this, but it still works.

Talking about music you trip over. Here are two I like:

Lisa Minnelli and Pavarotti doing New York New York. I'm not an opera fan but I love the crass voice and showmanship of Lisa with Pavarotti's refined voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6q_LLQDYk

And this is an upbeat jazzish sort of thing by Paulo Nutini that I bet nobody's ever seen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuzki0ZpDo

Business Attorney
01-09-2013, 01:45 AM
While I agree that some things will continue to be printed long into the future, I also agree that print media will be at most a shadow of what it is today. Daily newspapers have been dying a slow death for decades. First the afternoon papers went out of business, then the second (and lower) place newspapers in many markets disappeared. Despite the reduced competition, circulation for most newspapers continues to drop steadily.

The same thing is happening for many magazines. Newsweek just folded its print publication. Several trade mags I get have moved much of their content to the internet while the printed versions get thinner and thinner.

There are a lot of factors that go into it and cost is certainly one. For me, the speed is the biggest difference, though. By the time a newspaper or a magazine like Time reaches me, there is almost no news that is really "news." Yes, there are features and articles that are not time sensitive that I can enjoy, but a big part of why people have subscribed in the past is to keep up with the news, and print media simply can't compete on that level.

tallen
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Local commercial printers -- the small shops that turn out the brochures, business cards, letterhead, and what not for local business -- are going out of business themselves. Their clientele are moving more and more to digital distribution and print-on-demand, and the local shops are being out competed by the likes of Vistaprint. Depending on the nature of your business, there certainly still is a place for business cards, brochures, etc... and even for advertising in print media, but you likely need to be online, too.

hanabeecreative
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
It depends on what radio you listen to. Sports radio and talk radio are still around. Plus.. I get my fix of Howard Stern (yes.. I am a woman) though that's satellite radio.

I agree Tallen.. there is always a place for 'takeaway' materials, but for print advertising I think it could get less and less effective.

patrickprecisione
03-27-2013, 09:56 AM
2030, huh? Unless you were talking to Nostradamus, I'm curious how they came up with such a specific year for the end of all print media!

There's certainly a great deal of print media that is already absolete, as some have already mentioned, but I think in 18 years or so there will probably be a need for print media in some capacity. Of course, I can't predict the future, so who knows!

semaphore.v
04-06-2013, 04:22 AM
video and audio cassette disappeared in 10 years from 2000 to 2012 and video and audio CD and DVD is in process of disappearing so i can't guess..

BR101
05-11-2013, 04:41 AM
I think printing will always be around. Maybe not as robust but they'll be a place for it no doubt.

Web Boss Group
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I think it will always be around it will just get more limited. Nothing beats a tangible record.

patrickprecisione
05-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Yes, I think some version of print will be around. I don't think comparing print to audio cassettes is an apt comparison either. But this is only an educated guess, who knows what the future holds?

Online-Marketing-Guru
07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
People can predict anything. Perhaps the sun will stop shining in 2030 or perhaps the someone will discover the cure for the common cold in 2030 or perhaps Sylvester Stallone will star in "Rocky 30" in 2030. But in all seriousness, no one knows for sure what will even happen tomorrow, let alone in 2030. We should always hope for the best but expect and be prepared for the worse! :)

patrickprecisione
07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
People can predict anything. Perhaps the sun will stop shining in 2030 or perhaps the someone will discover the cure for the common cold in 2030 or perhaps Sylvester Stallone will star in "Rocky 30" in 2030. But in all seriousness, no one knows for sure what will even happen tomorrow, let alone in 2030. We should always hope for the best but expect and be prepared for the worse! :)

I disagree. Sure, we can't say with 100% certainty what will happen but we can certainly look at some factors and make an educated guess. So to restate the initial question- Do current trends indicate that print media will be virtually nonexistent by 2030?

Online-Marketing-Guru
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM
....Do current trends indicate that print media will be virtually nonexistent by 2030?

Patrick, with your clarity reiterated, I would say my guess would be "Yes". PErhaps not 100% completely but I do believe trends show that consumption of print media is now and in the future will be significantly diminished.

Deren_Stevens
07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
It's my opinion that print advertising media will ever completely go away. I liked KristineS's response that it will adapt. Some people will always like the tactile experience of having materials in hand.

Harold Mansfield
07-14-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't want to go all Minority Report on everyone, but I think disposable, thin, plastic, tablet style reading devices will be everywhere.
They'll be cheap, portable, (maybe even foldable) and update via wifi. They'll be so cheap that they'll be cheaper than printing an issue on paper.

We'll be using them for reports in school, newspapers, and magazines.

patrickprecisione
07-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't want to go all Minority Report on everyone

This really made me chuckle for some reason. Is this your go to future movie reference?

Harold Mansfield
07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
This really made me chuckle for some reason. Is this your go to future movie reference?

I loved the premise of the personalized, targeted advertising in that movie. Invasive, and scary, but we are so close to being there right now. The only thing missing are screens and monitors everywhere.

http://youtu.be/7bXJ_obaiYQ

Khalifa
07-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Why in 2030 not 2031?

LGCG
07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Why in 2030 not 2031?

Exactly! The specificity of 2030 kind of makes this thread ridiculous. I think most of us can agree that the role of print media will diminish (more so) in the future but why 2030?

patrickprecisione
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I loved the premise of the personalized, targeted advertising in that movie. Invasive, and scary, but we are so close to being there right now. The only thing missing are screens and monitors everywhere.

http://youtu.be/7bXJ_obaiYQ

Creepy! But I agree, we're practically there. The worst part is? We've willingly given up the information required for them to create this advertising.

ryantc
01-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Print media will be around for a very long time to come. One of the reasons is the following:
Tangibility – A print piece is a physical thing. Magazines and newspapers can stay in houses or offices for months or years, while Internet ads can disappear into cyber space instantaneously. Furthermore... Print Media is More Engaging – Consumers are more engaged when reading printed material, unlike websites, which are often skimmed in as little as a 15 second visit. A study shows that people read digital screen text 20% – 30% slower than printed paper.

Wozcreative
01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Not with 35% of North American's population being aging baby boomers. These people will still rely on print.

nealrm
01-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Outside of a few special uses, print media will be dead before 2030. For most uses it is dead now, it just doesn't know it.

David Hunter
01-05-2015, 06:40 PM
All the smart marketers are turning back to print marketing because they know it works!

It ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Harold Mansfield
01-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Ads long as local newspapers are where the real reporters are who break the national stories newspaper is good too.

nealrm
01-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Ads long as local newspapers are where the real reporters are who break the national stories newspaper is good too.

Look at the by-lines for the stories in your local paper. All the national stories are coming from the assoc press. Those are the same reporter that are writing online. The only thing papers cover is local events. Due to the delay in printing, in most cases the local events are reported on after the local TV stations have aired their reports. Really the only places were newspapers are holding on is retirement areas (like Florida).

Harold Mansfield
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Look at the by-lines for the stories in your local paper. All the national stories are coming from the assoc press. Those are the same reporter that are writing online. The only thing papers cover is local events. Due to the delay in printing, in most cases the local events are reported on after the local TV stations have aired their reports. Really the only places were newspapers are holding on is retirement areas (like Florida).

Not true. Bob McDonald story was broken by a local reporter. Ferguson started with local reporting. There are 100's of examples of national news that was picked up from local reporting and most times it's newspaper reporters. With the exception of politics and federal government, national news is just local news amplified. Nothing happens nationally, it happens locally and then the nation hears about it.

Yes, there are a lot of AP stories, but AP doesn't break all of those stories, they pick them up from the grunt reporters who do all of the ground work.

billbenson
01-05-2015, 11:12 PM
. Really the only places were newspapers are holding on is retirement areas (like Florida).

Being in FL I take offence at that :)

Of course some printed material will be around for a long time. But with many magazines and newspapers discontuning printed material or the magazines and newspapers becoming much thinner, its going to to be a minimal source of information. It costs more to print a newspaper than put it online. It's really a question of economics. Printed material is more expensive to produce and the demand for it is diminishing. My mother is 90 and gets her news online.

WilliamChapman
04-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Print media will exist in future, but I think scope for print media os being replaced by smart phons, blogs, forums, and online studies. As every thing is moving from printing to digital media.