PDA

View Full Version : Searching for your data (Windows)

Computer Conquest
01-07-2013, 05:08 AM
Hello everyone,

My company is a small IT startup.

I am looking to engage with the public regarding searching for your files and data.

Take a look at my poll and give me your opinions.

Anyone that is interested in trying out our fantastic new Windows search tool, free of charge, then contact me! :)

Kind regards,

Wozcreative
01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I rarely use any searches, but when I do.. it'll be on a mac.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
It's rare that I won't know where something is on my own computer. Even what little I have on Skydrive and the Google whatsimajigit. Can't say I've ever lost anything and didn't know how to retrieve it. Nor would be interested in a 3rd party search app.

Seems more like something people who operate on Networks would need. Not individual computers.

Wozcreative
01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with Harold. I know usually where everything is. I don't actually use the search function as I only really deal with 5 folders.

billbenson
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a folder called archive. It's kind of a disorganized mess. But then its got stuff I haven't needed in 10 plus year in it like my resume.

Computer Conquest
01-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I'm surprised that you guys do not use search. I often lose my files or have to scan through my emails to fidn a particular piece of information!

Thank you for your feedback though.

Keep the opinions coming everyone! Who counts themselves as a search guru?

Wozcreative
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
When using windows OS I did found my files were a cluttered mess.. though the folders structure seems to work the same as on a mac.. for some reason I found macs a bit more organized.

Working as a graphic designer I need to be very careful with how i put everything in folders so that I can easily pull them up. There is one folder that I can say i have trouble with.. haven't figured out how to structure everything. I mostly have trouble finding the version that has something im looking for.. often a preview of the file will tell me if it has it.. but i will have to go through a couple of previews to find it. Perhaps your search tool may need a better preview functionality for all types of formats?

Computer Conquest
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Indeed Wozcreative, File previews and versioning will be important functions of our tool!

It is more than just search too. Instead of navigating to a folder you have called "My custom designs", imagine just typing 'my' into the search bar. Then the telesense will drop down immediately (like Google searches) with things like "MY documents, My games, My designs". Simply click the one you want then our tool will display all files that are associated with that folder. Its a newer, quicker way to navigate but still use all your custom folder names :)

Wozcreative
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Should also be able to search wether you want to look for strictly .ai files or .pdf etc.
Often find that the search functionalities built in are kind of slow, with big files especially.. same goes for previews. How will your tool tackle this?

Computer Conquest
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Users can search of any file extension they choose. Even more than 1 at a time as well. e.g. *.pdf AND *.exe. etc

Speed will be a major focus of our tool. The technologies we are using are very quick working on information that has previously been indexed

J from Michigan
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
If you asked me over the summer (for example) I would have said "I don't."
- but for some reason I have been more and more lately... and I use Windows Search.

Computer Conquest
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
If you asked me over the summer (for example) I would have said "I don't."
- but for some reason I have been more and more lately... and I use Windows Search.

out of curiosity, do you know why you seem to be using search more often? is it in a personal capacity or work related?