PDA

View Full Version : Business Switch-up

jiffybutler
02-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Hi there,
I'm a young entrepreneur in grade 11 with a current profit of 40k/year. I co-founded a company called Minerva, which helps medical students on their interviews. We have currently produced a single book to help the mentioned students on their MMI (multiple mini interviews). I am, however, for many different reasons going to step out of this business in order to start a smaller-scaled online business. I want to create something along the lines of an e-commerce site or an affiliate site. Something that will get me 500 to 1000 dollars per month. The reason I'm asking for your advice is because I have absolutely no expertise in this field, other than making the site. I have some experience in marketing, but would appreciate any advice you have regarding that. So do you know any easy to make and maintain websites that will make around 500 or more dollars? Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Harold Mansfield
02-06-2013, 08:47 AM
The first thing I'll tell you is making money via ecommerce is really hard. Everyone wants something low maintenance that makes an extra $1000 a month, but it's not that easy or else everyone with a computer would be doing it.

I'd say first time out with no experience it may take you a couple of years to finally get a formula that brings in a consistent $1000 a month.

We just had a simular discussion around here about How much it takes to start an online business, here:
http://www.small-business-forum.net/starting-your-business/8107-bit-rant-how-much-money-do-you-need-start-online-business.html

And another one on Starting an ecommerce site with ads, here:
http://www.small-business-forum.net/internet-marketing/7864-ecommerce-site-sales-blog-w-ads.html

There's good information, opinion and discussion in each, you should read through them.

jiffybutler
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Thank you so much for your wonderful input. I have thought about what you said and can't possibly agree more. What are your thoughts on affiliate websites. I've recently read a lot about the E bay affiliate program and it honestly sounds great. I will be selling snowboards; something which I have lots of expertise in. I will be writing great reviews on each snowboard I sell. What do you think about this?
Thanks

Harold Mansfield
02-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Thank you so much for your wonderful input. I have thought about what you said and can't possibly agree more. What are your thoughts on affiliate websites. I've recently read a lot about the E bay affiliate program and it honestly sounds great. I will be selling snowboards; something which I have lots of expertise in. I will be writing great reviews on each snowboard I sell. What do you think about this?
Thanks

Actually E-bay is one of my favorites and one of the only affiliate programs that I was able to make consistent money.
If you build a really nice website, one that is considered to be a leader, a source of information, you'll increase your chances.

It's still going to take time, attention to detail, and you still have to learn the web, and marketing. It's not going to happen overnight. When I first started out it took me at least a year before I made any affiliate sales.

GreaterVisibility
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't have any particular advice on this subject (other than to perhaps go check out The Warrior Forum for advice and information on lots of affiliate stuff) as I've never done that before.

I just wanted to commend you for hustling at such a young age. Good for you! Go out there and kick azz and hopefully I'll read about you or listen to your podcast someday. I love it when young people get involved like that. I hustled, and had I had any encouragement instead of the garbage advice that other people handed me in the poor area that I lived, I'd be a lot farther in my journey than I even am today.