PDA

View Full Version : New User Looking To Brainstorm With Other Fellow Entrepreneur

JL503
03-06-2013, 10:06 PM
So I am 25 year old male who hails from the great Pacific Northwest. I graduated with a degree in entrepreneurship and have been involved with start ups for a few years now. The biggest fault I have made thus far has been creating products that do not solve a problem or aren't a big enough pain that people are willing to use them. I of course found out the hard way after many sleepless nights and long days. Recently I began working with a great group of guys from all over the U.S, which includes a programmer, designer, and two marketers including myself. Right now we are in the brainstorming stage, trying to figure out a problem that affects enough people and creates enough pain to begin creating a solution to it. I hope to learn from many of you here and will try to give as much advice as I can to help others out. I am also a huge believer in the Lean Startup methodology and try to apply it in all new ventures that I begin, as I find it creates efficiency if executed correctly.

vangogh
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the forum JL503. I didn't know they offered degrees in entrepreneurship. That's pretty cool. Sounds like you already have some good experience and have learned a few of the more important lessons. There are people who never figure out they need products that actually solve problems people care enough about to buy a solution. Some people never get there.

Glad to have you on board and thanks for joining the community.

Gabe
03-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the forums. I didn't know they had degrees in entrepreneurship either. It sounds like an interesting take on a business degree, but a bit ironic. Do you feel it helped in starting businesses?

JL503
03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Entrepreneurship is not a common degree to get, but I would say it helped me to learn the basics like how to write a business plan, a feasibility plan, the business language, etc, but the one thing about entrepreneurship is that you have to actually go out there and often times fail to really learn the true lessons. I think back on some of the lessons my professors taught and at the time they didnt make a lot of sense, but now looking back and what Ive been through, I now truly understand what they meant. I would defiantly recommend anyone who has a passion for entrepreneurship to pursue a bachelors degree in it and an MBA, depending on the person, but just to remember at the end of the day the best lessons are the ones you learn when you get your hands dirty.

vangogh
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
you have to actually go out there and often times fail to really learn the true lessons

An important lesson many are afraid to ever learn.

remember at the end of the day the best lessons are the ones you learn when you get your hands dirty

I think it works both ways. When you learn from both experience and theory the two combine to teach you more than either would alone. If you could only choose to learn one way, I'd go with the practical experience, but I don't think you have to or should choose only one.

KristineS
03-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'd not heard of a degree in entrepreneurship either. Seems kind of counter-intuitive, but interesting.

IADS
03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Entrepreneurship was a class that I had to take when getting my degree in Business Communications. As a matter fact it was more then one class. Taking those classes contributed to me wanting to be my own boss.

Congratulations on your degree, and good luck on your ventures....