PDA

View Full Version : What are the responsibilities of a sponsor for an event?

csepulveda85
03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
I own a fashion boutique and want to sponsor an event for a friends charity. I would love the exposure and helping a cause and friend but I never did this, so im not sure what my responsibilities are.

Am i supposed to put in money? Advertising ect?
I believe she wants to go something like a party event in a lounge.

What exactly do i have to do and what do i have to put in?

Freelancier
03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes, you are expected to contribute money or "in-kind" (e.g., the lounge owner might contribute the lounge and be a sponsor that way).

For that money (or in-kind), you should get specific marketing opportunities that you work out with your friend. For example, signage, giveaways, etc.

That's the basics. You should sit down with your friend and figure out what she needs and what she is offering and what you can do.

nealrm
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
In many cases your responsibilities will end with signing the check. However, you can also be a sponsor by providing services or products. It all depends on the event.

IADS
03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
If you are sponsoring an event for a not-profit organization you will just have to give them something and be recognized for it.

On the other hand, if you are sponsoring an event for a friend in trouble/sick, and this is mainly personal you may have to do most of the work. That includes decision making, making phone calls, advertising, getting other volunteers, putting out press releases,etc...

With you having a fashion boutique you may put on a fashion show with volunteer models. Maybe invite students from a local fashion schools to participate and show their wares. Sell logo impressions on the printed program or website, from other participating sponsors.

I've seen sponsors hold complete events without much help from the funds recipient, and sponsors who just write a check, and a mix of the two. Ask the group that you are sponsoring what they want from you?

Harold Mansfield
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
When I was in the bar/ nightclub industry, working back in Detroit, the club I managed booked fashion and hair shows on off nights.

The clothing and jewelry usually came from sponsors ( Local shops) who were mentioned in the show (or had signage around the stage), on the programs and in the promotion and advertisements leading up to the show itself. Some would provide prizes for giveaways and raffles.

I've done a few websites for events that had sponsors who were mentioned on the website as well as all of the offline promotion.

Some sponsors pay for the whole thing, and take a cut of the gate or ticket sales. "Brought to you by...." is everywhere. That is sponsorship.
NASCAR is a good example of 100% sponsorship. No way it would exist as it is today without team sponsors.

Obviously the more credible and popular the event, the more it's going to cost a sponsor to be associated with it.
It's really all up to the person throwing the event. There's no one way to do it.

It could be full support of the event, or as small as just providing a few pieces of jewelry for a show or display.

KristineS
03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
We've done some sponsorships at trade shows and it was all strictly specified, we paid money and we're given a specified amount of signage and recognition at the show. Most larger organizations will do things in that way, they'll provide levels of sponsorship and what each level entitles the sponsoring entity to, and then you decide how much you want to spend or give in product.

wskdigital
03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
In many cases your responsibilities will end with signing the check.

Yep, I agree with the quoted text above, but I would make a strict agreement on paper on what they have to do in return. For instance, your business name printed on their banners, etc. or a table for your brochures/business cards.

The point of sponsorship is to get the word out about your business. If that doesn't happen, your money is wasted (in a business sense).

iambarrywark
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Actually that is your major role, Its a sponsorship agreement. It can be give and take so make sure that you also get the advertising that you need from what you give.

JaydenSamuelson
04-19-2013, 01:55 AM
If you are doing for a social cause then it is your great idea. There are many options to sponsor a event, for this you will have to spend on advertising. Advertising can be done in many ways in which promotional products or items are some of the branding option where you can reach the target audience with your message. Try to search for agencies which deal in promotional products for events or tradeshows.

markhendricks
07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
one idea:

sponsor by providing the clothes, accessories for the fashion show that will be part of the event.

get some of the attendees to be the volunteer models

get a cosmetics person to sponsor by doing the volunteer models makeup

get a hair dresser person to sponsor by doing the volunteer models hair

etc.

Mark Hendricks

ryantc
01-05-2015, 01:00 PM
The sponsor of an event is usually responsible for the following items and more:
Attendance at Event
Schedule Space & Publish on Calendar
Facility, Food, Media Services / Coordination