PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the software you use for your business?

abcdan
03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I'm a programmer looking to create software for an industry that's in need of a product or an improved product. If you think your business could use software or better software, I'd be happy to work with you to create it for you. The software would be free, in exchange for your help in determining how the software should best function to meet your needs. My hope would be that I could go on to sell the software to other businesses within your industry that have similar software needs. Please let me know if this interests you.

Thanks!
Dan

MyITGuy
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I'm a programmer looking to create software for an industry that's in need of a product or an improved product. If you think your business could use software or better software, I'd be happy to work with you to create it for you. The software would be free, in exchange for your help in determining how the software should best function to meet your needs. My hope would be that I could go on to sell the software to other businesses within your industry that have similar software needs. Please let me know if this interests you.

Thanks!
Dan

I utilize two products and I could see both of them using some huge improvements...however I wouldn't be giving away my thoughts/ideas for free ;)

What language(s) do you program in? The thoughts on improvement I have would lean more towards someone who can develop web/mobile apps.

abcdan
03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I utilize two products and I could see both of them using some huge improvements...however I wouldn't be giving away my thoughts/ideas for free ;)

What language(s) do you program in? The thoughts on improvement I have would lean more towards someone who can develop web/mobile apps.

I program primarily in C#, VB.net and Javascript. My experience has been creating web apps and desktop apps, although I'm open to going the route of mobile app as well.

rshughes
03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
As a manufacturing job shop, we use a legacy accounting and MRP program that's based on Superbase (anyone remember SB?). It's a step up from Quickbooks because it allows full bills of material, scheduling, and simplified MRP. In terms of features, I would think it's similar to DBA software (see Product Features - DBA Manufacturing Software (http://www.dbamanufacturing.com/features/)) except it includes AR, AP and GL.

Unfortunately the software is produced and supported by only one person, and frankly he doesn't have the time to support it. There are also many bugs, and it will not work with newer 64-bit Windows because Superbase hasn't updated their code.

Dan, is this what you had in mind? Might be too large of a project, just let us know...

abcdan
03-21-2013, 01:14 AM
As a manufacturing job shop, we use a legacy accounting and MRP program that's based on Superbase (anyone remember SB?). It's a step up from Quickbooks because it allows full bills of material, scheduling, and simplified MRP. In terms of features, I would think it's similar to DBA software (see Product Features - DBA Manufacturing Software (http://www.dbamanufacturing.com/features/)) except it includes AR, AP and GL.

Unfortunately the software is produced and supported by only one person, and frankly he doesn't have the time to support it. There are also many bugs, and it will not work with newer 64-bit Windows because Superbase hasn't updated their code.

Dan, is this what you had in mind? Might be too large of a project, just let us know...

Thank you for your response -- what you're describing does sound like what I have in mind.

Is DBA software not a viable solution for you because it doesn't include AR, AP and GL, or are there other aspects of DBA that don't fit your needs?

Thanks!

Blue Hen
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Dan, that's a pretty interesting way to get your foot in the door. I like your approach. There are a lot of small alternative financing companies that are using outdated software like "Microsoft Excel". They may be a vertical to explore.

abcdan
03-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Dan, that's a pretty interesting way to get your foot in the door. I like your approach. There are a lot of small alternative financing companies that are using outdated software like "Microsoft Excel". They may be a vertical to explore.

Thanks, Sean. I appreciate the suggestion!

rshughes
04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your response -- what you're describing does sound like what I have in mind.

Is DBA software not a viable solution for you because it doesn't include AR, AP and GL, or are there other aspects of DBA that don't fit your needs?

Thanks!Sorry for the delay in responding. We looked at DBA 15 yrs ago and another company owner/friend who tried it at that time told me it was difficult to set up. Honestly I haven't looked at DBA since then, and can't tell you what changes have been made in its features or ease of use. It might be really good now.

That being said, we'd prefer a fully integrated s/w package which includes ar/ap/gl. This would avoid having to export data to another piece of s/w for the accounting, which can be troublesome if not done correctly. Some packages actually cite this as a "feature" (easy export to Quickbooks)... well, I don't like QB.

If this application area is what you're interested in, I'd suggest doing a survey of available s/w of this type. Some other packages I've heard of include JobBoss, E2, BusinessWorks, etc. My advice is to pick your battles carefully and focus on a niche -- you do not want to compete head-on with everyone else out there.