PDA

View Full Version : how to you blow off a customer?

huggytree
03-17-2013, 12:47 PM
i have had 5 customers lately that i just blew off due to them not fitting my customer profile...i havent done this much if at all in the past

i know they will never be my customers by the type of questions they ask....its painfully obvious...so i tell them ill call them back when i get home and just never do

a few wanted me to bid on $200 jobs.....when i explained to them that it costs me approx $166 out of my pocket to come over for the bid they still demand it

another's 1st question was 'do you give free estimates?'...then proceeded to tell me he wanted me to redo pipes inside his walls without opening his walls...somehow he wanted me to do it from the basement and reach up 2-3' inside his 2x4 walls.....then told me he cant afford the project right now, but just wanted the 'free' estimate at this time

another was for a rehab(they NEVER hire a real plumber for rehabs...just sidejobbers)...i told him a rough estimate over the phone and caught the 2-3 seconds of silence as he was in shock....he still wanted the bid...in 6 years in business ive never won one of these...so ive given up trying...oh yea he also wanted me to do the bid on the weekend or after 6pm...which i dont do unless its a sure thing

these arent customers...they are users(whether they know it or not).....so i BS'd them and just never called back

is there a honest way to tell them the truth? that im not interested in their business.....should i tell them im too busy?

i get one of these customers a few times a year....it was odd to have 5 in 1 week

Zerocool7
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Sometimes its best to just be honest with people. In a nice way of course. Just tell them you are not interested in there business you have more important things going on atm.

Freelancier
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
A few years back, I instituted a "minimum job size" that helps govern whether I take on a new customer. If the customer's initial job size is too small, I don't want it and I tell them that it's too small for my business model and then refer them to another consultant who doesn't have a problem with smaller jobs. Existing clients can ask for anything from me, because they have already proven that they value what I do for them. New ones don't know, so I want to be sure their budget matches their needs, which is one of the first steps to making sure they will be a good client.

What you want to do is figure out what "rules" you want to have for new clients to determine whether you will accept them as a new client.

Harold Mansfield
03-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Everyone gets window shoppers, people completely oblivious to what things cost, or all around general a**holes.
I just tell them that I'm not the guy for the job and move on.

When I was a limo driver and someone I didn't want to drive approached me, I'd quote them a price so high that they'd go elsewhere.
When I was a bartender, I just threw them out.

What ever works for you.

huggytree
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM
there's typically no good way to be honest when the person is a user type customer.....most of them either dont realize it or dont care.....probably both

my method just leaves them wondering what happened to me...odds are they called 10+ other plumbers and dont even realize that i never called them back

who says 'do give free estimates' or 'how much per hour do you charge' as their first sentence after i pick up the phone and say 'hello?'

no one.....no one good anyways...you may have it on your mind, but dont you work it into the conversation after a bit.....

i cant be honest w/ this type of customer without being rude....im too honest

Steve B
03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't see this as much of a dilemma. Why would you have to be rude if you just want to tell them that you only work on bigger projects? I would see it as an opportunity to help out a plumber (or handyman) that likes the small jobs. It may pay off in referrals for you when the smaller plumber gets asked to bid on jobs that are too big or complex for them.

Your instincts are correct - just "forgetting" to call them back is not the right way to treat anybody.

Wozcreative
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
For me, clients get quotes over the phone, or via email. I won't come in to meet with them just to talk about spec. Likewise, if the client agrees to the quote, but still wants to meet to discuss, if the project is too small, I'll usually tell them I am too busy and decline the project. It often is not worth me making the trip. My car is a gas guzzler, and having clients come here also eats up my time as I need to get ready and look presentable (I usually sit around looking like a jobless hobo at home while working). I generally waste about 2 - 3 hours just to meet up with someone for half an hour.

Sometimes a client will call me about a project that is mid-way. I am then honest with them and tell them that I prefer to build the relationship off a solid project and not something so small. I explain that sometimes there is far too much back and forth to get me up to speed on the project than the actual work is worth.

Just do your best and explain. Tell them you're busy, or the project is not a good fit, or your minimum project sizes are $$$. Tons of construction based companies do that—they have to take projects with a certain amount otherwise it is a waste.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
For me, clients get quotes over the phone, or via email. I won't come in to meet with them just to talk about spec. ... It often is not worth me making the trip. My car is a gas guzzler, and having clients come here also eats up my time as I need to get ready and look presentable (I usually sit around looking like a jobless hobo at home while working). I generally waste about 2 - 3 hours just to meet up with someone for half an hour.

This is the exact reason why I don't target local customers. When people know you are local they want you to drive across town to meet with them which is a rediculous waste of time.
Everything we need to talk about, everything I need to show them, and everything I need to send them is online or on my computer and I can show them in seconds.

I've done one or two local clients and it ended up wasting so much time with the back and forth to their office (which doesn't even have wifi) just to talk, that I swore I'd never do it again.

These days I'll do a local client, but the minute they want an in person meeting just to discuss, I'm out. If I was selling brochures and print material, I'd feel differently. But going offline, to talk about an online product that I can't even show you, is very unproductive.

I've met a few local designers that target all local. God Bless them. They can have it.

KristineS
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Seems like the best bet would be to find someone who does like or want this type of work. Then all you need to say is "I don't handle jobs of this type, but I can recommend X Plumbing. Here's their number". Direct, simple, provides a solution and isn't rude.

Wozcreative
03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
This is the exact reason why I don't target local customers. When people know you are local they want you to drive across town to meet with them which is a rediculous waste of time.
Everything we need to talk about, everything I need to show them, and everything I need to send them is online or on my computer and I can show them in seconds.

I've done one or two local clients and it ended up wasting so much time with the back and forth to their office (which doesn't even have wifi) just to talk, that I swore I'd never do it again.

These days I'll do a local client, but the minute they want an in person meeting just to discuss, I'm out. If I was selling brochures and print material, I'd feel differently. But going offline, to talk about an online product that I can't even show you, is very unproductive.

I've met a few local designers that target all local. God Bless them. They can have it.

Local clients are more likely to be repeat customers, and their budgets are much bigger— but that is maybe because of where I live. Local or not, with email or phone, there really is no excuse to meet up.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Local clients are more likely to be repeat customers, and their budgets are much bigger— .

Not sure I follow that logic. Must be a Canadian thing.

Wozcreative
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Not sure I follow that logic. Must be a Canadian thing.

Here in Toronto, the only reason you would consider outsourcing is if you want the job done cheaper. There is a much bigger trust value for local talent, who are more readily available than when outsourcing. Subconsciously people have more trust for local service providers. They build partnerships easier. There is often a reliability off the bat when you talk to people (IE, we went to the same school, worked in the same neighbourhood.. ate at the same restaurants etc.). Locals are also aware of what similar services go for in the area, so they are more likely to go for you if they've already gone offshore and have gotten bitten. I get more cheapskates calling from the USA and being shocked by some of the pricing I offer—what is more ridiculous is that these guys will try to dumb me down to their level of pricing because "thats what they charge in their area".

I may just be lucky that the area I'm in, creativity is more appreciated as a hard working living. All the big brands I work for are all local.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I think that is just your reality based on where you live. And also a different mentality and culture in CA than in the U.S. Forgive me, but Canadians are very polite and Americans are not.

I'm sure that you aren't suggesting that Toronto is the epicenter of all good web cleints and you need to live there to do business with any of them. If you were talking about New York and fashion, I may agree with you.

I'm just sayin'. It's a big world.

People in cities like Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Sri Lanka would likely disagree with you.

Wozcreative
03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I usually advertise in SF, NY and Miami - these are where the cheapskates come from. I have not tried the other cities you mentioned though.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I usually advertise in SF, NY and Miami - these are where the cheapskates come from. I have not tried the other cities you mentioned though.
Interesting. I have/or have had clients all over and there is no one area that is worse than any other.

I grew up in Detroit when the CA dollar was .66 cents to the American dollar. Some people still haven't realized that American money is even (or 2% off) with the Canadian dollar. You may be getting people who are used to anything Canadian being cheaper, even though you are charging the same rates as everyone else.

Americans are kind of self absorbed like that. Why else do you think we're the only country on the planet that won't use the metric system? Won't even consider it. It never comes up. Ever.

Back when I worked the phone room, we ran one commercial in Canada and it was like night and day. I never closed so many deals in my life. The people on the calls were nicer and just about every single one of them purchased without many questions and were happy about it.

Most of our advertising was run across America and with Americans you get deal making, bartering, rudeness, impatience, hang ups, people who want more than what they pay for, people who think they can outsmart you, and so on. In comparison, Americans don't give the salesman or service provider any respect as knowledgeable or an expert in their field. You have to hit them over the head with it.

It's a game here. To see how much you can get and spend as little as possible by beating the sales person out of something. Americans like to feel as if they've made you make a little less just to get their business.

Canadians aren't like that. So you may just be experiencing the difference in cultures. You're from (and do business in) a nice trusting place where business is a little more respectful. We aren't like that. Well, I should say a lot of us aren't like that. It's a crap shoot.

Just the differences in what you allow for advertising and business standards is completely different from the crap you can sell here promising to make people rich for $29.99.

So I'd say when dealing with Americans, especially in major cities like NY , you need to wear a different coat of armor because our guard is up 24/7.

I've dealt with clients in CA, Jamaica, Iceland, Spain, England and Australia and there are differences. Believe it or not, we (Americans) aren't the rudest, but we are a close second.

huggytree
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't see this as much of a dilemma. Why would you have to be rude if you just want to tell them that you only work on bigger projects? I would see it as an opportunity to help out a plumber (or handyman) that likes the small jobs. It may pay off in referrals for you when the smaller plumber gets asked to bid on jobs that are too big or complex for them.

Your instincts are correct - just "forgetting" to call them back is not the right way to treat anybody.

i do like small jobs.....i just dont want to bid on them.....when a customer instists i look at the job first and its a $200-300 job how can i make a extra trip just to 'look' at the job first.....i tell them 'i dont bid on anything under $1,000...i just come and do it = T&M'....when a customer refuses then i say no thanks

small jobs are good because i get a ton of 6 hour days....they are perfect to fill the day and get my name out there...i dont prefer small jobs, but they are great as filler...

there's no 'good' way to tell a customer you dont want their business.

huggytree
03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

if the job is over $1,000 then is deserves a bid...i can pad the bid a bit to cover my bidding time......when you get people who want a bid for a 1.5 hour job its unreasonable...they are not my customer...my customer is a referral and just says 'come over'...many times without even asking price

Business Attorney
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Seems like the best bet would be to find someone who does like or want this type of work. Then all you need to say is "I don't handle jobs of this type, but I can recommend X Plumbing. Here's their number". Direct, simple, provides a solution and isn't rude.

That may work with some of the callers but I suspect that most of the ones Huggy described would be the customer from h*ll that you would never want to send to another plumber unless you hated the guy.

I think all of us get calls from people who, for whatever reason, are not right for us. I try to be polite to everyone and probably spend a bit too long on the phone with someone after I realize that there is not going to be a fit. Part of it may be that I know that people don't generally hold attorneys in high esteem, so I do want to send them off feeling good about our conversation even though I have turned down the work.

If someone has unrealistic expectations, like expecting a plumber to come to their house to bid on a $200, or in the case of a legal client, finding a lawyer to take a $200 case on a contingency basis, I not only tell them that I don't handle litigation matters but try to explain that they are wasting their time spending an afternoon trying to find a lawyer who will take a $200 case, let alone on a contingency basis. However, the last thing I would do is send that kind of a caller to another attorney.

wskdigital
03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Why not just be nice and honest. If they don't like what you say, that's their problem. I say something like: "Thank you for considering me for this job, unfortunately I cannot take a job this small because I won't make any money." Usually they say something like: "OK thanks" and hang up or don't reply to my email.

huggytree
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
is being honest and telling someone you dont want the job under 'their' parameters because you wont make any money better than telling you'll call them back and then dont?

i really dont think so....

do you think this type of customer is just going to say 'oh yea, i guess i am a bad customer...sorry for wasting your time'.....no chance....they are going to think 'how rude that plumber was telling me my job isnt worth his time....he makes $100 an hour and i make $15....he's over paid,etc,etc,etc''.......

not calling them back just leaves them wondering....no hate, no anger...just confusion....

i really think its the better way......either way they were never a potential customer and odds are they will forget about me in 1 day if i dont anger them by telling them their job isnt worth my time

no i wouldnt give these customers to any friends....they all were bad customers....i suspect they will call 20+ plumbers just to get 1 to come over for a bid...(and they will wonder 'why?')

Freelancier
03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
is being honest and telling someone you dont want the job under 'their' parameters because you wont make any money better than telling you'll call them back and then dont?

i really dont think so....

Seriously?? One answer is honest, the other is lying, and you don't see that the choice of honesty is better? :mad:

Steve B
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I was going to say exactly what Freelancier said. I just don't see the issue here. Tell the truth without drawing a judgemental conclusion (i.e. your a "bad" customer).

I don't agree these customers are going to all be that bad. I think they might be great customers for a handyman that is happy working for 20 or 30 per hour and doesn't have enough work at the moment.

Wozcreative
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I once told a client "Unfortunately I'm not able to get your project to where you want with the budget you currently have so this may not be the right fit for me"

The client came back angrily saying "That was a very rude reply! I am never using your services!"

:p can't win them all

BNB
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
We don't turn customers away or blow them off. There is (almost) always a way to find a middle ground and win a customer. We can almost always find a way to work within a customers budget. But I don't know why you would ever need to blow off a customer, give them your best offer and they will make the decision that's right for them. Negativity towards customers is a very poor culture for a business and totally unacceptable here.

BNB
03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
It's a game here. To see how much you can get and spend as little as possible by beating the sales person out of something. Americans like to feel as if they've made you make a little less just to get their business.

Canadians aren't like that. So you may just be experiencing the difference in cultures. You're from (and do business in) a nice trusting place where business is a little more respectful. We aren't like that. Well, I should say a lot of us aren't like that. It's a crap shoot.

I would respectfully disagree with you. We do quite a bit of business with Canadian customers and have found them to be almost exactly the same as our American customers. I'm not sure what sort of people you were advertising to, but in general, 99% of our customers are polite and easy to work with, regardless of country.

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
I would respectfully disagree with you. We do quite a bit of business with Canadian customers and have found them to be almost exactly the same as our American customers. I'm not sure what sort of people you were advertising to, but in general, 99% of our customers are polite and easy to work with, regardless of country.

Most of my customers are polite and easy to work with too. But there is are cultural differences to the way people do business and communicate around the world. It's not all exactly the same.
I would suspect that if you do business internationally regularly, or have experience dealing with people from other countries and recognize the subtle nuances that are different or may come off as rude (like conjugating verbs), you learn how to adjust.

BNB
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
not calling them back just leaves them wondering....no hate, no anger...just confusion....

i really think its the better way......either way they were never a potential customer and odds are they will forget about me in 1 day if i dont anger them by telling them their job isnt worth my time

no i wouldnt give these customers to any friends....they all were bad customers....i suspect they will call 20+ plumbers just to get 1 to come over for a bid...(and they will wonder 'why?')

Not calling back is far worse. I'd go home and be expecting your phone call. Though I would never be that customer because I have a concept of bidding and wasting contractors time, but I see no issue with telling the customer that you are unable to bid on such a small project as the time it takes to bid isn't covered by the cost of the job. This is not rude. In fact, by assuming such negative things about potential customers, you are insuring you will never get their business. Why not call them back, give a rough estimated price over the phone and explain you cannot bid in person on such a small job. They may very well just say "ok, come over".

huggytree
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I once told a client "Unfortunately I'm not able to get your project to where you want with the budget you currently have so this may not be the right fit for me"

The client came back angrily saying "That was a very rude reply! I am never using your services!"

:p can't win them all

this is exactly the response id expect.....if not then id assume they are thinking it!!!

not calling them back isnt as rude as you think...you are assuming they only called me and will be sitting next to the phone all night....waiting.....the truth is they most likely called 10+ plumbers....and cant even remember who called them back or not.....

i still think the truth is worse than blowing them off......for a good customer NO....but for one who's obviously bad...i really dont think it matters how you get rid of them.....the faster the better....then you have more time for your actual customers

and as far as working in a budget...one said he had no money right now.....another was a rehab'er.....rehab budgets are typically 25% of actual costs....thats why on tv you always see illegals working and the jobs are always texas and California.....no one rehabs with an actual contractor....there would be no profit if they did...most likely it would be a loss....some of these shows talk about redoing a bath for $2,500.....while the typical one i do is $15,000....where's the middle ground when $'s are that far apart.....

MyITGuy
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I'll admit it...I havent read all of the posts in this thread but I do have to agree that not being upfront with the customer and telling them you will call them back but don't will likely have an impact on that customers choices in the future.

As a consultant, not every customer will be a match and I am always up front about this as soon as I believe this is the case. Most are satisfied with my responses and I tend to get repeat calls asking me to do the work for them anyhow, although I do get a few that take it the wrong way and never hear from again.

As a customer, when I have a repair issue that is outside of my knowledge I do generate a list of companies that I make contact with (or leave messages for) with their phone numbers, ETA on when they can do the job and for how much. I will refer to these lists again down the road if I have any other (I.E. Bigger projects included), so if someone doesn't call me back on a small job...then I'm not giving them the opportunity for any future work.

Wozcreative
03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
A client not too long ago called me asking me for quotes on website designs and logos. When I quoted $750 ($600 under the industries standards—so a fair price I'm asking), the client paused in shock and then continued on about how she has a designer who charges $75 - $200 for a logo and she just tacks on her fee. She then asked me about a website, and I said the minimum I work for is $5000 for websites and she said well.. the girl she uses, uses templates and that makes things easier, so the girl only charges her $500, bla bla bla.. so this whole time she was trying to CONVINCE me to charge what she charges in SF. In the end I said, listen, I spend 40 - 80 hours on these things, I am not going to be doing any crap job just to whip up a page. That's exactly how people burn themselves out. Also I asked her if she can even imagine how many logos I'd have to design in a month to feed myself and pay the bills if I'm charging $75??

People are SO ridiculous. It's just disrespectful to ask for something just because she doesn't understand or know how to sell the value of good design. To these people all you really have to do is tell them, look, its not a good fit, they will get upset either way I've learned.

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Reading and commenting on this thread is the most thought I've ever put into this subject.

If I don't want to do business with someone I just tell them and give them what ever reason applies. That's it.

In the past I have fired existing clients and not always in the most professional way, but as a rule I treat everyone with respect regardless of if they are going to be a client or not.
That's just how I am. I don't "blow people off" because they aren't in my budget range. Doesn't matter how busy I am or how much money I'm making...I'm just not that guy. I'm in the customer service business. You take the good with the bad and treat everyone the same or don't answer the phone.

Anyone can be a future client or a good referral when they are treated with respect.

MyITGuy
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
A client not too long ago called me asking me for quotes on website designs and logos. When I quoted $750 ($600 under the industries standards—so a fair price I'm asking), the client paused in shock and then continued on about how she has a designer who charges $75 - $200 for a logo and she just tacks on her fee. She then asked me about a website, and I said the minimum I work for is $5000 for websites and she said well.. the girl she uses, uses templates and that makes things easier, so the girl only charges her $500, bla bla bla.. so this whole time she was trying to CONVINCE me to charge what she charges in SF. In the end I said, listen, I spend 40 - 80 hours on these things, I am not going to be doing any crap job just to whip up a page. That's exactly how people burn themselves out. Also I asked her if she can even imagine how many logos I'd have to design in a month to feed myself and pay the bills if I'm charging $75??

People are SO ridiculous. It's just disrespectful to ask for something just because she doesn't understand or know how to sell the value of good design. To these people all you really have to do is tell them, look, its not a good fit, they will get upset either way I've learned.

One thing that I always bring up when people mention what other people charge or what she pays them....Then why are you calling me?

Most likely they aren't happy with the persons work, the person is being overworked and not meeting deadlines, or they are BS'ing on what rate they are asking/paying.

Freelancier
03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
One thing that I always bring up when people mention what other people charge or what she pays them....Then why are you calling me?

Excellent point that a lot of non-sales-people will miss. When the client tells you something that they intend to be a negative about you, sometimes there's something else going on that you need to suppress your ego to spot. I just one a good size project from a competitor who charged less than me... because they couldn't finish the project that was already a year late. Sometimes customers need to be reminded why you're better and why they'll end up saving money by paying you a higher rate.

BNB
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm in the customer service business. You take the good with the bad and treat everyone the same or don't answer the phone.

Anyone can be a future client or a good referral when they are treated with respect.

Exactly! This attitude of blowing off a customer is extremely short sighted. I can tell you that my largest project, by far, was from a customer whom we had no idea was as large as they were. They called to have a small order rushed out to them. Turns out, that small order was a sample and after many months, it came back as a huge order.

To apply this to plumbing, just being polite and explaining that it's not the correct project for you can go a long way. Or making the time and just doing the job if it's reasonable. You have no idea if their uncle is building a new development and would need a great plumber, or if they'll refer you to a friend with a bigger budget. It's just so short sighted to blow them off. At a minimum, a simple explanation would suffice.

BNB
03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Excellent point that a lot of non-sales-people will miss. When the client tells you something that they intend to be a negative about you, sometimes there's something else going on that you need to suppress your ego to spot. I just one a good size project from a competitor who charged less than me... because they couldn't finish the project that was already a year late. Sometimes customers need to be reminded why you're better and why they'll end up saving money by paying you a higher rate.

"Then why are you calling me?" - Again, negativity. And you are correct Freelancier, it's necessary to suppress your ego and spot exactly WHY the client is calling you. This is nothing more than a simple objection which, if you can overcome, you'll probably win the client.

huggytree
03-20-2013, 08:53 PM
guy w/ the rehab called AGAIN....so i setup the bid for 6pm tonight....i took my son w/ so i get some family time

when i got there he admitted i was the 1st bid(which i figured).....$8,100 for a whole house redo....i suspect his budget is $3,000

I WILL do the follow ups with this job....i want to prove myself right (to myself)....i never bother bidding on these anymore and i guess its been 1-2 years now

im going to call next week and ask if my price is within his budget range

over the phone i quoted him $3,500, but that was before he added all the extra's....he didnt mention 1/2 the project over the phone....

most likely he called 10 plumbers....and i was the only sucker to show

he will find a side jobber for $3,500....the job will look like sh*t.....there will be problems........thats how these rehabs always play out

Steve B
03-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I imagine you realize that not winning one particular bid doesn't prove anything. You would have to do a bid like this 20 or 30 times and keep track of the results over a few years to prove anything in my book. And, what are you proving? It seems like the advice you are getting here is to be polite and tell him that the job is not a good fit for you.

BNB
03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
guy w/ the rehab called AGAIN....so i setup the bid for 6pm tonight....i took my son w/ so i get some family time

when i got there he admitted i was the 1st bid(which i figured).....$8,100 for a whole house redo....i suspect his budget is $3,000

I WILL do the follow ups with this job....i want to prove myself right (to myself)....i never bother bidding on these anymore and i guess its been 1-2 years now

im going to call next week and ask if my price is within his budget range

over the phone i quoted him $3,500, but that was before he added all the extra's....he didnt mention 1/2 the project over the phone....

most likely he called 10 plumbers....and i was the only sucker to show

he will find a side jobber for $3,500....the job will look like sh*t.....there will be problems........thats how these rehabs always play out

You did the right thing. But keep a positive attitude. Business is far more about the long tail than the short tail, meaning, you may not get this job, but the rehab guy may very well need some plumbing for his own house down the road and want it done right. He's also in the biz, so he may be able to recommend you to others. If you keep setting the hooks out there, they'll start to pay off.

And who knows, maybe you'll come to an agreement closer to $4,000 (with less work than the $8k bid). The way you are writing, it sounds like you want this to be a self fulfilling prophecy - this is not a very good way to approach it. On a sub-conscious level, you'll come off this way to the customer and you'll get exactly what you think you are going to get.

Ultimately, I don't think you are going to convince anyone here that blowing off a customer or being rude to a customer is good business.

huggytree
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
hard not to be negative when you can see the end result coming from a mile away....i kept it positive with the customer....then had a life lesson with my son on the way home....telling him all the things i saw and heard tells me i have 0 chance......im good at reading people and trying to pass it on to my son

ive bid on 20-30 rehabs over the years.....once i won a very minor one....and the owner was horrible and complained about my prices probably 10x during the 4 hours i was there...

this rehab is already completely gutted down to the studs...its basically a new house....he cant change his plans anymore....

if he would have told me over the phone what his complete plan was i could have told him $8,000 as a rough estimate.....from the little he told me i phone/quoted him $3,200ish

if i dont get the job it will just confirm why i dont bid on rehabs....yes i did the right thing and since i took my son with me i didnt wreck my family time giving the homeowner an after hours bid....

Ted
03-27-2013, 07:15 PM
hard not to be negative when you can see the end result coming from a mile away

I know exactly what you are going through with job bids like this. Once you have been doing it for a while you just know whether or not a job is right for you.

Here is how I handle that situation now. I always try to recommend someone else for their situation.

If I know that the customer is going to be a huge pain in the rear no matter who they hire, then I will refer them to a local competitor that I absolutely hate. Let them deal with that bad customer. If the customer sounds like a relatively normal person who is just looking for the cheapest price then I will recommend a competitor whom I respect and/or like. When the prospect tells me about their job, I will say something like...."Ya know what....I am not the best guy for that kind of job....The place I recommend you call is..........." When you tell them during the initial contact that they are better off going with someone else, then they are less likely to become offended.

If you tell them that you don't want their work after you have already quoted them, well then you are between a rock and a hard place.

I always wash my hands of the job right away rather than stringing them on because even though you are forcing them to go somewhere else, you don't want them to spread negative views about you and your business.

Another way that I minimize the amount of time spend dealing with "price shoppers" and "bad prospects" is by pre-qualifying customers better before they even call me. I have gotten much better at this in recent years. On my website I explain who my ideal client is. I explain what my specialty is and what my specialty is not. I tell them my specialty is the kind of work that I want to attract and I tell them the opposite about the kind of work I don't want.

That way if a person does any research on me and my business, it will filter out the prospects I don't want so that they don't even waste my time calling me. I try to filter all my advertising through my website. The only other calls I get directly are from referrals. And when the job is a referral, the person is already prequalified and presold on me.

This system works well for stopping the price shoppers and time wasters. I spend very little time screening prospects now compared to how much time I used to. And when I do get the odd person calling who isn't in my ideal target market, I just refer them to someone else as I said.

omid
04-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Just be honest and tell them you are not interested in a nice way!