PDA

View Full Version : Ein number sole propieter

kyms
03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
I was told i don't need an ein i used turbo tax and it says to file electronically i need to enter one, i need my refund asap but i cant submit and did i do something wrong cuz it shows a w2 form im self employed n confused. Ty kym

IADS
03-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Use your Social Security number. A TIN is a Tax ID Number. An EIN* is the same thing, but given out because you are hiring. They are both basically the SS# of your business when it comes to taxes. A sole proprietorship has a chose to use one of those or their SS#.
LLC's and Corporations must have one. They cost nothing to get....FREE. :o

*Employer ID Number

Freelancier
03-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Individuals can also get an EIN/TIN as a way to have an alternative to your own SS #, for security purposes. It's a good idea if you have to hand it out a lot, because when you fill out a W-9 to another person/business who hired you, those people aren't always so secure with their documents.

jamesray50
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
A sole proprietor can have a EIN. I use mine in place of my SS #. I haven't used Turbo Tax, but since you are an individual and not a business you will use your social security number for your 1040. As for the W2, it sounds like you entered information on a W2 form. Go back to the federal section and redo it. Do not answer yes to wages from employment, instead answer yes to income from self-employment. This should take you through reporting all the income and expenses from self-employment. This will generate a Schedule C which will be attached to the 1040.

Anytime someone wants your SS# or EIN, if it's business related always use the EIN. Hope this helps. Good luck.

IADS
03-26-2013, 12:01 AM
I don't think that the question was about if he could get an EIN. It was about what to do with the form. Also, I'm not sure if you can get an EIN/TIN and use it for tax issues from the past, because as you do business as a sole proprietor and supply your SS# to wholesalers, affiliates, and other entities that have to 1099 you, or have you fill out a W-9 you have to be identified by your SS#. Once you get your EIN/TIN and start using it to do business then you can use it on your taxes. But until then you don't have to. If the software is forcing it, then that is a bug in the software.

Sorry for the garbled rant, I understood it in my head, but as I read it, it sounds confused.

jamesray50
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
A TIN is a taxpayer identification number. An EIN is an employer identification. An EIN is a type of TIN and a SS number is a type of EIN. As I said before, I haven't used Turbo Tax but I would guess that since it is asking for an EIN, somewhere during the interview the poster answered a question that indicated that they had a business. If you have a business I suppose Turbo Tax is assuming you have an EIN. A sole proprietor does not have to have an EIN (but should IMO). The original poster should go back to the beginning and review all answers before filing. Go back and answer no for the W2, or edit it and change it to no, and then add the 1099 forms. If TT won't submit the form without an EIN, then I would get an EIN.

IADS
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
If TT won't submit the form without an EIN, then I would get an EIN.

The problem, as I tried to say before, is that you can't use an EIN after the fact for income not reported on it. A way around that is to go to the original source/clients and give them the new EIN and ask them to report on that number and not the SS# that you had previously given them. Otherwise expect an audit from the IRS. You can always try to explain it all to them... luck.

jamesray50
03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I just checked with some very knowledgeable people on my bookkeeping forum and one of them says Turbo Tax will ask for an EIN, but you can use a SS # and still file electronically. He said he was a sole proprietor and had just filed using TT and used his SS#.

IADS
03-26-2013, 10:25 PM
I just checked with some very knowledgeable people on my bookkeeping forum and one of them says Turbo Tax will ask for an EIN, but you can use a SS # and still file electronically. He said he was a sole proprietor and had just filed using TT and used his SS#.

Exactly what I said in post number 2.

jamesray50
03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Exactly what I said in post number 2.

Of course you did. :) I just wanted to let kyms know that she could file electronically in TT with a SS#.