PDA

View Full Version : Play the movie game

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dan Furman
08-03-2009, 11:37 PM
In the Good Old Summertime - Buster Keaton - The General (1926)

I took us way backwards, but I couldn't resist - I love The General. And there are enough other actors who had long (if undistinguished) careers that we can return to the present decade pretty easily.

cbscreative
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
The General - Glen Cavender - Truck Busters (1943)

Wow, Cavendar seems to have had an undistinguished career. Out of 46 movies listed for the 1940's, this was the only one where he was credited. One other was listed as "scenes deleted" while everything else was "uncredited" except for Truck Busters. The 30's listings didn't look much better. Out of 114 movies listed for that decade, I only saw 4 that weren't listed as uncredited.

His glory days must have been the 20's. Out of 58 movies, only 2 were uncredited. He did also have over 40 movies in the teens with approx 50/50 of credited and uncredited, so at least his career started about when movies did. He just didn't get much credit after the 20's for having so many movies (271 total).

I didn't see any famous names in Truck Busters, but hopefully we can get back on track for that.

Thanks for the welcome back, vangogh.

vangogh
08-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Truck Busters => Virginia Christine => The Inner Circle (1946)

Dan you do realize we're playing a game within a game where the only acceptable movies are those from the 40's. We added games within games to make it a little more challenging. I do love Buster Keaton though.

Not the most famous cast in The Inner Circle, but there should be enough to keep us on track.

I chose Virginia Christine, solely because she had two first names. I'd be lying if I said I knew who she was.

But I have now learned she had a long career as a character actress and is perhaps best known as the Mrs. Olsen, the Folgers Coffee woman. She also did an occasional extra voice on the Scooby Doo cartoons in the late 70's

She was also

a concert pianist and a trained lyric soprano. She studied dancing with Maria Bekefi and acting with the renowned professional studio coach, Helena Sorell and Michael Mark. Virginia spoke four languages, English, French, Swedish and German.

KristineS
08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
The Inner Circle - Adele Mara - Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)

Couldn't resist the John Wayne movie.

cbscreative
08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Sands of Iwo Jima - Forrest Tucker - Brimstone (1949)

I was going to choose John Wayne since I don't think this round has named him yet, but I went with Tucker just because I remember him on the short-lived Dusty's Trail TV series. If you recall, that was the one with Bob Denver after Gilligan's Island. In fact, it basically was Gilligan's Island with a western theme. It was the only series for Bob Denver after playing Gilligan, and it didn't last long. In fact, none of the GI cast did much after that show, except Jim Backus doing the voice for Mr. McGoo.

Brimstone does have a couple rather famous names to choose from. One of them is not to be confused with the creator of Garfield. He has the same name, but became best known as Jock Ewing on Dallas before his death during the series.

vangogh
08-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Brimstone => Lorna Gray => Captain America (1944)

When I hear the name Forrest Tucker I think F-Troop.

The old comic book reader in me had to choose Captain America as the movie. Lorna Gray just had a cool sounding name. Sadly this movie is not the Captain America we all know and love from the comics.

No, it's just a cheap 1940s serial using the Cap's good name. If you are a fan of the comic book, you will be greatly disappointed. They have radically changed the character. No shield, no Bucky, no fighting the Nazis, no wings on the side of his mask and most importantly: Captain America is now a District Attorney and no longer a GI.

And Lorna Gray you ask

As of mid-2001, she is one of the last surviving cast members that appeared in early "Three Stooges" shorts under Columbia Pictures.

She also worked under the names Virginia Pound (her real name) and Adrian Booth

cbscreative
08-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Captain America - Dick Purcell - Leave It to the Irish (1944)

I never watched F-Troop, but that is what Tucker was best known for. Dick Purcell died the same year as both these movies (1944). He had 4 movies listed for that year and died of a massive heart attack at only 35 years old. What a short life. But I did see 73 movies listed for his career which started in 1930.

KristineS
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Leave It To the Irish - James Dunn - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

Apparently James Dunn drank and was for a while unemployable. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was his comeback film, and he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Unfortunately, he couldn't sustain his comeback and ended up unemployed and bankrupt.

He does, however, have one lasting claim to fame:

Has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, located at 6555 Hollywood Boulevard (for contributions to Motion Pictures) and 7010 Hollywood Boulevard (for Television.)

vangogh
08-11-2009, 03:55 AM
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn => Joan Blondell => Don Juan Quilligan (1945)

I admit it. My choice of this movie was it's resemblance to Gilligan, which makes me think of the island and a three hour tour, a three hour tour. My hope is to put the song in your head all day. Ain't I cruel.

A funny quote from Joan Blondell

[on Jean Harlow] You know, she never wore underclothes and she was walking past the guys on The Public Enemy (1931) one day and James Cagney said, "How do you hold those things up?" and she said, "I ice them." And she was very serious.

cbscreative
08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Don Juan Quilligan - Thurston Hall - Brewster's Millions (1945)

If your "Gilligan" name was not enough, the movie had a Thurston Hall in it. I went with Brewster's Millions only because it had the "millionaire" theme. He was in another movie called Millionaire's in Prison too, but that didn't seem as appropriate. Maybe I should have picked it anyway because it has a cast member named Virginia Vale which rhymes with Alan Hale who played Skipper.

No, I do not have that theme song stuck in my head...nice try.

KristineS
08-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Brewster's Millions - June Havoc - Red, Hot and Blue (1949)

I had to choose June Havoc, solely because of the movie and musical Gypsy. June Havoc was Gypsy Rose Lee's sister.

"Baby" June Havoc was very unhappy over the content of her sister's musical memoir "Gypsy," which became a monstrous hit on Broadway in the 50s. The estrangement between the two lasted over a decade and only ended when Gypsy told June she was dying of cancer and wanted to make amends.

cbscreative
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Red, Hot and Blue - William Demarest - The Great McGinty (1940)

Demarest is best known to our generation as Uncle Charley on My Three Sons, but he was also famous before that for his role as The Great McGinty, which I chose as the movie. I did notice that June Hovoc was the only living cast member from Red, Hot and Blue.

KristineS
08-12-2009, 02:55 PM
The Great McGinty - Louis Jean Heydt - The Big Sleep (1946)

This is a little sad:

Although he played dozens of roles in many fine films including Gone with the Wind (1939), They Were Expendable (1945), and The Big Sleep (1946), and though his face is exceptionally familiar to viewers of that period's films, his name never quite broke through. He remained a pleasant presence in scores of films of Forties and Fifties, while continuing to work on the stage and on television. He died in 1960.

I wonder if he was just happy he was working, or bitter that he didn't make it bigger?

vangogh
08-13-2009, 01:34 AM
The Big Sleep => Humphrey Bogart => Casablanca (1942)

What a tough decision, Bogey or Bacall. Two great actors who made some truly great movies. So many choices with Bogart too, but I had to go with Casablanca in the end. One of the few DVDs I own too.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia.

Almost all of the roles that made him a star (after a decade of toiling in minor films) were roles he got because George Raft had turned them down, from High Sierra (1941), in which Bogie was first noticed as a viable box office draw, to Casablanca (1942), which made him a true international star. Ironically, after having been overshadowed by Raft the whole first half of his career, Bogart is today by far the better-known star and is considered the superior actor of the two.

KristineS
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Casablanca - Ingrid Bergman - The Bells of St. Mary's (1945)

The Bells of St. Mary's is a movie I've heard about but never seen. Sounds like the two main stars had a sense of humor

The production was overseen by a Catholic priest who served as an advisor during the shooting. While the final farewell sequence was being filmed, Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman decided to play a prank on him. They asked director Leo McCarey to allow one more take, and, as "Father O'Malley" and "Sister Benedict" said their last goodbyes, they embraced in a passionate kiss, while the offscreen priest-advisor jumped up roaring in protest.

I like this story too:

At the 1945 Academy Awards, Bing Crosby and Leo McCarey won the Best Actor and Best Director awards for Going My Way (1944). When Ingrid Bergman won the Best Actress award for her role in Gaslight (1944), she told the audience at the awards ceremony, "I'm glad I won, because tomorrow morning, I start shooting the sequel to 'Going My Way' with Bing Crosby and Leo McCarey, and I was afraid that if I didn't have an Oscar, they wouldn't speak to me."

cbscreative
08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
The Bells of St. Mary's - Bing Crosby - Duffy's Tavern (1945)

That story with the priest advisor is funny.

Since Bing Crosy's name was mentioned, why not go with that? The next player will have several choices (including famous choices) with such a huge cast. One reason I chose this movie is having just selected William Demarest, I recognized the title because he was in this too. It looks like all of Bing's kids must heve been in the movie too (at least the ones who were born before then anyway).

Dan Furman
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Duffy's Tavern - Paulette Goddard - The Ghost Breakers (1940)

As a kid, I had a crush on Goddard after seeing her in The Cat and the Canary (1939) The Ghost Breakers was a "sort-of" sequel, as it starred the same two leads (Bob Hope being the other)

Van - I didn't know we were totally staying in the 40's - I thought you guys started in the 30's and were slowly moving forward, thus figuring a dip back would be legal :) (well, as legal as the movie game can be)

KristineS
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
The Ghost Breakers - Bob Hope - Road to Rio (1947)

It's so weird, when I think of Bob Hope I tend to think of the guy with the golf club talking to soldiers somewhere. He made quite a few movies though.

Apparently there were 7 of the Hope-Crosby "Road" movies.

cbscreative
08-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Road to Rio - Patty Andrews - In the Navy (1941)

There were a lot of Andrews' in Road to Rio (3 Andrews sisters + Stanley Andrews who does not appear to be related, but is best know for Death Valley Days). I chose the only one still living (now 91). The movie of choice here has very famous names (well known comedy team) and includes one of the 3 Stooges. I found it interesting that he appears alone since they are so famous for appearing together.

On Kristine's comment above about "Road" movies, there was a time in the ancient past of this game we had a "road" subtheme going for a while. I think it was even Crosby & Hope that started us off on it.

KristineS
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
In the Navy - Dick Powell - Murder My Sweet (1944)

Apparently, Dick Powell had been signed by RKO to do musicals, but he only agreed to the contract if he could play one dramatic role. Phillip Marlowe in Murder My Sweet, was that role. I guess he did it well too

Dick Powell's portrayal of Philip Marlowe earned the approval of Raymond Chandler himself.

vangogh
08-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Murder My Sweet => Otto Kruger => Knickerbocker Holiday (1944)

Whoever goes next should have a few good names to choose from including one or two who I don't have come up in the game before.

Otto Kruger was

The grandnephew of South African pioneer and former president Paul Krüger, Otto Kruger trained for a musical career from childhood, but after enrolling in Columbia University he switched his career choice to acting.

Not everyday the actor you're watching on the big screen is related to the president of a country. Then again we've had Ronald Reagan who was both on the big screen and running the country. Guess when you think about it each job provides good experience for the other.

KristineS
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Knickerbocker Holiday - Charles Coburn - The More the Merrier (1943)

I thought maybe he was related in some way to James Coburn, but if he is, his bio doesn't list it.

vangogh
08-19-2009, 02:23 AM
The More the Merrier => Jean Arthur => The Talk of the Town (1942)

Funny when I saw you chose Charles Coburn, my first thought was to wonder if there was any relation to James Coburn.

She (Jean Arthur) was teaching at Vassar at the same time that Meryl Streep was studying there in her junior year. Upon seeing the young drama major rehearsing August Strindberg's play "Miss Julie," Arthur remarked it was "just like watching a movie star".

Here's an interesting Jean Arthur quote

I guess I became an actress because I didn't want to be myself.

cbscreative
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
The Talk of the Town - Cary Grant - I Was a Male War Bride (1949)

Catchy title for a movie, I thought. I know we used Grant's name in our 30's game, but as far as I know we have not used him for the 40's rendition. I don't know my history well enough to know why, but I didn't see any movies listed for Grant during the last 20 years of his life (1966-86). Considering his fame and career, it seems strange that he would drop off the radar for that long.

vangogh
08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I Was a Male War Bride => Ann Sheridan => The Doughgirls (1944)

Steve I found this about Cary Grant, which might explain the early retirement

He gave serious consideration to retiring in 1953, because he believed the success of Marlon Brando and Method acting meant his own kind of acting was a thing of the past. Eighteen months later he was lured back to make To Catch a Thief (1955), and therefore delayed his retirement until 1966.

Here's a bit of bio on Ann Seridan

Ann Sheridan won the "Search for Beauty" contest which carried with it a Paramount screen test. Signed to a contract at 18, she was put into a number of small roles under her real name of Clara Lou Sheridan. As she got better, her name was changed to Ann. In 1936, after two dozen films, she went to Warner Brothers, which billed her as the "Oomph Girl," a name she despised -- although she certainly looked the part. She was allowed to mature into a leading star who could be the girl next door or the tough-as-nails dame. She was in a lot of comedies and a number of forgettable movies, but the public liked her, and her career flourished.

KristineS
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
The Doughgirls - Jane Wyman - Johnny Belinda (1948)

Of course we all know Jane Wyman was Ronald Regan's first wife. Apparently he was her third husband.

But did you know this?

Jane Wyman jolds the record for the longest screen kiss, with Regis Toomey in You're in the Army Now (1941), at 3 minutes and 5 seconds.

I like this quote, it shows some class

(on her refusal to publicly discuss the political career of her ex-husband, Ronald Reagan) It's not because I'm bitter or because I don't agree with him politically. I've always been a registered Republican. But it's bad taste to talk about ex-husbands and ex-wives, that's all. Also, I don't know a damn thing about politics.

cbscreative
08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Johnny Belinda - Agnes Moorehead - Citizen Kane (1941)

Thanks for the info on Cary Grant's retirement, vangogh.

When I saw Agnes Moorehead in the credits, I immediately recognized her as Endora the mother-in-law witch on Bewitched. Then I saw she was in a very famous flick, so I went with that too. It also provides plenty of cast choices for the next player.

KristineS
08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Citizen Kane - Erskine Sanford - The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

I just had to pick Erskine Sanford. Who could resist a name like Erskine?

Apparently Erskine Sanford was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theater Company and that's how he got the role in Citizen Kane.

cbscreative
08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
The Best Years of Our Lives - Hoagy Carmichael - Johnny Angel (1945)

Well, since you couldn't resist Erskine, I thought the name Hoagy Carmichael was just as good. I can't help but wonder if this movie, Johnny Angel, inspired the song.

KristineS
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Johnny Angel - Signe Hasso - A Double Life (1947)

Another name I couldn't resist.

Apparently Miss Hasso was supposed to replace Greta Garbo who had retired in 1941. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Ms. Hasso's Hollywood career lasted about a decade and put her opposite leading men like Gary Cooper and Cary Grant. But, she never really caught on with audiences in the United States, at least not as another Garbo.

She said that her favorite screen part was as Ronald Colman's ex-wife in A Double Life (1947), a story about an actor (Colman) who identifies too closely with his roles. As Othello, he adopts the same rages as Shakespeare's jealous Moor and endangers Ms. Hasso's character, an actress who plays Desdemona. Her reaction to finding real blood on the bed during the climactic death scene of the play within the movie was memorable.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 11:14 PM
A Double Life => Shelly Winters => The Great Gatsby (1949)

Signe Hasso is a great name. No way to resist her.

I never realized Shelly Winters was in The Great Gatsby. Not that I ever saw the 1949 version of the file. Still I was surprised to see it listed for her.

Here's an interesting story about Shelly Winters

On the 6 July, 1972 episode of "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (1962), she grew tired of Oliver Reed's attitude towards women. They had a heated conversation and, after Winters told Reed what she thought of his opinions, she left the set. The show continued with Reed going on about women while Johnny Carson looked at him in a daze. Shortly afterward, Winters appeared from stage left, unannounced to Reed and to the shock of Carson. She was carrying a champagne bucket of ice and water and surprised Reed by dumping it over his head. Reed was furious over this and tried to attack her but crew members intervened. The show broke for commercial break. When it resumed, both actors were gone.

KristineS
08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
The Great Gatsby - Alan Ladd - Whispering Smith (1948)

I didn't even realize there was a Great Gatsby movie made in 1949. I knew about the later one, but not about that one.

Sounds like Alan Ladd was not a particularly happy man.

In a 1961 interview Ladd was asked, "What would you change about yourself if you could?" He replied tersely: "Everything."

cbscreative
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Whispering Smith - Frank Faylen - It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

I chose Faylen because I've seen his name several times in this 40's version and thought I would finally use it. Other than that, I really didn't know the name, only that I keep seeing it and his famous role was in the Dobie Gillis series that Bob Denver was in before he was Gilligan.

Then, after choosing Faylen, I see what is probably the most repeated movie of the 40's so I had to go with that. Besides, the lead actor's name has not been used yet that I recall (at least not for the 40's).

KristineS
08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a Wonderful Life - Donna Reed - The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

Apparently Donna Reed was not happy to be in this movie

Donna Reed didn't enjoy making this movie because she was promised the role played by Angela Lansbury.

She probably had a point. Angela Lansbury was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in this movie, although she didn't win.

cbscreative
08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Angela Lansbury - National Velvet (1944)

Well, since you mentioned Lansbury, I just went with that. My other choice could have been Peter Lawford who was certainly a colorful character. In case you're not aware, he was the last known person to see Marilyn Monroe alive and was notorious for his Hollywood parties of ill repute. I suspect he took many secrets to his grave when he died from drug and alcohol abuse. Anyway, with a famous flick like National Velvet, you have some famous names to choose from for the next play.

vangogh
09-01-2009, 12:43 AM
National Velvet => Elizabeth Taylor => A Date with Judy (1948)

So which list is longer? The movies Elizabeth Taylor made or the men she married? Ok it's the movies. She did marry more men than she had oscar nominations though.

Here's an interesting quote

Success is a great deodorant. It takes away all your past smells.

cbscreative
09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
A Date with Judy - Robert Stack - The Mortal Storm (1940)

Well, with The Untouchables, Unsoved Mysteries, and several movies, I couldn't resist using Robert Stack's name. As I think about it, this may be the first mention of him in our game. The next player has at least one very famous choice (other famous names in this cast have been used). We used the name in our 30's rendition, but not for the 40's yet that I am aware of.

Apparently, this movie was very much on target for pointing out the dangers that eventually led us into WWII, and it was released a year and a half before we entered into that war. It kind of makes me want to see it.

KristineS
09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
The Mortal Storm - Robert Young - That Forsyte Woman (1949)

Who could resist Marcus Welby, M.D.?

Apparently Robert Young was a considered bland and without sex appeal by the movie studio execs. Still, his female co-stars loved him.

Was a favorite co-star among Tinseltown's biggest female stars, including Margaret Sullavan, Joan Crawford, Janet Gaynor, Loretta Young, Norma Shearer Katharine Hepburn and Claudette Colbert, primarily because his acting was always reliable, complimentary and professional...plus the fact that he never tried to steal the spotlight.

I guess if you have to have someone consider you bland, it is better that it be your bosses than your leading ladies.

cbscreative
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
That Forsyte Woman - Errol Flynn - Edge of Darkness (1943)

Last time I brought up Peter Lawford who had a notorious reputation, but Flynn is probably moreso and his death was for the same reasons (alcohol abuse). One 1942 incident I thought you might find particularly interesting:

Purchases a Van Gogh looted by the Nazis and smuggled out of France, for $48,000.

Flynn was also a biggot who strongly hated Jews.

So the next player may find a recognizable name in the cast if you think of Clint Eastwood's mother in Every Which Way But Loose. She was much more famous for her award winning role in Rosemary's Baby.

KristineS
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Edge of Darkness - Ruth Gordon - Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

I think this quote explains why she had such a long career

If you believe, then you hang on. If you believe, it means you've got imagination, you don't need stuff thrown out on a blueprint, and don't face facts-what can stop you? If I don't make it today, I'll come in tomorrow.

She had a long career, her first acting job was in 1915 and her last in 1987. She won an Oscar at age 72.

vangogh
09-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Abe Lincoln in Illinois => Raymond Massey => The Fountainhead (1949)

I knew most of the bas stuff about Errol Flynn, but hadn't realized he bought one of my paintings. I never did see the money from the sale, though.

Kristine the quote you pulled is also a good one for all of us here.

The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books so I had to go with the movie. Plus the lead is one of my favorite actors so the movie was 2 for 2 in reasons for me choosing it.

Raymond Massey's trademark was

His portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, whom he portrayed in four different dramatic productions, all by different authors.

Where was he from?

Massey said that the British thought he was American and the Americans thought that he was British. He was actually Canadian. But his mother and paternal grandmother were both Americans and his branch of the Massey family migrated from England to Canada via the United States.

KristineS
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
The Fountainhead - Patricia Neal - The Hasty Heart (1949)

Well, either of the other movies Patricia Neal did in 1949 had a former President as a co-star, so he is available if you'd like to pick him.

cbscreative
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
The Hasty Heart - Alfie Bass - It Always Rains on Sunday (1948)

I'm pretty sure we used Reagan's name for this 40's round already, so I chose an interesting name instead. The next player may opt for another interesting name since there is an unusual name in the cast. I'm sure we'll get bck to the more famous names again.

Good luck collecting the proceeds from that sale, vangogh.

vangogh
09-14-2009, 02:21 AM
It Always Rains on Sunday => David Lines => Scott of the Antarctic (1948)

I went with David Lines since he played Alfie in the movie. He didn't make a lot of movies, but those he did make were all in the 40's. Scott of the Antarctic has at least two well know actors.

Not a lot of info about David Lines. In fact I could find anything after a bit of searching. Looks like he was a child actor and I take it he didn't grow up to call acting a career as an adult.

Steve do you think I can take the Flynn estate to court to collect the money. It was my painting after all.

KristineS
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Scott of the Antarctic - James Robertson Justice - Christopher Columbus (1949)

I just loved the name James Robertson Justice, it sounded so imposing. How could I resist?

Apparently, he was a multi-talented man. He was a PhD, a falconer, a race car driver, and a journalist.

cbscreative
09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Christopher Columbus - Fredric March - Susan and God (1940)

Looks like we're back on the air again with this thread.

Since I didn't recognize any of the names, I just went with the lead actor who play Columbus. I thought Susan and God was an interesting movie title, plus it gives the next player some famous names to choose from.

Vangogh, do you need me as a character witness for going after the Flynn estate?

KristineS
09-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Susan and God - Nigel Bruce - Julia Misbehaves (1948)

Nigel Bruce made quite a lot of movies in the 1940s. It sounds, at least from this quote, like he was a very happy man.

I am in no way a distinguished man, but if I died tomorrow, I can honestly claim to have been what few men can call themselves - a really happy one. For 26 years I have been blessed with the love and friendship of a very wonderful woman. I have two attractive and splendid daughters of whom I am very proud, and my two sons-in-law I respect and like enormously. Except for a groggy leg I have been given excellent health, and all through my life I have had the friendship of many attractive and worthwhile people, for all this I am very grateful. I have made a few enemies and for their opinions I care not a fig. I may be broke or ill again, but as long as I have Bunny beside me I shall be happy, and I can only hope that our two daughters will enjoy their lives as much as their father has enjoyed every minute of his. (1947)

cbscreative
09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Julia Misbehaves - Peter Lawford - The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)

OK, I mentioned Lawford's name before, so this time I used it. Funny the title of the movie because it could have been Peter Misbehaves. The next player will have their choice of a few famous names from The White Cliffs of Dover movie.

KristineS
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
The White Cliffs of Dover - Van Johnson - The Bride Goes Wild (1948)

He was known as the nice guy you wanted your daughter to marry. Apparently he had some very loyal friends in Hollywood too.

Stardom came, and at quite a price, for Van when he was cast yet again as a wholesome serviceman in A Guy Named Joe (1943). During the early part of filming, he was severely injured in a near-fatal car crash (he had a metal plate inserted in his skull, which instantly gave him a 4-F disqualification status for war service). Endangered of being replaced on the film, the two stars of the picture, Spencer Tracy (who became another lifelong friend) and Irene Dunne, insisted that the studio work around his convalescence or they would quit the film. The unusually kind gesture made Van a star following the film's popular release and resulting publicity.

According to some Van Johnson was also another 40's era star in the mold of Rock Hudson.

His wife, Eve, was first married to Keenan Wynn. She married Johnson on the very day of her divorce from Wynn, only four hours after that divorce was finalized. Johnson had spent more a month recuperating from his near-fatal car accident at the Wynn's home (Keenan was his best friend) during his recovery and word got back to Louis B. Mayer that sparks had flew. The film mogul saw this relationship as a way to dispel rumors circulating about Johnson's sexuality. Despite Mayer's earlier attempts at matchmaking (he'd arranged dates with Gloria DeHaven, June Allyson and even Sonja Henie without making a love connection) only Evie Wynn appealed to him. Although they were genuinely in love, Mayer cemented the deal by providing unusual career concessions for Keenan: a better contract, no standard 12-week layoffs, and better roles... all areas that would benefit her and her children. He later left her for her male tennis instructor according to her son, Ned Wynn.

vangogh
09-17-2009, 01:48 AM
The Bride Goes Wild => Hume Cronyn => The Postman Always Ring Twice (1946)

I couldn't resist a name like Hume Cronyn now could I? Didn't know he was married to Jessica Tandy so I learned something new as well.

Looks like he was better known as a stage actor and he was a pretty good one too.

Won two Tony Awards: in 1964, as Best Supporting or Featured Actor (Dramatic) for playing Polonius in Shakespeare/s "Hamlet," and, in 1994, a Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achuievement that was shared with his wife, Jessica Tandy. And he was nominated six other times: as Best Actor (Dramatic), in 1961 for: Big Fish, Little Fish" and in 1967 for Edward Albee's "A Delicate Balance;" as Best Actor (Play), in 1978 for "The Gin Game" and in 1986 for "The Petition;" as Producer (Dramatic), in 1965 as co-producer of Best Play nominee "Slow Dance on the Killing Ground;" and as co-producer in 1978 of Best Play nominee "The Gin Game."

The one rule he follows as an actor?

If you're doing the devil, look for the angel in him. If you're doing the angel, look for the devil in him.

KristineS
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
The Postman Always Rings Twice - Lana Turner - The Three Musketeers (1948)

Huh, I didn't know Gene Kelly was in The Three Musketeers. That's kind of weird as I always think of him doing musicals.

cbscreative
09-17-2009, 01:47 PM
The Three Musketeers - Vincent Price - The Keys of the Kingdom (1944)

I actually recognized Hume Cronyn's name right away and instantly put a face to it, maybe because it's so unusual. I can't remember which movie, but he and Jessica Tandy starred together shortly before she died. I could look it up, but I'm busy writing this post. I do know Cronyn was in several movies even though he obviously had quite a stage career.

Remember Vincent Price? I always think of him for those old horror movies before they became so graphic. I chose a movie with famous names if the next player wants to go with someone we'll recognize.

vangogh
09-18-2009, 01:05 AM
The Keys of the Kingdom => Roddy McDowell => Macbeth (1948)

My first memories of Vincent Price come from the 60s Batman series when he played Egghead. As I got older I knew he made a lot of horror movies like The Fly.

I had no idea Roddy McDowell started acting so young. He was 10 years old when he appeared in his first movie. I know him best from the Planet of the Apes movies, but I probably knew him first as the Bookworm on the same Batman series.

These quotes are interesting and who how much Roddy McDowell truly enjoys movies

I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great.

All you can do is make a piece of product, sell it on its own terms, stand behind it and hope that people will go see it. If you try to be like something else or appeal to any given group, then you can very easily end up being gratuitous and imitative. There's not much to be gained by that and I think too much time is spent going around trying to be like someone else.

cbscreative
09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Macbeth - Orson Welles - Tomorrow Is Forever (1946)

I can't remember for sure if we used Welles name yet, but I went with it anyway. For the next player, Tomorrow Is Forever has at least one famous name who drowned in a suspicious accident, and she does have 1940's movies even though she was born in 1938. However, there is also another actor made famous for his role in The Big Valley. Wow, he died young too, just a few days after his 47th birthday. Since the actress drowned at 43, the choices are famous people who died in their prime.

I think Roddy McDowall was best known for his Planet of the Apes role, that is certainly how I best remember him too.

vangogh
09-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Tomorrow Is Forever => Natalie Wood => Father was a Fullback (1949)

The choice in movie was in honor of football season.

Natalie Wood turned down quite a few good filmes

Turned down roles in the films Bonnie and Clyde (1967), Barefoot in the Park (1967), Goodbye, Columbus (1969), Love Story (1970), The Great Gatsby (1974) and The Mirror Crack'd (1980).

Can you imagine if she'd taken all those roles. She might not have always known a good movie, but she certainly recognized talent.

She is credited for discovering Robert Redford and Sydney Pollack.

KristineS
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Father was a Fullback - Maureen O'Hara - Buffalo Bill (1944)

Wow, Maureen O'Hara had quite a career. She worked with a lot of the greats and was in a lot of now classic movies.

I didn't know she worked with John Wayne 5 times, but I guess she did.

cbscreative
09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Buffalo Bill - Edgar Buchanan - Destroyer (1943)

You may not recognize the name so easily, but Buchanan was best known for his role as Uncle Joe on Petticoat Junction (played the same role on The Beverly Hillbillies). He also had a role in Leave it to Beaver before that. As for Destroyer, it leaves a couple of well known choices for the next player.

vangogh
09-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Destroyer => Edward G. Robinson => Key Largo (1948)

Big cast for whoever goes next.

This sums up Edward G. Robinson for me.

His stellar performance as snarling, murderous thug Rico Bandello in Little Caesar (1931)--all the more impressive since in real life Robinson was a sophisticated, cultured man with a passion for fine art--set the standard for movie gangsters, both for himself in many later films and for the industry.

Here's an interesting quote

I have not collected art. Art collected me. I never found paintings. They found me. I have never even owned a work of art. They owned me.

and another

The sitting around on the set is awful. But I always figure that's what they pay me for. The acting I do for free.

cbscreative
09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Key Largo - Lauren Bacall - The Big Sleep (1946)

I don't think we've used the beautiful Lauren Bacall in this round yet, so I went with that and picked a movie where she also co-starred with the man she married because I don't think we've used his name yet either, but we might have since he pretty much defined 40's flicks. I also noticed it was only 8 days ago Bacall celebrated her 85th birthday. Her last movie I saw listed was 2007 and based on her recent pattern of appearing about every 2 years, she might be in a new release soon.

vangogh
09-25-2009, 03:13 AM
The Big Sleep => Humphrey Bogart => To Have and Have Not (1944)

I think I went with Bogart not too long ago, but I couldn't resist. You can pick Lauren Bacall and we can probably get caught up in an infinite loop.

Here's something I didn't know about Bogart

Although Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack had a very different group of members, Bogart was the official founder and leader of the Holmby Hills Rat Pack, as he called them, comprising a group of hard-drinking buddies in Hollywood. Sinatra, a friend, was a member and, when Bogart died in 1957, borrowed the title for his own Rat Pack, which (of course) had Sinatra as their Chairman.

You and I might have to carry the game for a few days. Kristine is out of town for work and probably not near an internet connection as often as usual and our sometimes player Dan is also on vacation I believe.

cbscreative
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
To Have and Have Not - Sheldon Leonard - Zombies on Broadway (1945)

I will opt to not put us in a perpetual loop. I know nothing about Sheldon Leonard, but I thought a 1940's zombie movie sounded interesting. I don't see a huge cast, but one of them apparently made his fame as Dracula.

vangogh
09-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Zombies on Broadway => Bela Lugosi => Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Thank you for keep us out of the infinite loop. For some reason I think I chose Bela Lugosi before and used the same Abbott and Costello movie after choosing him. I used to watch their movies every Sunday morning as a kid and couldn't resist. Perhaps I'm caught in a loop of my own.

We can easily stay inside Abbot and Costello movies for awhile, but enough actors appeared in their films that we should be able to easily find our way out too.

We all know Lugosi for playing Dracula and while the role probably made him famous it was also a curse for him.

A distinguished stage actor in his native Hungary, he ended up a drug-addicted pauper in Hollywood, thanks largely to typecasting brought about by his most famous role.

He ended his career working for the legendary Worst Director of All Time, Edward D. Wood Jr.. He was buried in his Dracula cape.

cbscreative
10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein - Glenn Strange - The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (1947)

OK, with a Frankenstein flick, I couldn't resist a name like Glenn Strange. Also, it keeps us in our loop because it's another Abbott & Costello movie. I remember we hit on A&C before, but I don't think they were chosen yet, so as I recall, they are still fair game. As for your recollection that you may have already used Lugosi and this same movie before, I don't remember it, but we've gone so many rounds it's hard to keep track. It could be you thought about it and didn't actually use it. I know I have trouble sorting out the difference sometimes.

vangogh
10-03-2009, 03:00 AM
The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap => Audrey Young => Easy Living (1949)

And a perfect name to take us out of the monster genre. Glenn Strange would have been a hard name to resist. Easy Living leads us to a couple of well known names who don't come up all that often in the game.

I probably did pick Lugosi, but after...what is it? 4 years? It's hard not to duplicate actors and movies even if we have limited ourselves to a couple of decades for the last year or so.

Not a lot of information about Audrey Young. She was married to director Billy Wilder and served as costume consultant on several of his big movies, including Some Like it Hot. She's listed as uncredited in most of the movies she appeared in so I take it she was less of an actress and more a part of the Hollywood community. Perhaps she was building a career as an actress before her marriage or perhaps it was her marriage that kept her working in Hollywood.

cbscreative
10-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Easy Living - Jim Backus - The Great Lover (1949)

I know it's been quite a while since we used Lucille Ball, but I chose Jim Backus because I don't think we've ever used his name yet. We used an actor named Thurston Hall a couple of times, but not Jim Backus who was famous for Thurston Howell III on Gilligan's Island. He only had three flicks in the 40's to choose from, all in 1949.

The Great Lover had one very famous cast member who died back in 2003 at age 100. Of course if you choose him, it will easily bring up Lucille Ball's name again. There are other famous names, just not as famous. I noticed one who was known for playing the first TV Superman, and ironically, his last name was very close to Christopher Reeve's last name. That gives you a few choices for the next pick.

Wow, when you think about it, we have been playing about 3 years now. This game began shortly after I started the thread of your one year anniversary on the old forum. That was Dec 06. We've had it going here for over a year, and we began our 1930's theme before we even moved here (only recently advancing to the 40's) so we spent over a year just in the 30's. Even before going to the 40's we were still finding famous names that had not been used yet. Now the problem is keeping it all straight.

vangogh
10-07-2009, 12:17 AM
The Great Lover => Gary Gray => The Girl from Jones Beach (1949)

The millionaire and his wife...

I couldn't resist Gary Gray, especially since I first read his name as Gary Gary. And I figure I could have met the girl from Jones Beach, since I grew up just a few minutes away from there.

We have a president, who's name I think has come up at some point waiting for the next in line. He's not the only cast member to choose, of course.

Gary Gray was a child actor and

Like many former child actors, he found it tougher to land roles as he grew older. He successfully transitioned himself into a long career in the swimming pool business while still an actor.

Transitioning from Hollywood to swimming pools I wonder what that was like?

cbscreative
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
The Girl from Jones Beach - Dona Drake - Beyond the Forest (1949)

OK, if you can choose Gary Gray, I can choose Done Drake, and you can keep the subtheme going with Beyond the Forest too. It's been a long time since we used this subtheme. I don't remember if it was in our 30's game or before that. Without the subtheme, you have one famous choice.

KristineS
10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Beyond the Forest - Ruth Roman - Champion (1949)

Are we back to the double initial thing again? If we are, there is an option for the next player. There's also a rather famous actor I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

I guess she had a small part in history

She and her son Richard "Dickie" Hall, were first-class passengers aboard the Andrea Doria when the ship collided with the Stockholm and sank in 1956. They were among almost 1,700 saved in the sinking. Roman and her son were separated during the rescue. She arrived in New York first and waited for him, surrounded by news photographers and reporters. She was on the pier to greet him when he arrived when the rescue ship arrived in New York the next day.

vangogh
10-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Champion => Marilyn Maxwell => Ziegfeld Follies (1945)

I went with the double letter just in case you want to continue. You'll have to dig into the uncredited people in Ziegfeld Follies to keep it going, but you can. If you don't want to then you'll have a very large cast of very famous people to choose from.

Marilyn Maxwell's scenes were deleted from the final movie, but she's still listed in the credits. She was

Tall and blonde with good looks and a pleasant singing voice, she scampered through a bunch of breezy, forgettable film roles. Her style was once described as part Joan Blondell's "Good Joe" and part Mae West's vamp.

cbscreative
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Ziegfeld Follies - Cyd Charisse - The Harvey Girls (1946)

The subtheme can continue, and the actress who qualifies has a lot of 40's flicks. Apparently, Charisse had a tough time getting known, always being overshadowed by other cast members who became famous. But her dancing skills were extraordinary. Her last name was borrowed from her first marriage which was short, but she kept the name. Her second marriage was more successful:

In 1948, after a fling with playboy Howard Hughes, she married then-superstar singer Tony Martin, and in the 1960s and '70s she and Martin had a popular nightclub act. They co-authored their joint autobiography, The Two of Us, in 1976, and co-starred in a schmaltzy TV movie, Sentimental Journey, in 1984. Charisse and Martin were married more than sixty years.

She died just over a year ago in June 08 at the age of 86.

cbscreative
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Ziegfeld Follies - Cyd Charisse - The Harvey Girls (1946)

The subtheme can continue, and the actress who qualifies has a lot of 40's flicks. Apparently, Charisse had a tough time getting known, always being overshadowed by other cast members who became famous. But her dancing skills were extraordinary. Her last name was borrowed from her first marriage which was short, but she kept the name. Her second marriage was more successful:

In 1948, after a fling with playboy Howard Hughes, she married then-superstar singer Tony Martin, and in the 1960s and '70s she and Martin had a popular nightclub act. They co-authored their joint autobiography, The Two of Us, in 1976, and co-starred in a schmaltzy TV movie, Sentimental Journey, in 1984. Charisse and Martin were married more than sixty years.

She died just over a year ago in June 08 at the age of 86.

KristineS
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
The Harvey Girls - Marjorie Main - Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

I loved Cyd Charisse. She was in Singing in the Rain and a lot of the other old musicals that I loved. Come to think of it though, she was rarely the headline star.

I also love Meet Me In St. Louis. Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas has got to be one of the most beautifully shot musical numbers on film.

vangogh
10-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Meet Me In St. Louis => Mary Astor => The Maltese Falcon (1941)

I'm pretty sure I've gone with The Maltese Falcon before, but it's a great movie and worth considering more than once. And it has a decent sized cast for whoever plays next. It was also Mary Astor's crowning role so it all ties together nicely.

Mary Astor was pushed into movies by her father. First he entered her in a beauty contest at the age of 14 and the year after it was the movies. This quote from her is somewhat telling.

I was never totally involved in movies. I was just making my father's dream come true.

So is this one

There are five stages in the life of an actor: Who's Mary Astor? Get me Mary Astor. Get me a Mary Astor Type. Get me a young Mary Astor. Who's Mary Astor?

And on a completely different topic perhaps

Once you start asking questions, innocence is gone.

cbscreative
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
The Maltese Falcon - Ward Bond - Swamp Water (1941)

I think you're right that we used The Maltese Falcon before, but it was in the 30's version of the game and we were both surprised that there was a movie of the same title made in the early 30's. I don't think we used this version yet.

There are somewhat famous names in Swamp Water though they may have been used before (I know at least one of them was, the one who was the father of a recently deceased actor found hung in his hotel room this year).

vangogh
10-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Swamp Water => Walter Huston => The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)

Guess I'm on a Bogart run with the movie choices. Swamp Water is a cool title for a movie by the way.

You might be right about The Maltese Falcon. Maybe I did pick the Bogart version the first time it came up. Who knows after all these years. I'm surprised you still remember after all the posts and time.

I guess Huston is part of a royal Hollywood family

There are three generations of Oscar winners in the Huston family: Walter, his son John Huston and his granddaughter Anjelica Huston. They are the first family to do so, the second family were the Coppolas - Francis Ford Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Nicolas Cage and Carmine Coppola.

His son John Huston wrote and directed The Treasure of Sierra Madre for which Walter won an academy award. On accepting he said

Many years ago . . . many, MANY years ago [laughter from the audience] I brought up a boy, and I said to him, "Son, if you ever become a writer, try to write a good part for your old man sometime". Well, by cracky, that's what he did!

cbscreative
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
The Treasure of Sierra Madre - Bruce Bennett - Nora Prentiss (1947)

I could have easily sent us into a loop with this actor since so many of the same names appear in other 40's films he was in. This one offers more options including the father of a well known actor on M*A*S*H, and you can easily see the resemblance.

I thought this was interesting:

Bruce Bennett was Edgar Rice Burroughs' choice to play Tarzan. He appeared in more than a hundred films, dating back to the early years of talkies. For much of his career, he was credited under his birth name, Herman Brix, and he won a silver medal in the Los Angeles Olympics of 1932.

After college, Brix came to Los Angeles, where he worked behind the scenes in silent films but yearned to be in front of the camera. He auditioned for MGM's big budget Tarzan the Ape Man, and was considered a frontrunner for the role, but lost the part after suffering a shoulder separation while playing a football player in another film, Touchdown. It was a lucky break for Johnny Weissmuller, but Burroughs, Tarzan's creator, did not like the changes MGM made to his plot and characters, and decided to produce Tarzan serials himself. When he did, he chose Brix for the role.

In those days, the studios used action-packed cliffhanging serials to lure audiences to the movies, with a new episode every week running before the feature film. Brix became a star in these serials, starting with The New Adventures of Tarzan. His performance as Tarzan remains the only film presentation that was generally true to Burroughs' novels, with the Ape Man portrayed as the sophisticated English nobleman the author envisioned, and speaking in full, flourished sentences, not monosyllabic grunts. The Tarzan serials, later repackaged as feature films, were very popular in foreign markets, but their distribution in America was suppressed by MGM, which was still producing Weismuller Tarzan films.

Bennett lived to just a few months before his 99th birthday, dying in Feb 2007, and his death was not even from old age. He died from complications after a fall where he broke his hip (a common problem with broken hips in the elderly).

KristineS
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Nora Prentiss - Robert Alda - Rhapsody in Blue (1945)

Apparently Robert Alda was pretty big on Broadway. He won a Tony for Guys and Dolls in 1951. Of course, he's probably better known now as the father of Alan Alda.

vangogh
10-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Rhapsody in Blue => Charles Coburn => Edison, the Man (1940)

Interesting Steve. It's hard to picture Tarzan as a sophisticated English nobleman. I never read any of the original novels. Was Tarzan born and raised in England? If not how exactly does he become a sophisticated English Nobleman? Makes me want to read one and find out.

Some interesting trivia about Charles Coburn

One of the few Hollywood actors who actually lived on Hollywood Blvd.

His famous monocle was no affectation, but actually corrected an eye deficiency. "No point having two window panes where one will do," was always his explanation.

KristineS
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Edison, the Man - Spencer Tracy - Adam's Rib (1949)

Couldn't resist Spencer Tracy. Also couldn't resist one of the comedies he made with Katherine Hepburn. So funny.

cbscreative
10-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Adam's Rib - Katharine Hepburn - Undercurrent (1946)

Since I don't think we used Katharine Hepburn's name yet, I took the obvious choice. There is a very famous actor in Undercurrent with lots of 40's flicks to his credit.

I never read any of the Tarzan books either, so I found that info interesting.

vangogh
10-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Undercurrent => Robert Mitchum => Rachel and the Stranger (1948)

Wow, Robert Mitchum made a lot of movies during the 40's. 40 of them actually, which seems fitting. And in the middle of the decade he served in the military during WWII

Briefly served in the US Army during World War II, with service number 39 744 068, from April 12 to October 11, 1945

Here's something interesting

Though respectful of Robert De Niro's talent, Mitchum was amused by the young Method actor's habit of remaining in character all day as film studio chief Monroe Stahr during the filming of The Last Tycoon (1976). Mitchum gave De Niro the nickname "Kid Monroe", and made many jokes about him with the older actors on the set like Ray Milland and Dana Andrews.

cbscreative
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Rachel and the Stranger - William Holden - The Dark Past (1948)

OK, I have officially forgotten this game for a few days, but, here we go. Many of the movies with Wm Holden had either names I did not recognize, or ones that I know we've used (some recently). I found this one, and if you want to go with a more famous choice, Grandma Walton was in the cast of The Dark Past.

vangogh
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
The Dark Past => Lee J. Cobb => Men of Boys Town (1940)

I sure took my time in taking my turn, didn't I? You have a a couple of very big names to choose from in Men of Boys Town. Great movie too. Been awhile since I've seen it.

Lee J. Cobb's career was apparently affected by politics. His most famous role was Willy Loman in the Broadway version of Death of a Salesman. Arthur Miller created the character specifically for him. Then

Arthur Miller offered him the lead role of Eddie Carbone in his Broadway play "A View from the Bridge." While an outsider might think that the politically progressive Miller would be hostile to the actor due to Cobb's friendly testimony before the infamous House Un-American Activities Committee, during which he "named names," Miller thought Cobb would be ideal for the role. Himself a target of the witch hunt for alleged Communists undertaken by the government, Miller believed that Cobb would bring real intensity to Carbone, who informs on his relatives to the immigration service, as he himself had been an informer. Cobb turned down the role, as he believed that to accept it would open him up to retaliation from the reactionary right and jeopardize his career.

HUAC affected quite a few careers.

KristineS
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Men of Boys Town - Mickey Rooney - National Velvet (1944)

Here's some interesting trivia about Mickey Rooney

With movie appearances stretching from 1926 to 2007, totaling 81 years, his is the longest career in cinema history, surpassing that of Lillian Gish.

As of 2007, he is the only surviving screen actor to appear in silent films and still continue to act in movies into the 21st century. His film debut was in the movie Not to Be Trusted (1926) in 1926 at the age of four.

cbscreative
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
National Velvet - Elizabeth Taylor - Lassie Come Home (1943)

There's a few of the same cast members from both Lassie Come Home and Nat'l Velvet, plus a certain ape character who's already been used recently, but I think there are some good choices in the mix for the next player. I think we may have used Liz Taylor's name not too long ago too, but I went with it anyway because I wasn't sure. It might have only been mentioned and not used. We certainly do that often enough too.

I will say that Mickey Roony has had an amazingly long and interesting career for sure.

KristineS
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Lassie Come Home - Elsa Lanchester - The Secret Garden (1949)

Of course Lanchester is best known for her role as the Bride of Frankenstein. Apparently the role wasn't all that much fun for her.

Indeed, it was no honeymoon for her. For some ten days, Lanchester was wrapped in yards of bandage and covered in heavy makeup. The stand-on-end hairdo was accomplished by combing it over a wire mesh cage. Lanchester was in real agony with her eyes kept taped wide open for long takes - and it showed in her looks of horror. Her monster's screaming and hissing sounds (based on the sounds of Regents Park swans in London) were taped and then run backward to spook-up the effect. She was delightfully melodramatic and picturesque as Wollstonecraft, and her bride would become iconic. Many have considered Bride of Frankenstein (1935) the best of the golden age horror movies.

vangogh
11-19-2009, 03:08 AM
The Secret Garden => Dean Stockwell => The Boy with Green Hair (1948)

I didn't realize Dean Stockwell was acting in the 40's. Most things I've seen him in have been much later. I couldn't resist green haired punk boy from the 40s either.

Stockwell is an accomplished artist. He creates both digitally enhanced photographs and original collages in the style of his friend and fellow artist, Wallace Berman. He is also a friend of musician Neil Young and designed the album cover art for "American Stars'n'Bars".

He gave Neil Young the inspiration for the title of his 1970 album, "After The Gold Rush".

I guess Dean Stockwell is multi-talented.

KristineS
11-19-2009, 12:40 PM
The Boy with Green Hair - Barbara Hale - And Baby Makes Three (1949)

Barbara Hale is best known, of course, for the Perry Mason movies and television series.

vangogh
11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
And Baby Makes Three => Robert Young => The Canterville Ghost (1944)

Father knows best and he told be to choose him. I assume that's Robert Young's most famous role. Then again maybe it's Marcus Welby. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

This isn't exactly something you hear every day about actors

His movie career consisted of playing characters who were charming, good-looking--and bland. In fact, his screen image was such that he usually never got the girl. Louis B. Mayer would say, "He has no sex appeal," but he had a work ethic that prepared him for every role that he played.

Of course it does explain his success with at least one television show

In 1949, Robert started a radio show called "Father Knows Best" wherein he played Jim Anderson, an average father with average situations--a role which was tailor-made for him.

KristineS
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
The Canterville Ghost - Charles Laughton - The Girl from Manhattan (1948)

Had to pick Charles Laughton because he was married to Else Lanchester who I used a turn or two ago. I liked the symmetry.