PDA

View Full Version : Trying to open a clothing store but need to know how to get my inventory...?

CharlieBoy
07-30-2013, 01:17 PM
So the details are: I am trying to get inventory for my store (shirts, pants, button-ups etc) from name brands like RVCA, OBEY, Diamond, Crooks and Castles... etc... I've reach out to them and they all have the same process, which I already knew, to submit an application to be an authorized retailer: Name of business, location, etc...
But the issue is, I havent opened up a store yet, obviously because I dont have any inventory. And I dont want to lease a place yet w/o inventory - but i can't apply with these companies till I have a name, a location etc... And I'm not going to open doors with hopes of being my application being approved or worse NOT being approved...
So what do I do???

It's like the chicken and egg dilemma!

Harold Mansfield
07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
It's not really chicken/egg. It's business. You have to have a location, store, and license before anyone will ship anything to you.

I come from years in the bar/ restaurant/nightclub industry and it's the same way.
You can't order liquor until you have a liquor license.
You can't apply for a liquor license until you have a location and it has been inspected, and you pass.

I've known bar owners who waited 10 months for their gaming license...paying rent, utilities, and so on, the whole time.
There are no guarantees, and you can't move forward until you do it.

Most people have a lawyer or consultant that specializes in the industry that can guide them properly to help insure that they don't make any disqualifying or expensive mistakes. You can waste a lot of money winging it.

Opening a location in any business is expensive.

CharlieBoy
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Ah, true- I guess that is business indeed. I agree, seems it can get pricey trying to open doors w/o inventory. The liquor license game seems even worse.
I guess the only other manner to aquire my inventory is going to a fashion distric and buying in bulk from others from possibly over stock purchases and previous season's fashions...

Thanks for the input!

Harold Mansfield
07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Ah, true- I guess that is business indeed. I agree, seems it can get pricey trying to open doors w/o inventory. The liquor license game seems even worse.
I guess the only other manner to aquire my inventory is going to a fashion distric and buying in bulk from others from possibly over stock purchases and previous season's fashions...

Thanks for the input!

That's actually a pretty good idea. You may want to contact some local vendors and designers in your area directly, that are looking for shops to sell in as well.
Doing those things you can probably at least know that you will have some inventory when you open while you are arranging to carry more stuff.

CharlieBoy
07-30-2013, 02:22 PM
That's actually a pretty good idea. You may want to contact some local vendors and designers in your area directly, that are looking for shops to sell in as well.
Doing those things you can probably at least know that you will have some inventory when you open while you are arranging to carry more stuff.

I defntly have to venture out to CA. I am planning to open my business in thge midewest are - Sprewcifically Chicago and there really isnt a "fashion distric" here. People are defntly into fashion here! But the market for fashion here does not exist.

Thanks again!!

Wozcreative
08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds like your going for trendy brands catered towards the urban/graffiti/hipster lifestyle. Why not hit up some local up and coming fashion designers and start selling those? These guys will be more willing to sell their products in stores that would carry them to get their brand out there.