PDA

View Full Version : What skills should I gain before starting a staffing agency?

msaelim
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
I have an opportunity to work for a staffing agency as an HR Administrative Assistant. I'll be working on recruiting, interviews, payroll, unemployment, policies, and all kinds of records. I think that if I get this job it'll be a great opportunity if I ever want to start a staffing agency one day. Of course, over time I may feel differently but it's fun to dream for right now as I gain more experience.

I've always been interested in the administration/HR type roles. I come from a family of business owners. My parents own an Asian grocery store for over 30+ years, my uncle a successful Thai restaurant considered the best in the city, my sister and her day care and soon nail-shop, etc. So being around entrepreneurs is getting the best of me. I am fortunate to be around successful business owners that may be able to give me advice and help start one day. I help out at my family business so I have some insight on how a business runs but of course it could be entirely different.

As of right now I am just dreaming and seeing what skills I should really get in order to start it in the long term future. I feel like networking should be something I could work on starting soon too. Either way networking whether I work for someone else or not is always good.

nealrm
07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
I suggest you concentrate on making sure you have the correct skills to be a HR Administrative Assistant. The experience there will help you to know what other skills might be necessary.

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2013, 06:19 PM
I have a buddy that does simular work and kicking around the idea of going out on his own. He's confident that the connections he's made over the years will get him started with clients in hand when he does...something I didn't have when I started out.

So based on what he's told me, I'd say networking and insuring that you build solid relationships with people along the way is going to come in handy one day. Of course you have to do a great job too.

The only thing that really prepares you for running your own business, is running someone elses. And even then, it still takes guts, hard work, and the willingness to take risks, and sacrifice. You can't really learn that anywhere. That's in your heart.

carloborja
08-01-2013, 06:12 AM
I suggest you concentrate on making sure you have the correct skills to be a HR Administrative Assistant. The experience there will help you to know what other skills might be necessary.

I definitely agree with this. I was about to say that you will be learning the skills needed in the company you will be in (given that they provide the adequate training and environment for you to exercise your skills).

I'd like to touch on Harold's point on networking. You definitely have to build relationships with everyone you meet along the way. As they say, it's the 'weak' ties (meaning the extended friends, acquaintances, friends of friends) that usually give you the best opportunities out there.

msaelim
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you very much everyone.

I figure I'd start networking now. My older sister said its important and helps you find jobs easily. Anyways she keepy bugging me so I finally joined a young professional network club and I'm attending my first even Ina. Couple weeks. It's just a dinner but they sometimes have baseball game, beer, and other events.

I have no idea what I'm doing lol it's not fun going to an event where you know no one but I guess I have to start somewhere. If you have any advice in networking let me know.

PayForWords
08-05-2013, 01:30 AM
The answers here thus far are basically what I would have recommended. Other than that...

See if you like it first. It is a VERY busy job especially if you go into business for yourself but...

You don't make money unless your clients do so it is extra motivation.

Either way, good luck!

msaelim
08-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Out of curiosity,

would it be okay if in the next couple of years if I no longer worked for a staffing agency but still worked in the same field of dealing with employees (payroll, benefits, workers comp, etc.)??

Would that still be okay and relative to starting my own one day?

Harold Mansfield
08-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Out of curiosity,

would it be okay if in the next couple of years if I no longer worked for a staffing agency but still worked in the same field of dealing with employees (payroll, benefits, workers comp, etc.)??

All of the knowledge and experience that you can gain will be helpful.

I do Websites and Digital Marketing, but the most helpful business relationship skills came from working as a Bartender, and Limo Driver...dealing with "business types" and keeping customers happy and coming back as repeat clients. Then I had clients that called me and only me for my services when ever they came to town (many times on business), today I have clients that call me and only me when anything web comes up.

Also the time I spent working in a telemarketing phone room. I learned more about sales, speaking on the phone and closing clients at that job than I ever would have learned by just reading books. My phone skills were deplorable before that. Now I'm totally comfortable on the phone and it is how I close 99.9% of all sales.

Niether of those things has anything to do with the web, but the skills that I learned have been invaluable to running my business.

msaelim
08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
That's very insightful. Thanks!

PayForWords
08-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Out of curiosity,

Most definitely. That's all stuff you'd have to know when operating a staffing agency anyways (unless you hire someone else to know).

It'll save you money and make your job easier.

If anything, I think the best thing you can do is learn how to connect with clients.

msaelim
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Most definitely. That's all stuff you'd have to know when operating a staffing agency anyways (unless you hire someone else to know).

It'll save you money and make your job easier.

If anything, I think the best thing you can do is learn how to connect with clients.

Thanks, that's reassuring. This job that I might get offered is 40-50 minutes away which will suck...but I think it's important for me to get my foot in the door some where because I'm having a hard time. Not looking to move to that area either since it's considered "rich" snobby land and definitely can't afford their taxes. My first networking event is this week so that's my first step in trying to make "connections".

PayForWords
08-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks, that's reassuring. This job that I might get offered is 40-50 minutes away which will suck...but I think it's important for me to get my foot in the door some where because I'm having a hard time. Not looking to move to that area either since it's considered "rich" snobby land and definitely can't afford their taxes. My first networking event is this week so that's my first step in trying to make "connections".

I've definitely been in that boat before. I've had a job which consisted of a 60 mile drive each way, 5 days a week.

Was well worth it at the time though. Load up your iPod, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy the drive.

Just keep in mind that it is working towards something.

Sjfine
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Having owned an employment agency through a national franchise I can tell you it is a balancing act. Basic business skills are of course paramount, along with management skills.
The key to this type of business is the balance of finding potential workers and finding the companies that need workers and the two happening at the same time. If you have one and not the other - they walk, find another agency that can provide the staff or find another agency that can provide the jobs.
Upfront money for meeting payroll is also crucial. Your employees need to be paid weekly whether or not your clients have paid their bill.
So you need to be good with business networking and then relating to individuals.
Depending on the focus - labor, office workers, techies - your work comp costs can be a heavy burden
all said - it is a great business!!

BIZDEV
08-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I was about to reply similarly to what Sjfine commented.

If your long term goal is to OWN a temp agency you need to learn sales and marketing. Having an HR background would be helpful, but as a business owner your main goal is to drum up business by finding client businesses. Getting applicants in the door is the "easy" part.

You will also need to know how to run a business and handle your own employees. You'll need strong financial skills.

And of course you'll need quite a lot of money to open such a business. The expenses are enormous; not the least of which is the high cost of insurance. Workman's comp coverage is incredibly high to cover all the employees working at various companies.

Working at a temp agency will give you a better overview of the industry, so you should try to get a job there first. You will learn first hand how stressful the industry is. Keeping clients happy is a never ending battle.

Emiliano
08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Well the only factor that really makes, you for running your own company is running someone else. And even then it still requires courage effort, and the desire to take threats and compromise. You can't really understand, that anywhere.