PDA

View Full Version : Phone System/Phone provider - Cheaper alternatives

mkowalski
08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Hello,

We are currently paying $270.00/mo with Verizon, and I wanted to check-in to see if anyone has suggestions for cheaper alternatives. With Verizon we have:

2 - standard telephone lines
1 - toll free 1800 line
1 - fax line

We have an ancient Samsung box that handles voice-mail, (3) extensions, greetings, etc. I know the telephone industry has evolved a lot since then, this system cost around $3,000 originally. We don't get that many phone calls, or stay on the phone very long, as most of our business has transitioned online/orders by e-mail. So with that being said, what are our options?

We have thought about Comcast Business, but generally speaking, I think prices are high across the board here in Boston. Are there any providers who could provide substantially lower prices? Alternatively, could VOIP be the better solution? What are people paying monthly for business VOIP, and could it facilitate all our needs (2 lines, 1 toll free, 1 fax, and a system to handle voice-mail, extensions, and greetings)?

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions,
Thank you
Michael

nealrm
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
We use VOIP right now and it works. Vonage offers what you are requesting. Depending on the plan select, cost should be around $100 to $150. Make sure that your internet server can handle the extra load. If you have a basic plan, you may need to upgrade to improve sound quality.

Harold Mansfield
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
You can also check out Virtual Phone System: Grasshopper | Manage Your Calls Online (http://grasshopper.com/)

MyITGuy
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
A few questions for you first:

How many physical phones do you have?
Approximately how many minutes do you use per month?
Do you need a physical fax machine, or can you work with electronic faxes (Scanning, then sending via software)

Your answers will have an impact on any recommendations I would make...but in either case you should definitely be paying less than $270/month...unless that price includes your internet connection as well?