PDA

View Full Version : Registering a business in NJ for 1 person - Single Member LLC ? Something else ?

LiveAlive
08-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Greetings all;

I have worked as a consultant for other companies in the past. I was debating registering a company, whether I get any business or clients is unknown, but I want to register with a certain name.
Me and my wife are both US citizens and NJ residents, we file a joint return in NJ.
My wife could be part of this, although she does not have any knowledge of my industry (Information Technology, Governance, Risk, and Compliance).
I met with the small business administration person and she told me to register as an LLC. However, I did some reading and seem to gather a single member LLC is a "disregarded entity" by the IRS.

We have several options in NJ - as follows

LLC (SIngle member only - any value to doing this ?)
NJ Domentic Profit Corp - DP
NJ Domestic Professional Corp (PA) (don't think this is a fit, we do IT compliance, not medical, etc.)
Limited Partnership (the only partner could be my wife, but we prefer she is not, except for being a woman owned business, and for getting her insurance)
Limited Liability Partnership

Here are some requirements.

#1 - I want my personal assets protected.
#2 - I may or may not get clients / business. If I find a job, then the newly registered company just sits there, with no income and minimal expenses.
#3 - If my COBRA health insurance runs out, I would like my me and my wife to get medical insurance - we could do this as individuals or through the company. Ideally speaking, my wife does not want to be in the business, but depends on advice given.
#4 - If possible, we would like to keep the accounting and taxes for the business separate, which may not happen with LLC being a disregarded entity, unless, in NJ it does not matter ?

The accountant wants 250/hour - which I can't afford to pay, so here we are. If anyone provided advice, I appreciate it, my only request is, if you are not sure of something, please be clear - so I don't take off in the wrong direction.

Thanks all.

vangogh
08-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Welcome to the forum LiveAlive. This isn't my area of expertise, but I'll offer some thoughts in order to keep your thread active.

If you want to protect personal assets you want to form some kind of corporation. An LLC will probably be easiest to form, but know that it doesn't protect everything. It is limited liability. I'm not sure about this, but I think with most corporations you're going to have to do things like pay yourself a reasonable salary and you're going to have to pay taxes so if there might not be any clients and thus no revenue, I don't think those make sense. The least expensive way to go is a partnership or a sole proprietor if you decide not to include your wife in the ownership of the company. Neither offers protection for personal property, but if you have no clients, that really isn't an issue.

Hopefully someone else who knows more about this will chime in behind me.

LiveAlive
08-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Thank you vangogh -

https://origin.bankrate.com/brm/news/biz/Biz_ops/20000831.asp

answered most of the questions I had.

Appreciate your time and kindness.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

vangogh
08-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but glad you were able to get the answers you needed. Keep an eye on this thread. We have a few members here who do know this stuff very well. They just aren't necessarily here every day. I'm sure before long one or more will see the thread and have some good information to add.