PDA

View Full Version : Planing to start a business as LLC single owner.

raj5172
08-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I am planning to start a convenience store business in SC as LLC single owner. My visa status is H1 which says that i can able to invest in business but i cant able to work for that entity. SO i am planning to hire some employee to run my day to day business.But my problem is , i cant able to sign on my checks because i cant able to work for my entity . Can any body please suggest what can i do for signing the checks. If possible i am planning to keep my partner from india .who leave in india. can he run the business from india like signing the checks. is that is a problem if he send blank checks from india.

Freelancier
08-26-2013, 12:19 PM
You can't. What the law is telling you is that you can be a passive investor in someone else's business, but with that visa designation, you cannot own a business. Or hire anyone. Or file for business licenses.

If you want to change your visa designation, work with INS to see how to get into the "citizenship track", which should allow you to own and operate a business.

raj5172
08-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I heard that investing in the business as a single owner or with other GC members i one and the same i think.Because i am not doing any work for the entity .

Freelancier
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Because i am not doing any work for the entity .

If you're hiring other people to do the work, then you are indeed working for the entity. A single-owner LLC is still YOU. It's just a liability shield, but the IRS and pretty much anyone else will look at it and say "this is you owning this business." There's no way around that. If you have someone else with majority ownership and they run the business and you just take profits or dividends, that's a different scenario.

videogamesrock
11-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I am planning to start a convenience store business in SC as LLC single owner. My visa status is H1 which says that i can able to invest in business but i cant able to work for that entity. SO i am planning to hire some employee to run my day to day business.But my problem is , i cant able to sign on my checks because i cant able to work for my entity . Can any body please suggest what can i do for signing the checks. If possible i am planning to keep my partner from india .who leave in india. can he run the business from india like signing the checks. is that is a problem if he send blank checks from india.

Means you can't b a w2 employee. So get an itinand ein for llc and enjoy business ownership. Very easy work around.