PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Hoover's Subscription for Sales Prospecting

Enterprise Technology
08-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Hello,

I just started as an outside sales rep, handling the South Florida market for a company with about 15 employees, 5 of which are salespeople.

We sell GPS fleet management software and hardware to SMB companies that want to track their vehicles and equipment.

Previous to this job, I had an outside sales position for a large wireless telco and sold from from a portfolio of about 300 vendors. At this company, I had access to a Hoover's subscription, as well as an internally developed CRM and funnel management system that got its sales prospecting data from D&B.

At my new company, sales reps have been using the Yellow Pages for some leads, but mainly just drive around through their assigned territories in search of businesses and prospect face to face with what they find.

I feel that I can be a ton more productive (both by foot and with teleprospecting) with the types of tools mentioned above.

I just got off the phone with Hoover's, and for the type of subscription that can filter companies by NAICS and SIC codes within a list of target zip codes, it will run $250-$300 per month.

I doubt my company will be willing to spend this much and I may be on my own to pay for anything that I come up with.

Does anyone have thoughts/advice on an alternative to a Hoover's subscription? My main objective is to take a particular zip code (or list of them), and come up with a prospecting list of companies that fit my criteria (ie: mechanical contractors, couriers, limos...etc) and then export this list to Excel.

Thank you for your help!

-ET

Brian Altenhofel
08-28-2013, 09:00 PM
it will run $250-$300 per month.

I doubt my company will be willing to spend this much

Why not?

Would a conservative estimate of increased sales not yield a positive ROI?

Enterprise Technology
08-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Why not?

Would a conservative estimate of increased sales not yield a positive ROI?

Were I the business owner, I couldn't agree more. I don't know if I will be able to convince him, but certainly will try.

Even if I am able to make the case for Hoover's or Manta, I want to show that I did some research first so that I can position my choice as the best.

-ET

Patrysha
08-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Do you really need to push for an ongoing service? Can't you buy a smaller mailing list (if you have to buy it yourself)...if you can drive everywhere in your territory then it doesn't sound like you need an expensive service to keep track of all the business prospects within your criteria.

Enterprise Technology
08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Do you really need to push for an ongoing service? Can't you buy a smaller mailing list (if you have to buy it yourself)...if you can drive everywhere in your territory then it doesn't sound like you need an expensive service to keep track of all the business prospects within your criteria.

This is a possibility. I would like to be able to hone and modify my prospecting lists as time goes on though.

I recalled a website that a coworker had recommended years ago, referenceusa.com . It seems to have just about all the features of Hoover's, but is free with a library card.

This may be exactly what I am looking for. Has anyone else had experience with it?

-ET

Patrysha
08-29-2013, 12:31 AM
I know there were a couple that were talked about as only being available through libraries...but that was a few years ago and I don't recall the titles, but there were some reference books along that line...can't hurt to check it out. The problem with them I'm sure will be the time it takes to enter and organize the info.

Osprey
09-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I use salesgenie.com also known as infoUSA they charge me $75 per month per license. I like it just as much as Hoovers and it does everything that Hoovers does to include all the filters/sales intelligence and download options if you want them.

If you want the free options - there is Manta.com or yellowpages.com. they are your standard business/phone/employee count. Here's a tip...never even include anything under 10 for the employee count filter.

All the Best,

:)

SupervisorBlog
10-22-2013, 10:48 AM
There are a couple that I have used in the past.
Data.com
Salesforce.com
Zoominfo.com

Take a test run on their trial period before you purchase. Good luck.

tblue
01-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Here is a thorough list...

Hoovers
Insideview
NetProspex
OneSource
Data.com
ZoomInfo
Spoke
Lead411