PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this business name?

danstelter
09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
So, I'm thinking of creating a results-based digital marketing company both B2B and B2C (not enough of them out there). How does this name sound to you?

"Pure Performance Marketing"

Thanks for the feedback and please be honest - you won't hurt my feelings! Feel free to offer alternate suggestions if you want.

zooron_sam
09-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Its a good name but is the domain name available and also have you checked that not overlapping with someones trademark? You can check the US trademarks here - uspto.gov/trademarks/‎
Also while today you are going to be a marketing company have you thought about dropping the "Marketing" from the name incase you need to pivot?

OlegLola
09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I guess it's a good name, but maybe a little bit ordinary. What about thinking about more creative one?

danstelter
09-06-2013, 08:40 AM
I guess it's a good name, but maybe a little bit ordinary. What about thinking about more creative one?

The reason I'm going the creative route is because business owners don't want creativity...they want measurable results. I hear complaining about it all the time, that the results of a marketing campaign can't be measured and that makes CEOs angry.

danstelter
09-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Its a good name but is the domain name available and also have you checked that not overlapping with someones trademark? You can check the US trademarks here - uspto.gov/trademarks/‎
Also while today you are going to be a marketing company have you thought about dropping the "Marketing" from the name incase you need to pivot?

Not using someone else's trademark, so we're good there. I have thought about dropping the "marketing." I'm not overly experienced in this industry...what might a marketing company pivot to?

I'm pretty confident, however, that I can differentiate our services and get competitive enough to the point where that won't be necessary.

Brandscribe
09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Dan,

I think the name is a good start, it states some of your brand values and core proposition to the market, that you're all about results. However I do agree with some of the others that its maybe not the most exciting name in the world, and is perhaps a little bit long with the addition of the word 'marketing'. Abbreviating it to PPM has a bit of a ring to it as its similar to other acronyms such as PPC, CPA, SEM etc, but for that reason it may get lost in the 'noise'.

Another thing to consider, the word performance puts me in mind of high performance cars such as Ferrari, Porsche etc rather than marketing results.

Best of luck :)

wmwire
09-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I tend to prefer a name in which you can easily brand, it is great that 'performance marketing' is there...using a solid brand word (even if made up) can sometimes spark creativity and solidify your image easier than the more generic phrase types.

All and all, best of luck!!

KristineS
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Not wild about it - sounds pretty bland to me. When I read it, my first thought was that it sounded like a million other marketing companies out there and it wouldn't catch my eye. That's just a kneejerk reaction and the name might end up working pretty well for you. To me it just sounded kind of stale.

Business Attorney
09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
My reaction is the same as several others: bland. I think it might serve you very well in the short run. If you plan to stay small, it may actually be a very good name. If you plan to grow and want to distinguish your company in a crowded market, I think a descriptive name like that will be very difficult to brand.

Also, from a legal perspective, if you do grow the business, it will be nearly impossible to garner any trademark protection from people using similar names. It is simply too descriptive of what you do.

patrickprecisione
09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't know, "Pure Performance Marketing" just sounds like a spammy website. Whenever I hear a generic name like that I also assume they're the type of company that uses black hat SEO techniques.

King Akoma
09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Yes, I would have to agree with the others. Plus pure performance makes me think of athletic enhancement drugs lol

I would think of a name that makes a statement, but leaves curiosity. "Think Big" is one of your competitors and their name alone just makes you want to at least check it out to see what the name is all about.

Does that make sense?

DisQ
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
PPM : Pay Per minute.

Now that, has a ring to it. ;)

Bob Blockus
09-14-2013, 05:02 PM
You can always change the name to fit online web site dot com.

SwedeTampa
09-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I always been egocentric so back in the days when I had companies while in High Shcool overseas I just took the first letter from my first and last name and got the rest of the letters from whatever I did at the time.

e.g.
B.J.B = Bengt Jönsson Bricks

Paul
09-20-2013, 12:50 AM
I like "Performance Marketing" mostly because I like "to the point" kind of stuff. The "pure" doesn't make sense to me. As David said it may be hard to brand or copywrite and others think its bland, but for me it says what you do and in a way commits you to "perform". But, I'm very simple when it comes to B2B marketing, I like it quick, simple and to the point. Also, for me "performance" is simple and memorable while cutesy or overly sophisticated names are not.

soum500
09-22-2013, 05:45 AM
I love that is simple and easy to remember. I find it very real as the name.

canvard
09-23-2013, 05:51 AM
well. the keyword to be the domain is a good point.

TroyCo
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I would try to think of something more brandable - Will a business remember your name after seeing one of your marketing pieces or will it blend in with the 1000's of other online marketing companies? A lot of the mainstream business names out there now are pretty non-sensical but they made something large, recognizable and memorable out of it.

Osprey
09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
It's nice - godaddy says the name is taken so if that's not you, you'll have to change things up in the url.

Chase
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I think it's too long, too muc of a mouthful and not very catchy. I'd lose performance, reminds me of cars. You could even have just Pure as a name, although Pure Marketing could work too if it has a great logo, small and simple is better in my opinion, something that will stick in someone's head.

oliamwright
10-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Perhaps something a bit shorter and concatenated such as PureMark or ClearMark with a tagline of "pure performance marketing."

Jeffslayter
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Sounds like an Energy drink company to me. But yea, that 3 word business name doesn't sound bad at all.