PDA

View Full Version : Is a pet day care a bad idea? Pros and cons please

msaelim
09-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Hello, everyone. As some of you know I have posted a few months back about being interested in a staffing agency and getting into recruiting/HR. Honestly I've been trying to get into that industry and break into it for a couple years but it seems so difficult and I can't even get into entry level positions and get stuck with the usual data entry/customer service. I feel like I've had enough of Corporate America trying to climb that ladder.

Anyways, I do have a "back up" plan of a business I'm interested in. If there's one thing that I've always been really felt strongly for it's owning my own business and becoming successful like my family. Anyways, I've always loved loved dogs and cats are pretty cute too. I know it's weird but at a party if there's a dog I'm usually giving my attention to the dogs rather than people. I don't have a dog (I used to have a Rottweiler) but I stay with my bf and his sisters which don't allow dogs.

Anyways, I was thinking of researching into the pet industry. I've been looking at big pet chains, forums, etc. Maybe a grooming/pet day care and as it grows add in obedience training. If I wanted to do this should I get certified in grooming and training and also gain more experience working with different animals? Honestly I'd quit my job to pursue that and I have the financial ability to do so. I'm just tired of being stuck with corporate and feeling like a slave to their rules that make no sense.

I feel like this would be a good idea because I love animals and I don't mind picking up the poop haha. I'd rather do that than clean a diaper like at my sister's day care!

Again, I'm still on the journey trying to find what's best for me to own a business one day. I want that pride, my heart into it, and to be able to build it and say "Yup, I did this!"

msaelim
09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Honestly I'm still interested in staffing but if I can't get the experience by breaking to an entry level position role where I know I can grow in that area then I think I'd have to look elsewhere.

KristineS
09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
The first thing to do would be to look and see what the market is like in your area. Who's already doing what you want to do or doing something similar? What you describe is essentially a location based business, so you don't want to have too much competition - unless of course you're thinking of offering something that the other companies don't offer.

A pet day care is actually kind of a cool idea, and I bet there's a market for it. I'd start doing your research and see what that market is. No sense jumping in until you know your potential customers actually exist.

Russ in Vancouver
09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
DDC, think about location, lease, improvement costs, monthly expenses, advertising. Then think how many clients I need every day to fulfill those costs and how many on top to pay yourself.
I was dreaming of a DDC years ago but the recession came and DDC is an expense that many people will cut off during rough times.

I think I needed 30+ dogs daily to make a decent monthly paycheck.

short post, gotta run GL

Patrysha
09-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Has Frederick been around lately. His wife runs a similar business to what you're describing.

But...I really sense that you're just grasping to come up with anything that will get you out of a JOB. Which is fine, I don't think any of us were cut out to be full time employees here. What I don't understand is why you don't want to go the traditional route into the staffing industry which would be to get a degree in HR...not sure you can be anything but low level, entry level without that and then branch out into your own franchise/agency from there? There's some things you just can't skip when you're aiming for a particular industry...

msaelim
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Honestly the staffing plan is still my #1 choice but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere on that journey. I'm still young I guess, I'm 24 but still frustrating when you haven't gotten into the field you want. A lot of entry level positions turn me down for "experience" in the HR area which I think is pretty crucial to a staffing industry. I have experience with customer service and administration though.

At the moment I've been trying to find part time internships but there aren't any available at the moment. I had one but they said to check back next month for open internship positions. Should I just keep trying and holding on to this? It seems like odds are against me because I've been trying for over a year now. I think my best bet is an internship although unpaid and only a few months (3-5)

Btw, I do have a degree in Business but I'm willing to go back to school for MBA or Master in Human Resource if it may take longer...it's just it seems like it'd be a waste since employers seem to value experience way more.

Osprey
09-13-2013, 08:23 PM
I started a telesales business in the industry I was in for years. If I was starting from scratch, i would join one of the crowd sourcing websites and ask my friends and family to hire me for anything to start me off...then start trolling the help wanted ads. Unfortunately, you will have to compete with very cheap labor in other country's; however, it would get you started and that's the most important thing.

If you do start on those, send me an email. My company is about to start in a new market in California and we will be looking for IT industry specific recruiters - I will interview you if you are through one of the reputable sites.

Starting your own business and receiving a little helping hand in the beginning makes all the difference. I wish you all the best!

huggytree
09-14-2013, 01:32 PM
id call around and find out how much they charge...then try to come up with expenses....figure out how much you can make

you may find the profit is too small

one positive thing I can see is there is most likely a high end market....rich people who want their pet taken care of....but to be able to sell them you'd need to turn your pet day care into an experience....not just dog sitting.....people pay extra for an experience for their pet...this will obviously be 2x or more the cost of a normal pet daycare

danlew
09-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Hello!

To be honest with you, I would really think that pet day care is a good small business for you to start. But before you start the business, try to research what this business is all about, and try to research your competitors and the possible areas that you think most customers are good to bring their own pets for check-ups, their offers, features, services, etc. Once you have researched them, try to take your time in jotting down the things that you would like to have in your pet day care center that are not available from your competitors, and try to compete with their prices and services as well.

The important thing is that you should think positive and become successful in the end. Good luck!

Dan

Steve B
09-15-2013, 06:35 AM
"Honestly the staffing plan is still my #1 choice"

You will likely fail in any business if your heart is not completely in it.

phanio
09-15-2013, 10:33 AM
You are trying too hard to find a business for you and not trying to find a business that offers something to the public. Find an unserved or underserved market in your area and pursue that. If you put your heart and soul in it - you will find success. But, trying to find a business that you want and then cram that down customers throats - you will only find failure.

Its that old saying about the fly that kept flying into the window because it could see its goal (the outside and freedom) through that window. So, it kept flying into that window until it eventually died. But, had the fly only turned around, it would have found that a door to the outside was standing wide open - had the fly only just turned around.

chrismarklee
09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
You have to look at how many animals you can do. What are your charges and expenses. Also, you might be able to be working on another business while you are doing pet care

Steve B
09-15-2013, 04:34 PM
"you might be able to be working on another business while you are doing pet care "

I think this is a recipe for disaster. Most successful people eat, sleep, and breathe their business. Especially in the beginning.

msaelim
04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Should I learn to be a dog trainer first? I love dogs but haven't owned one in several years since I was 13 due to policies on apartments and also my family gave my dog away

shadojake
04-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Should I learn to be a dog trainer first? I love dogs but haven't owned one in several years since I was 13 due to policies on apartments and also my family gave my dog away

I have to agree with those who said that you must find what your passion is ... then follow it. If HR is your passon, then do what it takes to succeed there whether it's more education, doing whatever it takes on the job (so long as it's legal, moral and ethical). If you have any other passion greater than HR, then go for it, whatever IT is.

I have not read anything in your writing that mentions a PASSION of pets like you have mentioned having a PASSION for HR. I am not saying don't do the pet day care but realize it won't be a successful as whatever you have a passion for. I am not saying you don't like pets. There is a difference between liking pets and having a passion to work with pets.

You could give your hand to a dog walking business where you walk dogs for people who are gone all day, maybe up to 12-16 hours a day and can't get home to let their dogs out.

There is a couple in our town who do a pet sitting business. They care for dogs and cats mostly, I think for owners who will be out of town. They go to their clients homes to feed, water, let out the pets, pick up mail/newspaper, and a general home check. They look at the house to make sure no one has tampered with trying to get in, break a window, etc. They make prior arrangements with owners who are out of town as to who to call, etc. in the event of a pet issue, household emergency, etc. They work from their home so they have no need of an office, just a dependable vehicle and a cell phone. If you are truly insistent on trying a pet business, this angle would have less risk than opening a store front. You could have some cards and brochures printed, get the needed insurance and business license and you're pretty much ready to go.

You would not have to rent or lease a building, put in upgrades/bring up to code, etc. any rental you take on. We are taking over the space next to our retail store to add 50% more space to our building. Believe me, there are costs you never anticipate when getting a space ready for business--fixtures, plumbing, phone lines, computer lines, security system, painting, carpet cleaning, etc. There are things you negotiate in a lease you may have never considered. The lady who had the space next to us wanted the landlord to come change her light bulbs when they burned out. However, she had no lease. Even with a lease, the landlord did not change light bulbs. (The bulbs were floursent bulbs and about 12 feet high.) She worked alone and I guess did not fee comfortable climbing a ladder and probably didn't have funds to hire someone to do that.

What happens if you do this start up and 3-6 months down the road you have no customers? Rent is due whether you have customers or not. You will have invested, probably heavily, into fixtures and accomodations for the pets, getting the building ready, etc. All that is money is down the drain if you are unable to build a clientele.

The biggest obstacle to a start up is debt. Having to service debt that you take on for your start up diverts much needed cash to pay a note and interest that could have gone into your business. Whatever you decide to do, do your dead level best to do it with cash.

msaelim
04-29-2014, 07:13 AM
I have to agree with those who said that you must find what your passion is ... then follow it. If HR is your passon, then do what it takes to succeed there whether it's more education, doing whatever it takes on the job (so long as it's legal, moral and ethical). If you have any other passion greater than HR, then go for it, whatever IT is.

I have not read anything in your writing that mentions a PASSION of pets like you have mentioned having a PASSION for HR. I am not saying don't do the pet day care but realize it won't be a successful as whatever you have a passion for. I am not saying you don't like pets. There is a difference between liking pets and having a passion to work with pets.

You could give your hand to a dog walking business where you walk dogs for people who are gone all day, maybe up to 12-16 hours a day and can't get home to let their dogs out.

There is a couple in our town who do a pet sitting business. They care for dogs and cats mostly, I think for owners who will be out of town. They go to their clients homes to feed, water, let out the pets, pick up mail/newspaper, and a general home check. They look at the house to make sure no one has tampered with trying to get in, break a window, etc. They make prior arrangements with owners who are out of town as to who to call, etc. in the event of a pet issue, household emergency, etc. They work from their home so they have no need of an office, just a dependable vehicle and a cell phone. If you are truly insistent on trying a pet business, this angle would have less risk than opening a store front. You could have some cards and brochures printed, get the needed insurance and business license and you're pretty much ready to go.

You would not have to rent or lease a building, put in upgrades/bring up to code, etc. any rental you take on. We are taking over the space next to our retail store to add 50% more space to our building. Believe me, there are costs you never anticipate when getting a space ready for business--fixtures, plumbing, phone lines, computer lines, security system, painting, carpet cleaning, etc. There are things you negotiate in a lease you may have never considered. The lady who had the space next to us wanted the landlord to come change her light bulbs when they burned out. However, she had no lease. Even with a lease, the landlord did not change light bulbs. (The bulbs were floursent bulbs and about 12 feet high.) She worked alone and I guess did not fee comfortable climbing a ladder and probably didn't have funds to hire someone to do that.

What happens if you do this start up and 3-6 months down the road you have no customers? Rent is due whether you have customers or not. You will have invested, probably heavily, into fixtures and accomodations for the pets, getting the building ready, etc. All that is money is down the drain if you are unable to build a clientele.

The biggest obstacle to a start up is debt. Having to service debt that you take on for your start up diverts much needed cash to pay a note and interest that could have gone into your business. Whatever you decide to do, do your dead level best to do it with cash.

It's funny, I've finally got a job in HR for about 4 months now and I'm bored to death just doing paperwork. I mean some interaction with interviews or employees but it's mostly me just sitting all day with paperwork... So I don't think HR is my passion.

I love dogs and like "services" but I still don't know what in really good at or what my true passion is... I have always wanted my own business but it's frustrating not knowing my gift or passion!!
:(

shadojake
04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Earlier you posted:

Honestly the staffing plan is still my #1 choice but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere on that journey.

So you started out with staffing as your #1 choice.

Then you posted:

It's funny, I've finally got a job in HR for about 4 months now and I'm bored to death just doing paperwork. I mean some interaction with interviews or employees but it's mostly me just sitting all day with paperwork... So I don't think HR is my passion.

I love dogs and like "services" but I still don't know what in really good at or what my true passion is... I have always wanted my own business but it's frustrating not knowing my gift or passion!!

So now you are bored to death with it & don't really know what your passion is.

So is the dog day care an excuse to leave the HR field since you seem really unsure about where to turn? And maybe the dog day care sounds like an "easy" thing to do?

In the HR field aren't there aptitude tests you can self-administer to find out where your talents and gifts seem to reside? If so, take one or more and see where you land.

I would suggesst this .... if you decide you want ot open a business, trying working in that field for someone else to see what it's like "behind the veil" so to speak. See what it's like working there, not just shopping there, to see if it matches what you envision.

Find a mentor in the field you find where your talents lie. Have honest talks with that mentor to better understand the pros and cons. If this mentor is local to your area, he or she might can give insights as to what business would work in your area.

I would also suggest the following books by Dan Miller:

No More Dreaded Mondays
48 Days to the Work You Love

JJT99
04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Like most people have said, your business won't be successful if you're not passionate about it and willing to dedicate a LOT of time to it

David Hunter
04-30-2014, 09:09 PM

That's the problem. You don't know what your gift or passion is. What is it that gets you up in the morning??

Have you ever thought about working at a pet day care so you can learn the ropes and figure out if it's what you really want to do? How about even shadowing a business owner of a pet day care so you can see what goes on behind closed doors. You'll know if that's something you have interest in pursuing or not.

billbenson
05-01-2014, 11:50 PM
One thing I didn't see mentioned - income. If you start a business or take a job, what are your income objectives. There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't see pet daycare making you much money. Of course if you are cleaver you could grow it to pet food delivery, selling pet products online etc. The product or service you pick could be the difference between making $60k and $1M. I didn't mention anything below 60k because I don't think anything below that is a livable wage.

I do also agree with the others and find something you enjoy doing.

mrcfoodsrvc
05-02-2014, 06:09 PM
This really made my day! Our company does a blog and one of them has a lot to do with pets, just kind of reminded me of that

10 Animals with Sleep Apnea | Easy Breathe (http://www.easybreathe.com/blog/10-animals-with-sleep-apnea/)

tinker9696
05-03-2014, 09:07 AM
the pet industry is difficult when selling product so it always a good idea to be offering a service. The big box stores and online have the best prices but if you are savvy and know how to manage an online store you could do well with product.
Day care/ boarding and grooming are very popular but you have to have something a little bit different and unique to attract.
I only groom parrots/birds and small animals ( bunnies, guinea pigs) and board parrots/birds and sometimes lizards.
My uniqueness is that all animals have to have a clean bill of health for me to board or groom them to reduce risk of the customers pet contracting anything. For the dedicated and savvy customer it is great but most people don't even realize the risks involved. Anyway my question is what makes you unique/different then any other handy man?

Paul
05-03-2014, 09:34 AM
I think to break into the staffing business is to become a commissioned rep. Learn it that way...how to find candidates aand open positions and put them together. It's not easy, will take awhile to build up a following and make any money.

On the pet care business it seems like a business you can grow into. Start as a dog walker and pet sitter around your town. Theres no real ivestment at risk that way and you can learn and develop contacts with pet owners. Eventually you can open a facility and hopefully already have some customers.

msaelim
05-24-2014, 02:27 PM
That's the problem. You don't know what your gift or passion is. What is it that gets you up in the morning??

Have you ever thought about working at a pet day care so you can learn the ropes and figure out if it's what you really want to do? How about even shadowing a business owner of a pet day care so you can see what goes on behind closed doors. You'll know if that's something you have interest in pursuing or not.

Why of course I'd try to get some experience (taste of it) before jumping into something lol. I know if I was to stick with corporate I would do HR but I've always wanted to start my own thing. I'm really just trying to find myself and what I really really want to invest in. It's difficult. -And yes I'm seeing from other sites how much they charge for the whole day or even overnight and it doesn't even seem much to live comfortably.

I guess I have things I'm really interested in and explore it. For example I was interested in Staffing/HR, Pets, Fitness, and Beauty/Spa.

I explored the HR side which is okay but I hate corporate lifestyle and how it feels. It's nothing but paperwork which I'm okay with IF I want to stay in corporate.

Pet Daycare- Seems like something I would enjoy and explore but after thinking about the profit, it doesn't seem like you make that much at all. Unless maybe I focus more so on bathing/grooming with some daycare service too, but more focus on the grooming. Grooming can be like $15-20/dog in an hour...daycare they charge $20 for the WHOLE DAY! I want to be comfortable in my lifestyle at least. Nothing extravagant but comfortable.

I've always been interested in skin too like massages, waxing, facials, etc. I've even written a business plan/summary researching it when I majored in business.

We'll see. Explore my options. I'd at least research, shadow, look into it before ever jumping all in.

billbenson
05-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Everything you are looking at requires that you do the work. Ya, you can expand and hire people. Your income is limited if you do the work. Why not start with that business model in mind?

phanio
05-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Great idea as long as there is demand in your area and that people are willing to pay. Do a feasibility study in your area or just get out and start asking local residents.