PDA

View Full Version : Which position for my career goals??

msaelim
10-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, as most of you have known, I have been wanting to start a staffing agency in the LONG term future. I've been having this idea for almost a year now and it's still stuck in my head...especially if it has anything to do with HR because I've been trying for over a year now to break into that field. Honestly, I'm having a DIFFICULT time breaking into HR. I can't even get an unpaid internship because of no experience even though I have administrative and customer service experience...not to mention a business degree!

Anyways, the technical staffing firm that turned me down for the HR internship said that they think I'd be a better fit for recruiting instead. I like recruiting but I don't know if that will lead me into HR and I'm scared it's mostly based on commission. The internship is unpaid and only 3 months part time. It's a little closer to my home and possibility to hire. The HR coordinator I spoke to is actually friends with my brother.

Another staffing agency wants to interview me for a FULL time administrative assistant position, 40 hrs/week, and is contract to hire. I do like administrative work too (anything is BETTER than customer service call center job which I badly want to quit).

Which position do you think is best to help me reach my goals in starting a staffing agency one day AND possibly get into HR? Is it possible to get cross trained and ask to learn more about some HR procedures if I do administrative work?

Any advice would help a lot!! Thank you!

Fulcrum
10-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Look at it from another point of view. What is it going to cost and what is it going to take for you to just start the business tomorrow? You've got a business degree and some applicable experience so why not try to put it to use now rather than later.

Also, if your scared about taking a commission only position but still want to start your business, I would advise you to take that recruiter job tomorrow, bust your butt to be the best recruiter in the office, save your money and then start your company in 12 months. Managing and operating your own business has a lot of unknowns and you will need to make decisions based on minimal information. This job can help you learn how to make personal financial decisions when you don't know what your income will be from week to week.

Steve B
10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
The admin. assistant position in the staffing agency will give you a great view of pretty much all aspects of the staffing agency. Just be sure you don't have to sign a "non-compete" agreement.

You've confused me with one of your comments about recruiting. Recruiting is one of the major functions of an HR Dept. So, if you take that job, you ARE in HR.

msaelim
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
The admin. assistant position in the staffing agency will give you a great view of pretty much all aspects of the staffing agency. Just be sure you don't have to sign a "non-compete" agreement.

You've confused me with one of your comments about recruiting. Recruiting is one of the major functions of an HR Dept. So, if you take that job, you ARE in HR.

Sorry if I confused you. Well, I guess now a days it's considered it's own thing. The staffing agency for internship even told me it was separate department.

Thing is, internship is only three months and I may not even get hired.

billbenson
10-07-2013, 06:18 AM
I'd approach it a little differently. I'd get a job, any job, with a large company i.e. Proctor and Gamble. It sounds like you are just starting out your career. In a large company there are internal job boards. It's easy to move around. Do a good job at what you are hired for for a year and then look for your HR job. You will probably need to relocate.

Steve B
10-07-2013, 06:35 AM
They may have it in their own department, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an HR function. Actually, it's probably the most fundamental of the HR functions (locating and hiring the "human" resources for the company). Not to mention, it's certainly one of the primary skills you will need if/when you have your own staffing agency.

msaelim
10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
They may have it in their own department, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an HR function. Actually, it's probably the most fundamental of the HR functions (locating and hiring the "human" resources for the company). Not to mention, it's certainly one of the primary skills you will need if/when you have your own staffing agency.

Thank you, everyone. I have decided I will take the recruiting internship if offered. That other position, the admin asst., is actually not at a temp agency but through one which means I wouldn't work directly for them...

But anyways I found an entry level HR position at a staffing agency but kinda low pay $11.50 but I think it's worth it to me in the long run.

Thanks so much everyone. I mean, right now having my own business is a dream and if it doesn't pan out I would like to work in HR. I don't know indies a god idea or not but I plan to get into management at a staffing agency or learn more about it and do research for now before I even try anything.

Steve B
10-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Let me know if you want any other advice. I was in HR for 18 years before I started my own company. Feel free to PM me if you want.