PDA

View Full Version : Car magazine

MichaelNOCOMPLY
10-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm thinking of starting a car magazine. Except I really don't have time to write the content and find content to write. Would it be stupid to try and hire college students for free to do my graphic design and marketing? With the possibility of getting paid if the magazine sells?
If so where would I post jobs for these positions. Preferably where I don't have to pay to post the job.
Thanks

Freelancier
10-16-2013, 10:46 AM
If you don't have money, don't start a magazine. They are HUGE money-losers until you get enough advertising and paid subscribers. Just ask Newsweek.

MichaelNOCOMPLY
10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
It would be an iPad magazine. I'm not crazy enough to do a real magazine

Wozcreative
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
In the printing/advertising industry, magazines are the lowest paying business to be in.

Do car people guys read magazines on ipads though? I'd imagine the only people that would use them are auto shops for the waiting room. But then they won't use the ipad version, but the printed one.
I have 3 family members that are HUGE car people (and I'm talking about harleys, 18 wheelers and sports vehicles). None of them care to read about it! They'd rather go to a tradeshow to look at what is new.

Freelancier
10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
It would be an iPad magazine

Well, that only makes you slightly less crazy. If you want to start smaller, go with a web site, grab a template, get some articles together, add a forum for people to gather, then start selling advertising.

And remember that a magazine is really just an advertising vehicle with content to break up the monotony. Don't forget that revenue comes first, content is only there to drive better quality and quantity of ads.

huggytree
10-18-2013, 11:08 PM
I read my car mags for free at the grocery store or at the car dealerships

id never think of reading it on an Ipad (if I owned one)

car guys are very old school technology wise with the groups I cruise with.....

maybe if you focused on the young crowd with their low rider civics with florescent graphics.....the muscle car crowd isn't your group

MichaelNOCOMPLY
10-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Yea I was thinking more top gear type

huggytree
10-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Yea I was thinking more top gear type

top gear is all over the map

from driving $1,000,000 cars to driving $500 cars

3 hyper guys who barely make sense...ive watched the show, but don't find it very enjoyable

whats the top gear age group? are they Ipod mag readers? are they specialty car owners or just car dreamers who drive a 2001 civic and like to pretend how it would be to drive a Viper

Harold Mansfield
10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking of starting a car magazine. Except I really don't have time to write the content and find content to write.
Then you don't have the time to start a magazine. Why not just write a car blog? Then if you can build that up to something sustainable, expand it.

Would it be stupid to try and hire college students for free to do my graphic design and marketing? With the possibility of getting paid if the magazine sells?
Yes, no one is going to work for free on contingency. College students may a great source of manpower, but they aren't stupid. If they are doing all of the work and you bring nothing to the table and aren't paying them...why do they need you?

Wozcreative
10-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Then you don't have the time to start a magazine. Why not just write a car blog? Then if you can build that up to something sustainable, expand it.

Yes, no one is going to work for free on contingency. College students may a great source of manpower, but they aren't stupid. If they are doing all of the work and you bring nothing to the table and aren't paying them...why do they need you?

Too many people have this mentality and I don't understand why. Is it an old school mentality where back in the day people needed to prove their own worth or something? As if these kids couldn't just go out on their own and create a car magazine on their own, what do they need you for.. to hold their hand? Since clearly you aren't contributing anything?