PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with "Pop-Up Shops?" (Short term leases)

wonderbread
10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I mentioned in another thread that I sell a lot of stuff on eBay and Craigslist. I'm starting to outgrow my space. I'm reluctant to rent a place, because if it doesn't work out, I don't want to be stuck in a lease. One option I just started researching are "Pop-Up" shops.

The term "pop-up" refers to the short-term duration of the stores, which "pop up" one day and are gone the next. Halloween costume stores are a common example, as are fireworks stores. Pop-up stores are also beneficial to retailers; in a down market, sellers can take advantage of lower rents and shorter leases if they are looking to generate sales but have a limited amount of inventory.

Has anyone tried this?

Wozcreative
10-19-2013, 12:19 AM
You're business will rely very heavily on marketing. If you have the money to market in radio, road signs, mascots etc. then pop up shops can help.

michelle222
10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Pop-up shops could work if the shop has a good location and your products are currently in demand like selling Halloween costumes for Halloween season. Have you tried selling stuff on night markets or perhaps on events that require sellers?

Twhansbury
10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
After reading your other threads I do not suggest you do a pop-up store. If you do a popup site customers may not view this as a trust worthy business and will hesitate buying / dropping their items off for you to sell. Plus you will have to move all your items constantly.

I suggest that you either find a larger area to sublease from someone who is willing to avoid long lease like yourself.

estellepage
11-04-2013, 07:15 AM
You can sometimes get pop-ups inside other stores, rather than risking a whole store to yourself. If no one's advertising in your local area I'd get in touch with some independent boutiques/shops in a similar sector and ask if you can do a pop-up one weekend or for a week - either you rent the space inside their store, or pay them a commission on every sale whilst you're there.