PDA

View Full Version : employee handbook?

huggytree
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
ive decided to write a employee expectation sheet myself for my possible new hires

instead of taking a generic one I decided to just make a list of Expectations/Goals/ Instant dismissals

its just a simple #'d list that fits on 1 page and the employee signs the bottom

since im a union contractor the union already has a contract/handbook.....so mine is pretty much covering things like dress code ,attitude and side jobs

what do you do for your company with your employees? anything I can get a copy of?

Freelancier
10-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Non-solicitation of your clients. Make that part of the legal documents the person signs when they come on board.

huggytree
10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
I have that already in multiple locations...side jobs for my customers=instant dismissal

Freelancier
10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
side jobs for my customers=instant dismissal

Not the same thing. Side job for your clients should mean instant dismissal AND lawsuit to protect your client relationships.

Steve B
10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I make them sign a confidentiality and non-compete agreement. The "non-compete" part lasts for 1 year from the end of their employment. This is probably different than what you have in place.

I don't have a handbook. A handbook can do more harm than good in an "at-will" employment state. If you have a handbook, it needs to be extremely encompassing or else someone could make an argument that they shouldn't have been disciplined for something if you forgot to list it in the handbook. Your union issue will likely mean you won't have this trouble since they specify all/most of the rules. I think you should skip your own handbook and just tell your employee your expectations verbally. With one employee it will be more work than it can possibly add in value. And, as I said, it can actually get you in trouble.

Twhansbury
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
A handbook can do more harm than good in an "at-will" employment state. If you have a handbook, it needs to be extremely encompassing or else someone could make an argument that they shouldn't have been disciplined for something if you forgot to list it in the handbook. .

I agree 100% with Steve. Verbal communication of expectations is far more effective as well. The non compete and customer issues you are concerned about; Being a union business they would have to be doing non-union work with your customers or working for a competitor all issues you would take up with the union.